The way I see it...

PB Forum :: Girl's Clubhouse
The way I see it...
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 17, 2013 at 11:13 Quote
Ok so if any of you ladies out there are like me, you have got into riding because you are a bike widow and have adopted the theory "if you can't beat them, join them" my only issue being I can't actually ride !
So the dilemma for me is, do I go out with the Mr and be a total pain / embarrassment OR do I sneak out alone in a desperate bid to be able to roll up one day like " hey, yeah, I have always been this awesome on a bike"
So my question is - where do all the girls in the UK ride and are there any ladies only places / days? As so far I have resorted to riding in the same place each week with my younger brother as his younger brother status does not allow him to laugh at me going othb and getting grippy hand / white knuckles from fear !
I am determined to prove to the Mr that not all girl riders are shit / slow (his words) we are infact awesome !!

Any clothing tips, riding place ideas most welcome !

Thanks ladies

Posted: Jul 24, 2013 at 22:30 Quote
My advice:

1) Ride for YOU. You must enjoy this, or there is no point. Would you still want to do this, if the Mr. didn't exist? If yes, continue reading.
2) Does HE enjoy riding with you? If you guys are miserable riding with each other then best not frustrate yourselves. If he does enjoy riding with you then I would always suggest a mixture of riding together and not riding together.
3) How do you get better? By having absolutely honest fun on your bike with no worries of why you're riding in the first place. Other ways to get better, include watching lots of videos on the Internet such as PinkBike and YouTube (feel free to send me a PM and I can recommend some good ones), riding with people who are slightly better than you, riding your bike a lot (which you naturally will o if you really enjoy it), and by taking any kind of clinic (this will go a long way).

Good luck and have fun!

Posted: Jul 26, 2013 at 12:50 Quote
Hi Rozio, not sure where you are in the Uk but there are a few of us out there! If you are on facebook look us up at Birds on Bikes Smile

Posted: Jul 29, 2013 at 4:23 Quote
Hi Rozio,

I couldnt ride either back in Nov 2011 - However I was entered by a friend into a XC duathlon because I needed focus. Faced with not riding for about 15 years I feel your fear I didnt have a clue!! However best thing I ever did was get tuition - I have a lovely lady who trained me (and now weve become great friends) and Ive gone from strength to strength!! Currently 18 months later Ive started riding Downhill and doing some serious balck descents across the UK and Scotland. However I am still getting lessons every 4-5 months to get me to the next stage!

If your any where near Bristol she's an amazing teacher, I also know of people who teach in the south west and Forest of dean way if your close..... if not im sure you can find a instructor somewhere!

Its worth it as I am better than my boyfriend on certain terrain and hes been riding for years!! So if your cant beat them, join them, get instruction and be better than them Wink

Also I am in Bristol if your this way - always nice to meet fellow MTB ladies

Trust me Women riders are not shit - we "are the shit" ... they are just scared of being beaten by girls Big Grin

Posted: Jul 29, 2013 at 14:00 Quote
Hi ya,

Diva Descent and Campbell coaching do Ladies only events with coaching etc.. I went to the Diva event in Scotland this may, it was great fun.

Theres a fair few ladies riding at the forest of dean as well.

Letbus know where abouts you are?

Posted: Jul 30, 2013 at 13:22 Quote
Hi Ladies

Thanks for all the advise, I will defo look into the training - sounds like a really good idea ! I'm starting to feel more confident on my bike - was riding down some rocks at the weekend ! Never would have done that a few months ago.. Now I just need to work out how to ride up them !

I live in Kent so there are a few places close by to ride, I just need the confidence to go to some of them as my biggest fear is getting in people's way as I'm slow (er)

Posted: Jul 31, 2013 at 9:54 Quote
Hi Rozio,

I am also in the south east and considering a skills course soon ish, let me know if you are interested in joining me. I am looking into a girls only, or a mixed course, not sure yet.

If the nukeproof is yours I'd say excellent choice (I am having one built at the moment).

Quick tip on clothing, the kona shorts in the sale at CRC at the moment are fab! A very flattering fit and great materials. I am normally a 10 and had to get a medium, just to give you an idea. I have two pairs, one black just over the knee and one brown just above the knee, both are great.

Simone

Posted: Aug 1, 2013 at 6:41 Quote
Hi, I'm in the same boat as my boyfriend has recently got back into riding. he built me a bike to take to fort william to watch the world cup/have a go on some of the trails afterwards. I wasn't sure I'd like it but had an absolute blast. I still can't ride all that well though. I'm doing a ladies only day/taster thing at dalby forest in yorkshire next weekend to hopefully learn some skills. It's probably a bit far if you are in kent!

I used to live in sussex and theres loads of good riding on the south downs/ north downs and places like chicksands bike park are good too. just get out on your bike and do what you feel comfortable with!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012650
Mobile Version of Website