new bike park in aberdeenshire/moray (keith), foam pit, slopestyle, pump track, what do you guys want?

PB Forum :: United Kingdom
new bike park in aberdeenshire/moray (keith), foam pit, slopestyle, pump track, what do you guys want?
Posted: Jul 28, 2013 at 15:40 Quote
This sounds amazing! A Big Jump line would be amazing if its built properly, nothing like that up here. A decent pump track would good too, amazing the amount of fun you can have on them!

Posted: Jul 29, 2013 at 2:48 Quote
iaingouck wrote:
This is an awesome idea! If you need help with anything I'm more than willing to lend a hand.
Ian you never lifted a shouvel at Durris so I think Keith is a bit of a streach.

Posted: Jul 29, 2013 at 2:52 Quote
dhfarmer, im thinking single track would require a little more drop in height than i have, but im not opposed to the idea, it just wouldnt be very steep or very long, mabe half a mile if we really milked it.
big jump lines, drops, ladders and such are fine, thats kinda what i was thinking of myself, somthing thatll be fun on even a dh rig.

Posted: Jul 29, 2013 at 9:06 Quote
pmorgan wrote:
iaingouck wrote:
This is an awesome idea! If you need help with anything I'm more than willing to lend a hand.
Ian you never lifted a shouvel at Durris so I think Keith is a bit of a streach.

I think you'll find Postie Stuart and I built it all in the first place!

Posted: Jul 29, 2013 at 9:07 Quote
[Quote="iaingouck"]
pmorgan wrote:
iaingouck wrote:

I think you'll find Postie Stuart and I built it all in the first place! (Adding to what you did originally.)

Posted: Jul 30, 2013 at 3:17 Quote
Sounds rad, me n my brother would be keen to help out too. Do you have any photos of the land?

O+
Posted: Jul 31, 2013 at 15:31 Quote
A big bike freeride line and a set of nice flowing dirt jumps for the hardtail would be awesome. There is nothing around the Aberdeenshire area unless its built by the locals, and most of the time it just gets taken down. Not enough land around to do what you want!

I won't have time to help really, but I would occasionally have time to enjoy the tracks and pay an 'entrance fee' or membership for the year.

I got the chance to ride at Farmer Johns tracks in Marple outside manchester this year, it had some downhill, dirt jumps, and some freeride stuff. the setup was great, plenty of local races, photo shoots, bbqs etc. and a place to wash the bike. always busy. only cost a few quid per visit if you paid a small annual fee.

Also... a foam pit would be sick!

Posted: Jul 31, 2013 at 22:57 Quote
Not enough land about? What about them hills behind the airport? Thought there would be plenty land for trails up there?

Posted: Aug 1, 2013 at 7:06 Quote
mwilliams wrote:
Not enough land about? What about them hills behind the airport? Thought there would be plenty land for trails up there?

There are- it's called Kirkhill Forest...

Posted: Aug 1, 2013 at 8:03 Quote
When's this looking like its gunna be done?

Posted: Aug 2, 2013 at 3:26 Quote
mwilliams wrote:
When's this looking like its gunna be done?

OP says its just an idea so will need to go through viability / sustainability research. Probably cost of insurance will make it unviable as a minimum 3rd party liability will cost a good few thousand given the nature of the activity.

On top of that there needs to be planning permission, trail maintenance, development, first aid etc. The more facilities on offer mean more overheads = less viable. It wont be open 12 months a year due to weather and useage will drop right off when the weather goes wet.

Will need change of land use, planning to be accepted, the infrastructure will be called into question and the council will no doubt expect to paid to make changes to the roads to allow for increased traffic etc.

Id suggest looking at balnain bike park as an example, it was an early version of this idea and it closed after 2 years despite having FC funding.

As soon as you charge for something you open a bottomless pit of legislation and liability.

The first people id speak to would be an accountant and an insurance broker. If that doesnt bury the idea then get round all the forums to get an idea of potential useage and acceptable cost. Build a business plan, take it to an accountant / enterprise group to review and if they agree its viable then start the planning permission trial. If its granted then go back to your target group and invite them to a face to face at the site to discuss what they want and open threads on forums stating that it is a reality and now all you need is the input so people get what they want when they arrive on day 1.

You have the land and the plant so two major hurdles out of the way already, but unless you cover yourself legally and financially you are wide open to this becoming a disaster.

In answer to the quoted question id say a couple of years at least if it is done properly.

Posted: Aug 5, 2013 at 1:24 Quote
I doubt you will manage bigger than the track in Cornwall. It's massive.

Posted: Aug 5, 2013 at 1:28 Quote
Also, a resi is not as simple as you think, and I'm not sure you understand how massive what you are considering is. A resi alone costs at least £2000 before wood. And a legit foam pit is easily £10000. You can't be putting burst beds in a foam pit people pay for.

Posted: Aug 10, 2013 at 8:54 Quote
but everything needs to start with an idea!
hahaha
insurance etc is the current hurdle, and i havnt even really started looking into many of the other practicalitys. appologys for going rather quiet, been a bit busy with other business this week, and likely next week too.
idea; we declare independance for the republic of mountainbikedom, and ban people sueing. building cool stuff instantly gets a million times easyer and i start building next week? hahaha

Posted: Aug 12, 2013 at 0:28 Quote
Could always just have it on the down-low and have a recommended donation for riding, which just so happens to be compulsory? Or charge for parking cars, not using the trails.

I'm not a law person though you might want to ask one of them.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016265
Mobile Version of Website