Stumpjumper FRS Comp Evo or Norco Range Killer B3

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Stumpjumper FRS Comp Evo or Norco Range Killer B3
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Sep 1, 2013 at 11:50 Quote
I'm new to the AM world of bikes but looking at these two. Any thoughts or opinions on either one? I've read every review I can find and both have excellent reviews. Not sure which one would climb better and I live in western PA so do have to climb at times.

Posted: Sep 8, 2013 at 0:24 Quote
i would love to help, but all i've done so far is read all the reviews as well. I'm interested to see how this plays out

Posted: Sep 8, 2013 at 5:53 Quote
I can't comment on the Norco, only the stumpy as that's what I currently own. I have the 2013 model and it climbs very well. The auto-sag feature is pretty nifty and I have yet to have any issues with it. Without the shock in climb mode, the bike has a little pedal bob but nothing crazy that's noticeable while riding, I only noticed it when I actually looked down at the shock. When you get up out of the saddle for a steep or tech section, the bike stays solid beneath without sucking your pedaling power. With climb mode on, it's better as the shock firms up, but at least for my style I actually prefer to do most of my climbing with it turned off.

On the downs it's been a great bike as well once I got the revelation swapped out. Coming from racing DH bikes for a few years, I felt the 32mm stanchions a little flexy for me so I went with a marzocchi 55 instead. For the 2014 models they have fixed that though by throwing a pike on there.

***Shameless Plug****

By the way, mine is for sale in a medium if you are interested at all. Only selling to go carbon Smile

Posted: Sep 13, 2013 at 14:53 Quote
Thanks for the information. I haven't made a purchase yet as the 2014 models are now out. With so many companies (except Specialized) going to 650B wheels its making my head spin. I could care less about wheel size as long as the bike feels good and is fun for me. That being said, I've added the Giant Trance 27.5 to my list and am also considering the Norco Sight along with the Range. Just not sure if I'll need all the travel the Range provides. The Norco Sight and Giant Trance are at 140mm, but the Range is at 160mm. I hope to get on a Trance and Stumpy this weekend. No one in my area has a Norco, so I'm hesitant to order without riding one. Like everyone, I want a bike that I can do everything on, but know there is really no such thing! Plus, I'm over 40 and need to be realistic about the type of riding I will be doing.

Posted: Sep 14, 2013 at 0:48 Quote
I've got a norco sight killer b and absolutely love it. They are pretty slack for a trail bike so that's definitely something to bear in mind. The suspension is pretty active all the time even on the climbs but just seems to feel better the faster I go. And personally I don't think I'm going to ever go back to 26 inch wheels. I don't notice a loss of handling control but I have noticed increased rollover and better conering. I have also ridden a range but only for a demo day and in the parking lot. Seems very similar to the sight but even more capable in the downs if you don't mind the sacrifices climbing.

Posted: Sep 14, 2013 at 17:34 Quote
Do you take your Sight to downhill parks? If so, is the travel enough? I'm only 5'6, 150lbs so I don't think I'll need anymore than 140-150mm.

Posted: Sep 14, 2013 at 18:23 Quote
I've never taken my sight to a park. I want to take it to Trestle before they close up though. I have ridden the Downieville downhill on it as well as the Corral trail in lake tahoe and the corral has hits that are easily the same size as many of the tables on Livewire at Northstar. The only time I ever feel outgunned is on really steep, sustained rock gardens. In fairness I don't really feel comfortable on them on anything other than a big bike.

I would say that if you're going to be riding parks fairly regularly I would probably be leaning more towards the range personally, or at the very least be considering putting a 150 on the front of a sight.

Posted: Sep 23, 2013 at 18:25 Quote
What size is your Sight? At 5'6 I'm torn between a small or medium. I think I'm adding the Hecklerv to my shirt list as well. the biggest problem I'm having is that no local shops carry higher end bikes to demo.

Posted: Sep 23, 2013 at 18:37 Quote
I'm 5'7 and riding a small. I'm also between sizes and Norcos are pretty long bikes so I decided to size down to get a bit more playful bike although I feel like I could ride a medium no problem if I wanted a bit more high speed stability. I'm currently running a 70mm stem with 760mm bars.

Posted: Sep 24, 2013 at 18:12 Quote
Cool. Thanks for the information.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011850
Mobile Version of Website