Protein

• Previous Page
Posted: Aug 9, 2013 at 7:24 Quote
Hey guys

I'v started using protein shakes as I don't get enough protein in my diet (I'm trying to lose weight)
I'v talked to a couple of people about it and they've told me that if I don't have enough protein in my diet then instead of eating away at my fat it will eat away at my muscles and store the fat? Does that sound right?

Anyway I'v been told to have 30g before the gym and 30g after but I'm really worried about putting weight on from it Frown
(Also is 30grams one scoop?)

If you need to know I do 30-40 mins of HIIT then ill do a couple of sets of weights depending of what part of my body I'm aiming at Smile

I'v been dieting and going to the gym for 9 months and lost 7stone I now weigh around 13.7 stone but still have a bit of fat to get rid of :/

Thanks for any help

Posted: Aug 9, 2013 at 7:38 Quote
Oh and I'v been told that the protein I use (maximuscle ) is good for losing weight because of the low carbs, low fat and not an extreme amount of protein

Posted: Aug 9, 2013 at 17:21 Quote
Well that amount of protein in one scoop depends on the supplement you are using. Check the nutritional information on the label to know how much protein is in each scoop.

Protein wont make you fat, carbs wont make you fat, and fat wont make you fat as long as they are consumed in the proper quantities.

Loosing weight really just comes down to one simple equation: calories in vs. calories out. If you burn more than you consume you will loose weight. Carbs are your primary source of energy, but protein and fat are both used. Primarily, protein is used to repair and build muscles after a work out. The only time your body will begin to consume muscle for energy is when all the other sources are used up, including all the fat stored in your body.

Posted: Aug 14, 2013 at 6:26 Quote
Ok now first up I am not qualified so this is my understanding from amples research on my own.

Protein before and after 30 grams is probably over kill, if you're eating a proper diet there is no big reason to have protein shakes, before you add the shakes check the diet, if your diet is messed up no shake will help you.

You should take a shake after you finish the workout, also dont be scared of carbs, when you workout yoau re depleting your muscles of glycogen and when you have simple carbs straight away it will just refuel the muscles, it shouldn't effect your weight lose don't worry.
As mentioned don't be scared of nutrients, you need them all including those carbs, fats are eqaully important, actually more important when low carbing, if you avoid carbs your body can no longer use glucose to run the body and brain so it switches to ketones, ketones are dirived from fat. You need to eat enough calories for living, these super low 1000 calories diets are dangerous.

Good for losing weight, most proteins you buy will be low carb and low fat, fat slows down protein digestion so most whey proteins will have very little to no fat, carbs well most people add carbs to post workout it actually help transport nutrients to the muscles to recover.

It can depending on what the body needs, in general the body will use blood glucose, then stored glucose than it will move to fat and or muscle depending on its needs. muscle tends to be lost when you are virtually empty on fat or the body is in starvation mode and wants to lose muscle to slow your metabolism down.

As for your weight lose are you doing weights? It is crucial you include weights during this process it will help maintain muscle as you drop weight. Why is this important?
If you lose muscle your metabolisms also slows down, doing excessive long aerobic actually teaches the body to lose muscle mass to be more efficient over long distances, it is very hard to build muscle and lose fat at the same time because one require a calorie surplus the other a deflect so the goal is to maintain muscle while dropping the fat.

The scoops as mentioned depend on the manufacturer.

What is your diet like right now maybe there is more to this than a simple shake, it seems like you are falling for the market hype of bad nutrients and scared of calories.

Posted: Aug 14, 2013 at 10:37 Quote
Hey thanks for the help man Smile

For brekfast I have porridge with banana and raisins with a protein shake
Then go to the gym and do about 40 mins of interval training then ill do about 10-15 mins of weights
Then I have a protein shake when iv finished then I get home and have a snack like a bowl of cereal or a sandwich with whole grain bread
Then I'll have something like egg on toast or tuna pasta

Posted: Aug 14, 2013 at 23:16 Quote
liamd-24 wrote:
Hey thanks for the help man Smile

For brekfast I have porridge with banana and raisins with a protein shake
Then go to the gym and do about 40 mins of interval training then ill do about 10-15 mins of weights
Then I have a protein shake when iv finished then I get home and have a snack like a bowl of cereal or a sandwich with whole grain bread
Then I'll have something like egg on toast or tuna pasta

Is that your whole days meal?
Do you know how many calories you're taking in each day?

