What's a good, (cheep) flashgun for a canon t2i?

PB Forum :: Biking Photos
What's a good, (cheep) flashgun for a canon t2i?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 19, 2013 at 11:02 Quote
Can someone name a cheep flashgun/speedlight which would work wirelessly with a canon t2i?

Not sure if you need a trigger aswell to make it wireless?

Any help is good, thanks!

Posted: Aug 29, 2013 at 21:40 Quote
Do they call them flashguns in the UK?

I'm pretty sure for the t2i, you will need a remote trigger. The gold standard is Pocket Wizard.
You can pick up a used 430EX II for a good deal on eBay.
Another, slightly more expensive and technically involved but MUCH higher control and ultimately better final quality option would be a monolight, which can be picked up at a minimum of just over $300 from B&H (this is for a decent entry level kit, not some POS you find on eBay).

Personally I'd suggest you go with the monolight kit and learn how to use it. External flashes like the EX430 are great, but they dont offer the level of control you can get with a monolight, and the monolight will last you much, MUCH longer as they dont evolve nearly as rapidly as flashes do (they're kind of like film; someone found a formula that worked and it hasnt needed any major changes in a long time). One major advantage of a smaller flash head would be that you can just slap it on your camera and shoot for events and such (although I wouldnt suggest you ever use a flash directly mounted to your camera, because like the integrated flash this will cause harsh direct lighting). The tradeoffs are portability vs control and quality.

Let the naysayers and other opinions commence...

Posted: Aug 31, 2013 at 14:49 Quote
Its a fully manual flash, so you're going to have to learn what power to use when, and probably get a light meter. But the Yongnuo YN-560 II is a nice, low price flash that will work with your camera. You will need to get remote triggers, though. I wouldn't recommend an infrared system if you plan on using them outdoors, because they need a line of sight and generally have a much shorter range.

http://www.amazon.com/Yongnuo-YN-560-Speedlight-Flash-Nikon/dp/B0079M711S

Posted: Oct 28, 2013 at 13:23 Quote
DCentral2 wrote:
Can someone name a cheep flashgun/speedlight which would work wirelessly with a canon t2i?

Did you gt a flash in the end?
I used a 430EXII for a while, and put up with a yonguo (or whatever it is) radio trigger. It only offers manual mode which is good to get started. If you can afford the canon 430EXII, this is good. Yong also do a 430EXII replica which is OK (mentioned above I think)...

Posted: Oct 28, 2013 at 14:25 Quote
somguy wrote:
DCentral2 wrote:

I used a 430EXII for a while, and put up with a yonguo (or whatever it is) radio trigger. It only offers manual mode which is good to get started. If you can afford the canon 430EXII, this is good. Yong also do a 430EXII replica which is OK (mentioned above I think)...

Yes I have now. Thanks for the advice. Got a yongnou YN560 III, still looking for a remote trigger though.

Posted: Oct 28, 2013 at 15:16 Quote
DCentral2 wrote:
somguy wrote:
DCentral2 wrote:

Yes I have now. Thanks for the advice. Got a yongnou YN560 III, still looking for a remote trigger though.

cool. I was talking about these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yongnuo-RF-602-wireless-flash-trigger-Nikon-2-receivers-/130489897624?pt=UK_Camera_Video_Lights&hash=item1e61cdd298

I recently upgraded my system so will be selling my set of triggers (same as above). Will put 'em on the bay. Suspect they will go for f-all, so if you're interested let me know and I'll post you a link.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009356
Mobile Version of Website