Is Bmx dying?

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
Is Bmx dying?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 11, 2013 at 23:16 Quote
Hi everyone, i've been noticing that bmx has slowed down, pretty much flat lined right now. others may disagree, but look at the facts. VitalBmx for example, great website, but the riding; videos; tricks; product; contests (xgames especially) has been the same for the past 5-6 years, possibly longer. There has been no original style, the same style for all "street" riders, despite the few i've always loved. With x games "Eliminating the BMX Park and Skateboard Park events removes one additional contest venue and two televised events from the equation as the city concludes its 11-year run hosting the X Games. Moto X Best Trick is also out of the lineup in Los Angeles this year, as previously announced. Reed said despite the removal of the moto, skateboard and BMX events, X Games is not scaling back the Los Angeles event, and said a full list of X Games L.A. disciplines, sports and venues will be announced shortly" There seems to be no hope, especially with the same riders winning every contest every year. I mean x games will probably die the next couple years anyway, the street bmx course sure didn't do any justice for the riders. I love Bmx, i love riding, i love the pros, i love everything about it, i just feel the industry, and riding has been the same. There has been a little progression with some riders, like the 60 footer jump, and DreamLine 2013, but other than that everything has been the same. I will always ride bmx, always love it, and love the original levis Bmx team, i just feel the lack of style, and lack of progression has caused bmx to slow down.

please respond with your opinions, thanks!
BMX & MTB FOR LIFE! /m/m/

Posted: Aug 13, 2013 at 13:47 Quote
just changing, personally ive seen the number of local jams, comps, and edits increase ten fold from what it was a few years back and had 5 new skate parks built locally since this time last year Smile

Times are changing, scootering has shot up, but in a few years most will move over to bmx if they still scoot.

as for the international or pro level scene i still see progression, the bmx worlds this year were well worth a watch,
course designers have good and bad years tho i think there is a lot of life left in bmx yet. Smile

Posted: Aug 13, 2013 at 21:13 Quote
BullitMS20 wrote:
Hi everyone, i've been noticing that bmx has slowed down, pretty much flat lined right now. others may disagree, but look at the facts. VitalBmx for example, great website, but the riding; videos; tricks; product; contests (xgames especially) has been the same for the past 5-6 years, possibly longer. There has been no original style, the same style for all "street" riders, despite the few i've always loved. With x games "Eliminating the BMX Park and Skateboard Park events removes one additional contest venue and two televised events from the equation as the city concludes its 11-year run hosting the X Games. Moto X Best Trick is also out of the lineup in Los Angeles this year, as previously announced. Reed said despite the removal of the moto, skateboard and BMX events, X Games is not scaling back the Los Angeles event, and said a full list of X Games L.A. disciplines, sports and venues will be announced shortly" There seems to be no hope, especially with the same riders winning every contest every year. I mean x games will probably die the next couple years anyway, the street bmx course sure didn't do any justice for the riders. I love Bmx, i love riding, i love the pros, i love everything about it, i just feel the industry, and riding has been the same. There has been a little progression with some riders, like the 60 footer jump, and DreamLine 2013, but other than that everything has been the same. I will always ride bmx, always love it, and love the original levis Bmx team, i just feel the lack of style, and lack of progression has caused bmx to slow down.

please respond with your opinions, thanks!
BMX & MTB FOR LIFE! /m/m/

From what it seems to me, you limit yourself to watching only a few events and using one bmx website.

Posted: Aug 15, 2013 at 4:48 Quote
Bmx is growing the scene is dying...

Posted: Aug 18, 2013 at 12:14 Quote
Vital?
What a bunch of hoodlums.Especialy the mod........

Posted: Aug 18, 2013 at 20:11 Quote
10 years ago we had a lot of trouble getting any good parts to build a bike. And a half decent complete that you would be caught dead riding did not exist. The only completes out there were junk made for kids by big bike company's like haro and specialized.
Macneil was just getting started and I rode their first frame, bars and forks as they came out. Used all the best available primo parts and Alex rims. I had a 44 tooth sproket because micro drive didn't exist yet. My bike tipped the scales at 38 lbs.

Now, 10 years later, every single shop out there has at least a small selection of BMX parts and usually a good selection of completes for as little as $400

I took a 7 year break from riding, but I just got a 25lbs Macneil complete off Craigslist for $300 and started hitting the old DJ and street spots again. The bike is flat out amazing compared to the last bike I owned (that first 38lbs Macneil)

So my point in all this? From my perspective BMX is as big as it has ever been. There was no local skatepark contest series 10 years ago when we were big into it all. Now we have Canadian Concrete. Forget the x-shames and espn, that is purely about making money. There is more money in rally cars and trucks than little kids bikes.

If you want to see real progression, take a break for 5 years or so. Don't even look at bike magazines or youtube videos of biking. When you come back I guarantee your mind will be blown! Smile

Posted: Aug 19, 2013 at 1:17 Quote
trick progression hasnt been that significant, its like the bar was set by a select few dudes before, now the baar moved a small bit, but everyone is at it

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006555
Mobile Version of Website