Its hard to tell you to change it as its obviously been working. So if you just want a ruling on the protein shake. than no having a protein shake after a workout will not hurt your weight lose.

I ask about diet as it seems odd you cant get enough protein from diet. Lean meats are packed with protein. It seems maybe you are doing a very low calories diet, while they do work to drop weight they can also lose you muscle and result in a cycle of (lose muscle>slower metabolism>more exercise>lose more muscle>slower metabolism> etc)
A proper eating plan will not drop weight as quickly but it will help ensure you keep the weight off and maintain your body in a healthy way

Posted: Aug 15, 2013 at 2:25 Quote
Yea that's the whole day but I do have snaks like fruit

Yea I'v been working out for about 9months but my diet has changed a lot
Yea I got told that I'd lose muscle wich is why I got reckomended to use protein shakes and do weights Smile and I have noticed a difference Smile

Also are almonds good to snack on? People say there good but the high calories and high fat kind of scare me :/

Posted: Aug 15, 2013 at 2:58 Quote
liamd-24 wrote:

Yea I got told that I'd lose muscle wich is why I got reckomended to use protein shakes and do weights Smile and I have noticed a difference Smile

Also are almonds good to snack on? People say there good but the high calories and high fat kind of scare me :/

I think the key here is calories in vs out, your body has a minimum calories it need to live without exercise, add in your exercise/daily movement you get your daily calorie expenditure. this number is the number you work off, from here you work out if you workout more or eat a little less (say no less than 500 calories under maintaince) is pretty safe from my reading.

If you can eat nuts and still lose weight, go for it.
Nuts are pretty good snacks, they fill you up, I would probably eat walnuts over almonds if you enjoy them, they have better omega ratios (I wont get into that), but its better for heart health (or so the research says).

Some people suggest nuts actually help you lose weight.

Not to be rude but you seem very in the dark about losing weight sometimes? sort of in the hype of carbs bad, calories bad, eating bad hahaha.

Look into losing weight healthily, or health weight lose, the truth about diets etc stuff to really uncover the facts.

The reality is the body needs food to live we all have a certain calorie intake that maintains our body weight, generally you want to find this and than subtract 500 calories per day as a start, either by eating less or exercise.

Another reason the low calorie diets are bad aside from the cycle I spoke about earlier is the intake is so low it can be dangerous to the bodies basic functions if it is too low, you may also be lacking vit and minerals, its better to eat properly and lose weight slowly or eat more to ensure you get your nutrients to stay health and exercise a little more.

With weights, 10-15min probably isn't enough.
but if you are at a gym talk to a trainer about it, they will probably suggest you spend 30min doing some compound workouts, not to gain mass (although you may) but to keep you strong and keep the metabolism firing so you don't lose muscle.

its hard to say on a forum everyone is so different.

Its all about balance.

Posted: Feb 2, 2014 at 3:43 Quote
The protein shake after the gym is more important than the one before it as you need to feed you muscles and help you recover.

The main factor in the op's diet is your lack on coloured food. You should eat a good amount of salad/veg a day. These have a small amount of calories, varied amounts of protein but most importantly they have the nutrients your body needs to lube itself and increase fat burning/metabolism.

The other thing you need to work out is how many calories your body needs per day. They say a man needs 2.5k a day, I know for me that's far to many and on a active day I actually need around 2k and on a non active day 1.5/7. To loose weight I'd first work out what you need and take off around 400 along with adding 1hour of HIIT exercise.

Regarding working out if your doing HIIT exercises you shouldn't need to worry about loosing muscle as they're mainly cardio but done correctly will provide you with compound work as you final few reps will be a absolute bitch. Another good thing about HIIT is it raises your body's resting metabolism meaning you'll burn fat for a good 2-3 hours post exercise.

All I would advise is add 1 multi vit, omega 3,6,9, iron, and vit D tables a day with breakfast. Also have a look into creatine and BCAA's. These are both really good as a pre gym work outs raising body temperature, raising testosterone thus increasing your body's metabolism aka fat burning capabilities. Swap these for your pre workout shake and you'll feel a difference within 14days

Posted: Feb 2, 2014 at 19:35 Quote
Dirtjumpmomkey wrote:
The protein shake after the gym is more important than the one before it as you need to feed you muscles and help you recover.

The main factor in the op's diet is your lack on coloured food. You should eat a good amount of salad/veg a day. These have a small amount of calories, varied amounts of protein but most importantly they have the nutrients your body needs to lube itself and increase fat burning/metabolism.

