Strange wheel movement

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Strange wheel movement
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jul 9, 2013 at 13:32 Quote
hello thanks for taking the time to look at my thread..

firstly let me say this is my 1st bike with disc brakes so im unfamiliar with the set up.. ok so my problem is this when i apply my rear brake there is movement forward and back in the rear wheel however the disc does not move but the hub/wheel does how is this possible?? i dont have this problem with my front wheel.

bike is a CUBE ltd 2012 with deore hydraulic disc's

any help or advice gratefully appreciated

Posted: Jul 9, 2013 at 13:43 Quote
Your disc sounds like it's loose on the hub.

Get it to your bikeshop to fix the issue.

Posted: Jul 9, 2013 at 14:29 Quote
Iz you wheelz/hubz/rotorz Centerlock-type mount? If "yes", iz normal. You can't feel it when riding.

Posted: Jul 9, 2013 at 14:45 Quote
yes they are centerlock mount hubs/discs how come the front doesnt do it?

Posted: Jul 9, 2013 at 21:31 Quote
Then has the centre lock been checked? It still has a oversized nut on it.

But like said, if that's normal I know I wouldn't run them.

Posted: Jul 10, 2013 at 1:14 Quote
seems like its normal from what ive read which is a little disturbing but not the end of the world i had considered stronger wheels anyway so i'll be looking at standard 6 bolt fit hubs this time

Posted: Jul 10, 2013 at 12:17 Quote
sometimes on cheap brakes the pads in the caliber will be a bit loose and actually move back and forth a bit.

Posted: Jul 10, 2013 at 12:27 Quote
no its not the pads ive checked that from wot ive read its a common thing with centerlock rotors

Posted: Jul 10, 2013 at 18:57 Quote
Unfortunately that is a very common problem with centerlock rotors. Have your local bike shop run a check on them to make sure everything is torq'd up to specs though. Its more common on the back wheel also. Just like on v-brakes, if you apply both brakes, and roll your bike, the front will lock up, and the back will roll. Its because of the fact that on your front you body weight contributes to the pressing of the brake, downwards, over the center of the wheel, whereas on the back, your body weight is in the front of the wheel, letting it continue to roll forward.
Just the laws of motion man.

If you hate it, switch to 6 bolt iso calipers and hubs, and you wont have that problem.
Cheers

Posted: Jul 11, 2013 at 8:23 Quote
thanks dude thats a great help im looking at stronger wheels so i'll deffinetly choose 6 bolt hubs.

Posted: Jul 11, 2013 at 15:32 Quote
Try torqueing the Disc bolts down...

Posted: Jul 11, 2013 at 22:10 Quote
DownhillDude97 wrote:
Try torqueing the Disc bolts down...

He has a centerloc disc, no disc bolts used!

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 at 0:37 Quote
I know this is years later BUT have the same "problem" and am now happy with the "problem" after reading this thread ..has put my mind at rest ... thanks...

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017122
Mobile Version of Website