Fox 40 VS rockshox boxxer

PB Forum :: Downhill
Fox 40 VS rockshox boxxer
Posted: Sep 5, 2013 at 12:37 Quote
FOX all the way!!!!

Posted: Jul 2, 2014 at 1:33 Quote
hi,

I ride fox40 coil and boxxer wc.

At the moment I got a boxxer WC on my'girlfriend bike and a fox40 on mine.
I switched them two times between the two bikes during a week of riding so here my 2 cents:

Boxxer is lighter and this for me is the most important thing. It makes the bike very easy to handle in all conditions. Jumps come easy and roots are simplier to handle.

Boxxer is much more confortable, when you ride more then two days it's a good point. Fox40 shakes your arms like a jackhammer. boxxer fly over roots. The third day of riding this comes useful.

Fox40 goes straight where you point it. If you're a racer maybe it's a good point.

Boxxer have better compression and rebound controls. It' easier to setup, every clic matters.

Beside the direct comparison on same tracks I've to say that fox requires a service any 10/12 days of riding, even quicker with muddy conditions. The little amount of oil goes away in that time, then you'll have a fine art design on your stanchions (if you like the item I've some pieces for your collections) . Boxxer can run the twice without any problem. I'm not the kind of "ok,i'll wash the bike at the and of season" rider, but servicing two bikes ( ok, she rides and that's gold, forget she tight any bolt) it's a boring waste of time.

So, I'm selling my fox40 and looking for another boxxer WC. I was thinking about the fox40 float but this would solve only the weight and (maybe) setup issues.

I'm not saying boxxer it's better, I'm saying that for a weekend warrior (or full week holiday warrior) it's a easier way to ride.
I say this although I found a lot of posts saying the opposite about reiliability and tuning.

Posted: Jul 2, 2014 at 2:36 Quote
manitou dorado

Posted: Jul 3, 2014 at 15:02 Quote
I have been on both and like them almost equally. Yet. From a service stand point if you like to tinker at home and have the proper tools, I have to say the Boxxer wins. And not by much. Both manufacturers suggest 100 hours before a service. The seals on the boxxer I think are better because you have a upper dust wiper and a solid oil seal on the bottom. the 40 has a dust wiper on the top and a foam oil ring on the bottom, which could cause you issues if you ride in moon dust conditions, causing you to need to do more services. https://vimeo.com/13854412 This is a cheat.

I liked both of them yet I give it to the boxxer due to the weight. Also when I was still riding DH I was last at 260 lbs. This was my last bike with a Boxxer RC2C wit a converted spring to a AIR spring from a WC. The Air spring was $300.
This was my last DH
2014 Specialized Demo 8l Carbon

They are both great fork's when maintained proper. And also I ALWAYS rebuild my fork when I get a new one and replace fluids to the proper levels and i'm just anal like that.

Good luck and make for 100% sure that your sag set is proper for your body and bike weight. This way the fork will never let you down.

Oh yeah I am a service manager in a bike shop that has been doing this for years now. And having a full understanding of what ever the produce is you are using will go a long way.

Hope this help.

O+
Posted: Sep 29, 2014 at 15:21 Quote
Hi, I am considering upgrading my 2014 Boxxer RC to the 2015 Fox 40 Stealth. Is it worth it, or should I just stick with the Boxxer. I currently have the Boxxer on my Specialized Status II. Opinions needed.

Posted: Sep 29, 2014 at 15:49 Quote
Throw a new damper into the fork.you have a good chassis to build on. Charger damper, avalanche, etc . There are plenty of options for you for the boxxer to be upgradded

O+
Posted: Sep 29, 2014 at 17:09 Quote
How easy is it to upgrade to air on the Boxxer?

Posted: Sep 29, 2014 at 20:56 Quote
You can go air to coil, but generally not coil to air. You'd have to polish inside the stanchion to be sure there are no gouges, etc for the seals. Not easy

Posted: Sep 30, 2014 at 4:52 Quote
As long as you have less then 100 (this works out to a summers worth of riding)or so hours on the fork you will be ok. Keep in mind that if there was a heavy amount of harsh hits you might not want to. The spring rattles around on the inside of the stanchion and wearing from the inside out. This is a worst case scenario and your fork could always loose air.

And yes you can put air into a Boxxer RC 2013. To do the transformation I charge $300 Canadian at my shop and it does not void your warranty either if done by a certified Rochshox technician.
You could even do a Charger upgrade to your fork as well, just as long as it is not too old. I think it will fit 2011 forks and newer.

Posted: Sep 30, 2014 at 10:58 Quote
redtazz wrote:
As long as you have less then 100 (this works out to a summers worth of riding)or so hours on the fork you will be ok. Keep in mind that if there was a heavy amount of harsh hits you might not want to. The spring rattles around on the inside of the stanchion and wearing from the inside out. This is a worst case scenario and your fork could always loose air.

And yes you can put air into a Boxxer RC 2013. To do the transformation I charge $300 Canadian at my shop and it does not void your warranty either if done by a certified Rochshox technician.
You could even do a Charger upgrade to your fork as well, just as long as it is not too old. I think it will fit 2011 forks and newer.

So same for a lyrik I would assume? How reliable do you find it to be as far as air loss?

Posted: Oct 1, 2014 at 4:36 Quote
100% no loss. I have converted many Boxxers so far and everyone has been happier then a pig in s#!t. As for the Lyrik I will look into that for you. What year is it and whats the model of it?

Posted: Oct 1, 2014 at 8:54 Quote
It's a 2010 lyrik rc2dh.

Posted: Oct 2, 2014 at 4:38 Quote
Its too old. If it is a brand new on then yes, yet if it has been ridden for 4 years I would not wast money on the upgrade.

Posted: Sep 2, 2015 at 17:32 Quote
reopening the forum!! i am looking at the 2015 version of both the 40 and the wc. They are about the same price so only looking for thoughts on performance. also weight isn't much of an issue... really looking to see if one fork is substantially better then the other... not too worried about maintenance. which is gonna deflect less and how is the small bump especially both being air??

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.615558
Mobile Version of Website