Girls...did the older transition syren frames all crack?

PB Forum :: Girl's Clubhouse
Girls...did the older transition syren frames all crack?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 12, 2013 at 17:28 Quote
I am considering buying an older transition syren (not the newer ones with the extra gusset) frame in small for my sons to ride. We live in the uk and it would be used during our alps trips.

My oldest (12) is not 5'1" and he would fit the syren now, his younger brother (10) will probably during the next few summers.

Oldest is skinny, but tall and like jumps etc, he is not hard on a bike, he 'flows' nicely when he rides. He is light (under 50kg i think).

My youngest is a wuss! bless. He rides slowly and carefully, no jumps etc. Dont think much of that will change over the next few years. He is not as skinny, but still slim.

I would use the frame with 160 floats.

Will my boys die and the frame fail? Heard bad things about the older frames cracking near the top/headtube, hence the newer frames have extra gussets.

Your stories, opinions please.

Thanks a lot!

Simone

Posted: Jul 16, 2013 at 8:01 Quote
I've had my Syren since 2009. Still going strong

Posted: Jul 25, 2013 at 7:24 Quote
I've heard that many of the "non-gusseted" Transitions did crack at the head tube.

I have one of those frames, and I ride it pretty hard and so far I've had no issues.

I have cracked a head tube on a non-Transition bike in the past and I did not die. It's highly unlikely that the head tube is going to completely shear away if it does crack. Like any bike, it's always a good idea to get in the habit of checking it over, including the welds, from time to time. I usually do this when I'm giving my bike a good wash.

I say go for it. It's a fantastic bike for smaller riders. Like all Transitions, it's super fun and playful.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008244
Mobile Version of Website