Should I keep riding? Is it worth it?

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Should I keep riding? Is it worth it?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Aug 6, 2013 at 13:51 Quote
I have recently ran into some problems with maintaining weight while training and racing cross country mountain biking. The high school season is starting up. I need to maintain 140lbs for my doctor to let me ride, but I feel like I have to eat all day, and it is no fun. I usually sit from 130lbs to 135lbs, which doesn't allow me to ride. I cant decide, is it worth it to constantly be monitored and still race, or to just give it up and do other types of riding? Opinions are welcome.

O+
Posted: Aug 6, 2013 at 13:56 Quote
Why do you have to stay at 140lbs? I would never give up riding until I absolutely have to, so unless it is completely necessary to keep that weight, stick with it.

Posted: Aug 6, 2013 at 14:15 Quote
Yeah, I am going to say keep on riding buddy; honestly I remember when I was your age going through the same thing. Right now your metabolism is probably sitting at its peak. Just remember to keep on top of your diet, lots of quality foods and food high in nutrition. If all you eat is white bread and candy, yeah, your gonna have problems... but as long as your eating healthy, and getting enough water intake, I dont see how you can have any problems.

Have you considered going in for coaching? I imagine a good coach would have much better insights towards training for bicycle racing than a doctor. If racing is what you love, you shouldnt let the word of a doc slow you down (unless of course there is a valid reason besides body weight)

Posted: Aug 7, 2013 at 4:41 Quote
Yeah stick with it fella try not to get to down haerted about it keeeeeep trying .

Posted: Aug 7, 2013 at 4:44 Quote
[Quote="superbikes"]Yeah stick with it fella

Posted: Aug 7, 2013 at 5:41 Quote
Dude I had the same problem..

(Not with the doc but just being too slim... A lot of riders have this problem.)
My friend is a personal trainer, he recommended I had a protein shake before and after a ride, within 90mins of beginning and ending.

In 2 months I put on 12 pounds.
That was 6 months ago.

The weight has stayed on and now I only have one post ride, within 90 mins of ending my ride.

Any good quality whey protein with at least 20g of protein per serving will do the job

You notice your recovery is faster too!

Posted: Aug 14, 2013 at 7:14 Quote
how tall are you, im actually under your weight. It depends massively on your bone density, fat and muscle. XC is hard and it teaches the body to drop weight to be more efficient, do you have a medical problem?

I am asking as obviously if you have a medical problem or the doctor has told you a certain weight its always recommended to follow the doctor.

Are you a xc racer or just a casual rider, have you considered switching to dh or sprinter? the benefit here is that sprinting promotes more muscle gain because it is dependent on explosive power and peak force over a shorter distance, so the body wants to be stronger and cares less about been super light weight.

Obviously before hand you need to talk to your doctor before starting anything new.

What do you eat now in terms of calories, I am a light weight less than 140lbs myself and my fast metabolism means I need to eat 3000calories a day to maintain my weight, my doctor has never told me to exercise less, add in exercise 4000-5000 im looking at, its hard but there are some high calorie healthy foods you can eat.

Home made gainers are brilliant, walnuts, protein, oatmeal blend it with some greens, easily get in 500-1000 depending on how much fat you include, mix it with milk, almond milk, soy whatever you feel.
Avocados, easy to eat as sauces on food, mix salad in it, easy to get in 200-300 with one of those plus its health fats.
dark chocolate is great, one serve is about 200 calories, fairly low in sugars about 10grams. sat fat is high about10grams however approx 50% of this is Stearic staturate which has no effect on LDL cholesterol and is considered neutral type of sat fat.
olive oil is great to add healthy fats and calories.
Musli bars I eat http://www.carmanskitchen.com.au/ the original ones are natural ingredients and pack 200calories per bar easily get in 2-3 of them over the day if not more for snacks

Protein shakes Id avoid whey unless its after a workout, what you want is a slow digestion protein so either a stage released style or a pure casein protein these will sit in the stomach and provide longer release of protein.
You want one around 80%+ no lower than 70, (to do this divide the protein per serve by serving size)
make sure you get carbs with the protein aim for a 3:1 ratio. so 60grams carbs 20 gram protein, or whatever it works out to be. If you are a xc rider im sure you now about during ride nutrition this can be crucial to you keeping on weight. not only food but nutrients and carbs in your water or whatnot. any calories you can eat and stomach during the ride the less you are drawing from stores and your body. generally this will not only mean youa re burning eaten food but it wont really stop you been hungry later so its a good time to pack in some food.

eg. 30 grams per serve 40 gram serving size.
30/40 x 100 = 75%

I know what its like to eat so much food you are so skinny but feel like you're eating like an obese person its hard It is a job, you need to look at eating like training, you will feel sick a lot you will feel full but you can keep going and you will get used to the massive food loads, you will be bloated like no tomorrow. eating smaller more often will help massively too.

Obviously only change your diet or exercise with the all clear from the doctor not from what your read on a forum but hopefully some of this gives you some things to look at and discuss with the doctor

Posted: Sep 10, 2013 at 14:07 Quote
sethcoccimiglio wrote:
...is it worth it to constantly be monitored and still race, or to just give it up and do other types of riding? Opinions are welcome.

I am not a fan of being told what to do. That's why I never got into baseball / football / soccer etc.

Riding freestyle = no boss, no coach, no rules. Just rip it up and have fun.... that's the life for me!

(just an opinion)

Posted: Feb 4, 2014 at 17:18 Quote
If u like to do it do it. Im almost feel your pain. I have to shed weight to race downhill
I dnlont eat that much anymore

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009499
Mobile Version of Website