Shimano hollow tech removal without tool

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Shimano hollow tech removal without tool
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 25, 2013 at 1:13 Quote
Hi guys I've got a race soon and it's impossible to get the appropriate tool before and I have to install a new chain guide for it, is there any ghetto way I can remove the cups without damaging them?

Cheers!

Posted: Jul 25, 2013 at 7:11 Quote
You could try a strap wrench (used for removing oil filters in cars). Common thing, it should be available in any store that sells automotive tools:

http://www.amazon.com/Custom-Accessories-19425-Wrench-Pennzoil/dp/B0058I0T7S

Posted: Jul 25, 2013 at 8:11 Quote
If you are talking about crank cap (plastic cap), then you can use hex key no 8 and no 5. You just put both key to the cap hole, it should be fit. Just remember to untied the crank bolt first.

Posted: Mar 3, 2022 at 18:34 Quote
Thank you!! Nine years later... and this worked shockingly well with the Hollowtech II cap of a GRX 800 crankset. Big Grin

manachim wrote:
If you are talking about crank cap (plastic cap), then you can use hex key no 8 and no 5. You just put both key to the cap hole, it should be fit. Just remember to untied the crank bolt first.

Posted: Mar 3, 2022 at 20:43 Quote
Had to check this one out now that I've spotted this thread... The 8 mm and 5 mm hex keys do come together in a way that makes it possible to apply some amount of torque to the HT2 preload bolt... But it's a pretty sloppy fit. I'd consider doing this as an emergency trailside/roadside fix, but only if there was no other option. Feels like it could slip and mangle the plastic bolt if it were stuck/overtightened.

Posted: Jun 17, 2023 at 8:44 Quote
manachim wrote:
Amazing, works like a charm!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008046
Mobile Version of Website