Who swapped to rigid for street?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Who swapped to rigid for street?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Aug 8, 2013 at 10:20 Quote
I'm about to pull the trigger on a Specialized P.26 for street riding, but I keep finding posts with dudes swapping to rigid forks because they only ride street.

Who's done this and do you really prefer it now?

Obviously it's cheaper and a hell of a lot less maintenance, but is a good front shock really that needless when you only ride street?

Please weigh in with your opinions regardless of which side you're on. Thanks!

Posted: Aug 8, 2013 at 11:38 Quote
i did switch to rigid and i will never go back. Its way more stable, you save a lot of money and you get a stronger, lighter fork. You wrists might get sore for the first week, but after that you get used to it, just like a bmx bike. I even ride my tires inflated to 4.5 bars, wrists feel fine. I don't even understand why some people buy suspension forks for street riding. Smile

Posted: Aug 8, 2013 at 12:43 Quote
coreey21 wrote:
i did switch to rigid and i will never go back. Its way more stable, you save a lot of money and you get a stronger, lighter fork. You wrists might get sore for the first week, but after that you get used to it, just like a bmx bike. I even ride my tires inflated to 4.5 bars, wrists feel fine. I don't even understand why some people buy suspension forks for street riding. Smile

Haha! So true though.

I also agree with your statement. I love my rigid.

Posted: Aug 9, 2013 at 16:03 Quote
coreey21 wrote:
I even ride my tires inflated to 4.5 bars

What does that mean? I ran into something recently that said inflate to 3.5 bars (or maybe it was 4) and I was like "What's a bar?"

How does that translate to PSI? I typically run around 60psi even though the tires can take up to 80.

Posted: Aug 10, 2013 at 0:07 Quote
Couldn't you google it? 4.5 bar = 65 psi., 3.5=50 My tires can hold up to 85 too but they feel rock hard at 65. Big Grin

Posted: Aug 10, 2013 at 10:26 Quote
by no means is this meant in a rude way , but why ride a rigid fork on a dj/street bike? like the bike is what it is because of the suspension fork , if you wanted to run fully rigid setup , why not go a bmx?

the reason why i enjoy 26'ers (also ride bmx) is because of the more stable feel , faster bike to ride , generally really fun....i guess this is the same for you guys? just without that front suspension?

Posted: Aug 10, 2013 at 12:52 Quote
BMX is awesome, but it is kinda easy for me. MTBs are more challenging which makes them more fun Smile

Posted: Aug 10, 2013 at 14:54 Quote
Yeah, theres kinda two schools of thought. Guys coming from BMX and Guys coming from MTB.

To me, for street, there is just no use for a suspension fork. Its added weight, cost, and work. They also cover up your movents making it more difficult the balance.

The solution is to firm up your fork and give it less travel. Making it even more pointless. Why put a part on you bike that cost more than your frame and then make it act like a rigid?

Too each their own though. If at the end of the day you are happy, thats all that matters.

Smile

Posted: Aug 12, 2013 at 13:49 Quote
meridebikes wrote:
by no means is this meant in a rude way , but why ride a rigid fork on a dj/street bike? like the bike is what it is because of the suspension fork , if you wanted to run fully rigid setup , why not go a bmx?

the reason why i enjoy 26'ers (also ride bmx) is because of the more stable feel , faster bike to ride , generally really fun....i guess this is the same for you guys? just without that front suspension?

You do know that mountainbikes originally started with rigid forks, and BMX has suspension back in the days?

Taking this as your point of view saying rigid is for BMX makes no sence. Many singlespeed cross-country riders run rigids too, so do roadies, fixed gears, freestyle fixed gears etc.

The thing with suspension is that it's heavier, a lot more expensive, unnecessary for street/park/dirt, it needs maintenance, and it's less reliable while riding and is weaker than rigids.
But in the end it's all personal preference.

For the P.1 I'd recommend a high rigid fork. At least 435mm a2c like the NS Fundamental, or a 440mm DMR Trailblade II, or an extra long 450mm Dobermann Tchokr. Rebate XL will probably be too long so I don't recommend that.

Posted: Aug 12, 2013 at 15:49 Quote
coreey21 wrote:
Couldn't you google it? 4.5 bar = 65 psi., 3.5=50 My tires can hold up to 85 too but they feel rock hard at 65. Big Grin

I did. Finding the conversion isn't hard. The question still remains though, What is a bar? It's a unit of measure that I have never heard of.

Posted: Aug 13, 2013 at 3:14 Quote
ive got a rigid and i ride street and jumps. I even ride 4X! all i can say is, its light, strong and sturdy, not to mention cheap and easy to maintain!

specialized p series frame bars cranks alex DH rim front Halo combat rim rear Halo hubs DMR Pedals Continental raceking 2.2 tyres ODI ruffian grips Avid brake

Posted: Aug 13, 2013 at 6:44 Quote
PeixeCruiser wrote:
I did. Finding the conversion isn't hard. The question still remains though, What is a bar? It's a unit of measure that I have never heard of.
Bar is a unit of gauge pressure, that is, pressure in bars above ambient or atmospheric pressure. It's used in some European countries. In United States it's probably known in wheather reports where they use millibars. Like when they report about hurricanes and stuff.

Posted: Aug 16, 2013 at 10:15 Quote
Dirt jumps, park, street, cruisin'. do it!!
deity cryptkeeper

Posted: Aug 16, 2013 at 10:19 Quote
ercover wrote:
PeixeCruiser wrote:
Bar is a unit of gauge pressure, that is, pressure in bars above ambient or atmospheric pressure. It's used in some European countries. In United States it's probably known in wheather reports where they use millibars. Like when they report about hurricanes and stuff.

It's quite easy. 1 bar is the natural airpressure on the planet. The pressure when you're outside on the street or anywhere where it's not compressed. So for example when you have 2 bar in your tires, there are twice as much air molecules / there is twice as much pressure in your tubes than in the air outside.

Posted: Nov 19, 2013 at 12:17 Quote
y9pema wrote:
Dirt jumps, park, street, cruisin'. do it!!
deity cryptkeeper
when does this bike get ridden for street?

• Previous Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012404
Mobile Version of Website