Can you use 2 different types of spokes on one wheel?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Can you use 2 different types of spokes on one wheel?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Sep 4, 2013 at 9:11 Quote
So I want to build a wheel with black spokes and then white near the valve.

However, I was just wondering if the spokes I use for the white have to be the same? For example, if I used DT Revolition spokes for the whole wheel and then some completely different spokes for the white would it give any adverse effects? Assuming they're still the same diameter and length I see no reason not to, but just thought I'd see what some of you guys say first...

Posted: Sep 4, 2013 at 9:28 Quote
Id say keep em similar for equal tension continuity/strength uniformity if you're really anal about your bike, but its not the end of the world if you don't. When we have a busted spoke come in, I use whatever is like color&size

Posted: Sep 4, 2013 at 9:50 Quote
Ok, I'd try get similar ones anyway, but was just curious if it was big no-no, or if it doesn't matter too much in terms of strength.

Thanks!

Posted: Sep 7, 2013 at 1:38 Quote
Yes and no.

With wheels tension is critical. A properly tension balanced wheel will be MUCH stronger then a wheel which isn't properly tension balanced. Spokes with different guages will tension differently when used in the same wheel resulting in a less strong wheel overall. A butted spoke will have different physical properties compared to a straight gauge spoke. If you where to use two brands of spoke made of similar material in the same gauge or butted profile it shouldn't be a huge issue.

Why not paint the two spokes by the valve stem?

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.004989
Mobile Version of Website