Moving to BC: best place to live for riding?

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Moving to BC: best place to live for riding?
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Aug 8, 2013 at 12:50 Quote
Hey guys, I'm planning on moving somewhere in BC for the epic riding, away from flatland Saskatchewan. I'm just finishing up a college degree and want to play the "ski/bike bum" for a year or two. I am wondering where would be a good place to live that would be close to good riding and skiing, and would also have a decent chance at housing/jobs. (some bike shop experience, willing to settle for work)

Based on what I've seen before I have Golden or Kelowna in mind, but you guys probably have a better idea than I do! I would love to do AM/DH riding, but I have great fun with XC too.

Let me know if you need any more info! Thanks.

Posted: Aug 8, 2013 at 18:37 Quote
bump

im planning to move from Arizona to Vancouver/ BC area to pursue better riding.

Posted: Aug 8, 2013 at 19:32 Quote
The loops is an awesome area with what looks like a great biking culture.
(Only been out in winter)

O+
Posted: Aug 9, 2013 at 8:01 Quote
dr-salt wrote:

Kamloops = the loops? I've driven through a couple times and I remember loving the look of the city and surrounding area. Nice and hilly with lots of dirt XD

O+
Posted: Aug 9, 2013 at 8:12 Quote
i made the move from southern ontario to kelowna an am loving it here, awesome riding scene and close to a few ski resorts

Posted: Aug 9, 2013 at 8:52 Quote
dclinton wrote:
dr-salt wrote:

Kamloops = the loops? I've driven through a couple times and I remember loving the look of the city and surrounding area. Nice and hilly with lots of dirt XD
Yeah. Kamloops.

O+ FL
Posted: Aug 10, 2013 at 8:24 Quote
anywhere you go in bc there is riding. do you want big city or small town?

if you really want to be a ski bum pick a big snow area, revy, golden, nelson areas for small towns. they all have outstanding summer riding.

big city kinda guy, can't beat the Okanogan, lotsa snow, great biking, great beaches..... no rain....

more work in the Okanogan than most places if you want to make more than min. wage.

O+
Posted: Aug 10, 2013 at 9:59 Quote
Well i'm originally from Calgary, now I'm in Saskatoon. I like the size of stoon, not too big but still with any service I could need. Obviously that's a bit bigger than interior BC cities tho. I could probably go smaller (100k ppl) but not tiny. The calmness associated with smaller towns seems appealing for what I want. I've been in Golden a few times and it seems like a nice calm, happy outdoors-oriented kind of town. Might be a little bit on the small side for me, but I guess I can't know for sure until I try! I think Whistler in particular would be a bit too busy/touristy for me. Kamloops/Kelowna kind of seem like a happy medium. Also I found Kamloops has the KBR in town!!

More work in the Okanogan sounds like a major factor though. How is Kamloops in comparison in this regard?

O+
Posted: Aug 14, 2013 at 7:41 Quote
d-man wrote:
more work in the Okanogan than most places if you want to make more than min. wage.

I'm not too sure about this. The Okanogan is notorious for workers paying the "sunshine tax" to live there. If you can find work in Revelstoke then you're in the greatest area in BC.

O+
Posted: Aug 14, 2013 at 14:04 Quote
whitebirdfeathers wrote:
d-man wrote:

I'm not too sure about this. The Okanogan is notorious for workers paying the "sunshine tax" to live there. If you can find work in Revelstoke then you're in the greatest area in BC.

f*cking love the Revy trees in winter. Do they do summer lift access for bikes too?

O+
Posted: Aug 14, 2013 at 14:25 Quote
Not in Revelstoke. You could either drive to Silverstar in Vernon or Kicking Horse in Golden.

O+
Posted: Aug 19, 2013 at 17:07 Quote
I've lived and biked all over BC and finally settled in north van. I really liked the interior (spent 2 years in Kelowna and lived in kamloops for a bit too). However, the interior does lack a bit in the AM and XC category. Now before you guys all rip my head off, by "lack" I mean there isn't quite the AM and XC infrastructure that you get in the lower mainland and sea to sky region (still some very solid riding, though).

If you're finishing school and want to be a bike and ski bum, go to whistler. I lived there 3 years and it's pretty unreal. The only reason I left is because I'm in my 30s and wanted a real job. Most people think whistler is only the park, but the park is such a small part of what real whistler biking has to offer. Not to mention, Squamish and the Shore are only a stones throw away and are ridable year round. There are not too many places in this world that you can ride and ski some world-class terrain in the same day.

Posted: Sep 1, 2013 at 9:44 Quote
Ski/bike bum lifestyle fits Fernie for sure. Yes we are a small town, but only 3 hours from Calgary. Tons to do summer and winter. Amazing ski hill epic all mountain, XC and lift access biking, all within riding distance to town (no car needed!!) Will you get a job, yes, will it be minimum wage, possibly. But there is lots of seasonal work and the mine (Teck) is often hiring if you want a 'real job'.

O+
Posted: Sep 12, 2013 at 20:43 Quote
Easy:
RidetheCariboo.ca

Great riding, wicked back-country skiing/boarding and an amazing community.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.073430
Mobile Version of Website