The other thing you need to work out is how many calories your body needs per day. They say a man needs 2.5k a day, I know for me that's far to many and on a active day I actually need around 2k and on a non active day 1.5/7. To loose weight I'd first work out what you need and take off around 400 along with adding 1hour of HIIT exercise.

Regarding working out if your doing HIIT exercises you shouldn't need to worry about loosing muscle as they're mainly cardio but done correctly will provide you with compound work as you final few reps will be a absolute bitch. Another good thing about HIIT is it raises your body's resting metabolism meaning you'll burn fat for a good 2-3 hours post exercise.

All I would advise is add 1 multi vit, omega 3,6,9, iron, and vit D tables a day with breakfast. Also have a look into creatine and BCAA's. These are both really good as a pre gym work outs raising body temperature, raising testosterone thus increasing your body's metabolism aka fat burning capabilities. Swap these for your pre workout shake and you'll feel a difference within 14days

Actually having protein before the gym is more important, because it means your body has that available and the aminos during the workout, if you had to choose one choose the before workout shake.

I dont quite know what you mean by "You don't need to worry about loosing muscle as they're mainly cardio" cardio is the major source of muscle lose, mostly long cardio though due to the bodies adaptions to what it should be like. As for HIIT, HIIT is best but its due to the adaptions its giving the body, HIIT are short burst of high intensity exercise, these rely purely on power and force, for the body to exert maximum power and force it needs muscle so your body actually works at preserve and building muscle. (this is way HIIT is actually a aid in building muscle if you can do it and eat the calories).

I'm not sure how at the end you are getting a compound exercise either, can you explain what you mean and how you are getting this?

As for post burn (known as EPOC), most exercise will do this, HIIT actually last upto 48hours, however the effect is small. That's why all these blogs saying HIIT is more effective than long distance for weight is complete BS, maybe if you're working out the same time but if you have the time to do long aerobic workouts you should, HIIT also uses a completely different energy pathway and while calories burnt is the end goal it can matter which type you do. There are some techniques in where you do one type about 2 hours prior to the other, the first session activated lipolysis which is the break own of fat, this than enters the blood stream and can be used as a primary fuel during the next session. Id have to find the paper if anyone interested.

supplement advise, First off a multi might be a good idea but unless you're lacking in something or need the extra you might not need it at all. But I think it may be wise to consider. Omega 3,6,9. O9 is created by the body you don't really need to get it in a supplements the O3/6 are the ones you need from diet. Because you're eating low foods its probably worth considering measuring your intakes. Omega6 is already generally high in most modern diets, way to high actually so its unlikely you will need this but check anyway, Omega 3 is a good overall supplement but needs to be safe to take, all supplements have the ability to effect blood pressure, other medication etc so you should ALWAYS see a doctor before taking anything new.

For some additional information, most people need to focus on reducing omega 6 rather than increasing omega3 the end result in both is to achieve a good ratio but some studies show negative effects with high doses of omega 3.
VitD haven't done enough into it but our main source is the sun but we also get amounts from some foods, so if you want to consider vit D get a blood test for your level first it might be pointless.
BCAA's might be worth it, you get BCAA's from all protein and food, so I don't know if you need it. Id ask the previous poster to explain why they suggested that please, in case im missing something.

Now creatine, dirtjumpmomkey can you please show me the evidence you have for its effect on fat burning and its results. I have not looked into that area of it. I am skeptical though.

Op as stated I am not qualified so take this info at your own risk.

Posted: Mar 4, 2014 at 18:04 Quote
The basic idea behind Creatine is that after sufficient "loading" it allows the user to accomplish more intense workouts, thus building muscle at a faster pace. Thats the general idea behind it, I'm not a professional, that's just what I've gleaned from the world of body building. Creatine will cause you to retain water, which can lead the uninformed to think they're getting "fat." Once the user cycles off of Creatine, the water retention returns to it's normal level, and if proper diet and exercise is practiced, the muscle gains stay.

There's still much debate as to the validity of creatine, many, many, many body builders swear by it, but health professionals have a tendency to doubt it.

I'm not offering a professional opinion, nor am I claiming that all I've said is 100% true (I don't know how it all works at a molecular level), but if I'm wrong feel free to correct me.

In essence, Eat a healthy diet (yay subjectiveness!), Don't be scared of cardio (doing either long-session, or HIIT is still better than being a couch-olympian), and utilize proper training (core training is the most important for mountain biking, with legs following closely) and you'll hopefully accomplish all your goals.

