Is it possible to build a really nice road bike on a tight budget ?

PB Forum :: 29ers
Is it possible to build a really nice road bike on a tight budget ?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 8, 2013 at 18:12 Quote
i want to build one of the Chinese carbon road frames.

but bsa and bb30 and other things confuse me.

i have seen sram groupo sets which weigh less
but never owning sram, not sure what to think

i always liked shimano.

what are some things i should focus on mostly ?

my goal is to end up with a really light finished bicycle. 14-16 lbs range

is this possible if i build my bike in stages over time ?

Posted: Aug 8, 2013 at 18:39 Quote
www.excelsports.com in Boulder Colorado set me up with a complete SRAM Rival build kit with Ritchey cockpit and basic Mavic wheels for about $1150 a couple years ago. They have higher end SRAM groups and Shimano groups as well.

The build kit includes everything except frame, fork, headset and seatclamp. I put it on a Cervelo R3sl frame with 3T Funda Team fork. I sold a Shimano 105 equipped Devinci Silverstone SL4 to build the Cervelo. The Shimano front derailleur setup may have shifted a tiny bit better, but I spend most of the time in the big ring anyways. The SRAM doubletap shifter operation is really sweet compared to the Shimano setup with the brake lever for up and a separate lever for down shifts.

Posted: Aug 9, 2013 at 9:34 Quote

anyone have an opinion on sram apex groupo

as the drive train for a budget project ?

Posted: Aug 25, 2013 at 6:14 Quote
Apex won't get you a 14-16lb bike. You'll probably need Dura-Ae or Red for that.

Apex will work well for a budget build though.

Posted: Sep 16, 2013 at 20:20 Quote
Shop around and have patience. I built my Tri bike on a $1200 budget. Half went to wheels, but it's a decent build. 14-16 pounds seems light for a budget build, but that depends on your budget. I know a few running Chinese carbon wheels and frames without any issues. You just have to live with the fact that its not a name brand.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007862
Mobile Version of Website