Fox 40 VS rockshox boxxer

PB Forum :: Downhill
Fox 40 VS rockshox boxxer
  • Previous Page
Posted: Aug 26, 2013 at 11:43 Quote
Hi, I'm looking for a dual crown fork for my 2010 rocky mountain flatline FR. My 2 top choices are the fox 40 float fit rc2 kashima or the rock shock boxer world cup keronite. My riding style is very rough rocky and rooty trails with the odd big jump and lots of corners. My first choice would be the fox just because I know some of the guys there but my friends run boxers and of course they are bad mouthing fox trying to get me to buy the boxxer. I want to here your guys opinions on this. Open to other DUAL crown forks. Thanks. Big Grin

Posted: Aug 26, 2013 at 15:16 Quote
Full Disclosure - I own a Boxxer World Cup.

This is what I've heard regarding the two:

1.) Boxxer is much lighter than Fox. This is always a good thing.

2.) Boxxer is flexier than the Fox, due to it's narrower stanchions. This is almost always bad.

3.) Boxxer requires less maintenance, and is supposedly less finicky than the Fox. This is good or bad depending on who you are and where you ride.

4.) Fox is supposedly more plush. Also good or bad depending on how you ride.

I've never ridden the Fox, and I've only got a few days on the Boxxer, so I can't speak from experience, I'm solely speaking from what I've heard from mechanics and those who ride both.

Posted: Aug 26, 2013 at 20:15 Quote
MasterSlater wrote:

2.) Boxxer is flexier than the Fox, due to it's narrower stanchions. This is almost always bad.

3.) Boxxer requires less maintenance, and is supposedly less finicky than the Fox. This is good or bad depending on who you are and where you ride.

I've never ridden the Fox, and I've only got a few days on the Boxxer, so I can't speak from experience, I'm solely speaking from what I've heard from mechanics and those who ride both.
Thank you. I have heard that you have to service the fox 2 times a year. I am lighter than more riders so I would prefer a fork with more of a softer feel I hate the way the boxxers flex in the corners and bounce around in the rocks when I rode my buddies and fox isn't supposed to do that but i guess people prefer that once they get used to it. And foxes parts are much more cheaper then SRAMs are if something ever went wrong with the forks. I was just wondering if any of this is true and what would be your pick of any fork if you had a choice. Thanks

Posted: Aug 26, 2013 at 20:55 Quote
MasterSlater wrote:

^Sounds about right to me.^
I have Boxxers on all my bikes and they've been trouble free for the most part. I only weigh 150 lbs, but I ride aggressively and barely notice any flex. I do like the 'plushness' of the Fox 40, but it's not worth the high maintenance IMO.

Posted: Aug 26, 2013 at 21:00 Quote
I have a 40 rc2. Good fork. I've owned it half a year now, I built it up from parts. It can be setup for different type of riding which is nice, and has the stiffness you'll want that you can really push off from. Stiffness > lightweight imo. Btw I'm a light rider, too

Posted: Aug 26, 2013 at 22:33 Quote
jetpilot wrote:
MasterSlater wrote:

^Sounds about right to me.^
I have Boxxers on all my bikes and they've been trouble free for the most part. I only weigh 150 lbs, but I ride aggressively and barely notice any flex. I do like the 'plushness' of the Fox 40, but it's not worth the high maintenance IMO.

I am fine with a little servicing and upkeeping. To make sure the fork works well. I want a fork that will last a long time that is reliable, I understand that there will be a little bit of upkeeping and part will haved to be replaced eventually. I enjoy taking care of my bike and the parts on it. What would be your first fork that you would pick, putting aside all the servicing and maintaining. But pick on the performance wise.

Posted: Aug 26, 2013 at 23:36 Quote
The 40 Float and the Boxxer WC weigh the same.

Posted: Aug 27, 2013 at 8:56 Quote
Merici wrote:
The 40 Float and the Boxxer WC weigh the same.
Thanks I was just thinking about that. The 40 is only a couple grams heavier.

Posted: Aug 27, 2013 at 8:58 Quote
What would be your first pic on any fork any brand.

Posted: Aug 27, 2013 at 9:05 Quote
Dorado or the BoxxerWC/Float.

I'm not a fan of the Fox40 feel, but that's just personal preference.

The Boxxer is being completely redesigned for 2014, and is expected to rock.

The DVO is expected to rock.

The Marzocchi 380 is expected to rock.

Grab a used cheap fork and wait?

Posted: Aug 27, 2013 at 9:07 Quote
Merici wrote:
Dorado or the BoxxerWC/Float.

I'm not a fan of the Fox40 feel, but that's just personal preference.

The Boxxer is being completely redesigned for 2014, and is expected to rock.

The DVO is expected to rock.

The Marzocchi 380 is expected to rock.

Grab a used cheap fork and wait?
I have a new domain dual on the way until I decide. Thanks for the help.

Posted: Aug 28, 2013 at 11:11 Quote
I've had and done side by side testing on both the fox 40 float and the boxxer WC's. the fox 40 air is much more supple and smooth in it's travel and it is more planted through rocks and rough sections. The boxxer World Cup took a lot longer to get it to feel nice enough to ride and it felt almost as if it had two stages so it blew through the first half and then the second half was very hard and stiff. The fox felt consistent all the way through it's travel. The boxxer although slightly lighter isn't as nice to ride in my opinion.

Posted: Aug 29, 2013 at 21:39 Quote
i have a 40, they require a decent amount of maintenance but ride like nothing else. super stiff, track the ground awesome and have wicked compression controls. personally id never ride the current boxer forks, not enough small bump compliance plus lack of a proper bladder cartridge just isnt enough these days. Next years boxxer should rock how ever, the charger cartridge in the pike is groundbreaking, i hear they are moving it over.

Posted: Aug 30, 2013 at 3:21 Quote
40! once a year maintenance isn't that bad right?Smile

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.029927
Mobile Version of Website