Just my 2 cents
Allix

Posted: Mar 4, 2014 at 19:55 Quote
allix2456 wrote:
The basic idea behind Creatine
Allix

I can further this with some more indepth detail however like allix2456 I am not qualified in anyway and all this information is from personal research online and I am not offering a professional opinion, nor am I claiming that all I've said is 100% true.

But here it is

The body has creatine without the use of supplements, it creates it and obtains it through diet, but obviously supplements can boost the amount, where the benefit comes from is the energy cycle involved during lifting or short burst cardio.

Trying to keeping it simple

ATP- adenosine triphosphate (triphosphate as sounds contains 3 phosphates)
CP - Creatine phosphate
ADP- adenosine diphosphate (diphosphate again contains 2 phosphates)

When we lift weights or sprint for short ~10sec bursts we use the ATP-CP energy pathway.

The body has only a few seconds of ATP 1-3sec for fuel so it relies on CP to help it recycle.

The cycle
ATP releases energy for use by breaking down, when broken down it breaks off the outer most phosphate resulting in ADP and one free phosphate.

So right now you have ADP and single phosphates floating around

CP then breaks down and its phosphate is donated directly to ADP to re-form ATP thus re creating the cycle. This adds about approximately 8-10seconds of energy.

So with ATP and PC together "ATP-PC pathway" we have approximately 10-12seconds of fuel from this source.

So what does this have to do with creatine supplements
Creatine binds to the free floating phosphates that is created during the ATP break down to ADP, thus creating creatinephosphate (CP), this extends the time period that this pathway can be used.

How does this help you?
More stores of creatine mean you will deplete this store later in the workout and therefore you can workout a little harder.

By giving you more fuel thought you need to use that fuel so you need to do the work, it means you can use that extra 2 or 5 lbs or you can pump out those extra 2 sprints or few seconds, essentially using creatine will help give you more energy but you will only see gains if you use this energy to work out harder. Its only minimal effect but for those who are very serious any extra load they can helps them improve. Don't expect it to be some miracle.

Creatine is still understudied long term and we don't know the long term effects of supplementation and it only helps to boost natural supply, I personally don't use it but i can definitely see the draw of doing so.

I see more reason for downhill riders to use it for events because water weight is not a worry and the event involves short burst of energy over 4-5min, for endurance events the ATP-PC cycle is not really used, there may be some indirect effects that aid in recovery but I need to look into that further but it shouldn’t have any effective on race times actually with the increase in water weight it may be bad.

Posted: Mar 8, 2014 at 12:38 Quote
liamd-24 wrote:
Hey guys

I'v started using protein shakes as I don't get enough protein in my diet (I'm trying to lose weight)
I'v talked to a couple of people about it and they've told me that if I don't have enough protein in my diet then instead of eating away at my fat it will eat away at my muscles and store the fat? Does that sound right?

Anyway I'v been told to have 30g before the gym and 30g after but I'm really worried about putting weight on from it Frown
(Also is 30grams one scoop?)

If you need to know I do 30-40 mins of HIIT then ill do a couple of sets of weights depending of what part of my body I'm aiming at Smile

I'v been dieting and going to the gym for 9 months and lost 7stone I now weigh around 13.7 stone but still have a bit of fat to get rid of :/

Thanks for any help

I know you posted this forever ago but you should be having 1 gram of protein per 1 pound of your body weight. To lose weight you have to be in a calorie deficit which would be below whatever your maintenance is. The best way to go is calculating your macro's (proteins, carbs, and fats) for whichever goal you're trying to achieve. I would suggest going to IIFYM.com to calculate how many calories you should be consuming for your body weight and height in order for you to lose weight. Bodybuilding.com is also a great resource to educate yourself on proper nutrition.

Posted: Mar 13, 2014 at 1:52 Quote
just eat a balanced diet - if you need extra protein through in some lean fish, chop chop chicken...

unless you're a super athlete stay away from supplements

Posted: Apr 14, 2014 at 17:16 Quote
slidways wrote:
liamd-24 wrote:

I think the key here is calories in vs out, your body has a minimum calories it need to live without exercise, add in your exercise/daily movement you get your daily calorie expenditure. this number is the number you work off, from here you work out if you workout more or eat a little less (say no less than 500 calories under maintaince) is pretty safe from my reading.

The calories in vs calories out theory is true, but it's also a little flawed, not every calorie is the same. For instance, a mcdonalds meal has 1500 calories. 1500 calories from real food, vegetables, fruit, etc will be treated differently.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011891
Mobile Version of Website