close
Pinkbike is now part of Outside! As of December 3, 2021, please refer to the Outside Terms of Use and Privacy Policy which govern your use of the Pinkbike website and services.

tips for not popping tires?

PB Forum :: Downhill
tips for not popping tires?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 30, 2013 at 18:22 Quote
I was in kicking horse today and I popped both my front and rear tubes! I was decently aware of the sharp rocks but Is there any other tips on how to avoid popping them? It woul
d save me the 2km walk down after.

Posted: Jul 1, 2013 at 9:24 Quote
You have a couple of options, you could go tubeless but otherwise dual ply tyres and heavy duty DH tubes have always been reliable for me

Posted: Jul 1, 2013 at 10:41 Quote
What tires are you on? How much do you weigh? How much pressure do you run in each tire? I weigh 200lbs with gear, and have to run 35 pounds in the rear tire and 32 in front to keep from pinch flatting on anything fast and rocky.

disclaimer: I am a HACK.

Posted: Jul 3, 2013 at 7:24 Quote
Don't run them too hard so they run over the rocks and bend, and don't run them too soft so they don't pinch. Only practicing with different pressures works. In the meantime, carry an extra tube and a patch kit.

Posted: Jul 3, 2013 at 11:35 Quote
I find KH is hard on tubes, but I never had a problem with ghetto tubeless with dual ply Minions inflated to 35 front and rear. I weigh about ~175lbs geared up. Probably could have got away with less pressure but I was worried about the tires falling off or dinging my rims. After trying to remove the getto setup I realized there is no way in hell the tires would have come of the rim or burped.

That being said, I am now running dual ply Minions with standard tubes inflated to 29f and 34r. If I took this setup back to KH I would probably increase the rear pressure to 38 to be safe.

Posted: Jul 3, 2013 at 12:07 Quote
mainer,

why did you go back to tubes if the ghetto tubeless was working for you?

i have mtx 31s and im trying to figure out if they go good with ghetto tubeless

Posted: Jul 3, 2013 at 20:16 Quote
I sold that bike and bought a new one.

I haven't converted the new bike to tubeless, as it takes about an hour to setup and I found you have to add air before every ride.

I'll probably stay tubed until I get tired of changing pinched tubes. I haven't had to change one yet this year...knock on wood.

My old bike had MTX31 rims.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005949
Mobile Version of Website