Generally unfit

• Previous Page
Posted: Sep 26, 2013 at 17:12 Quote
hi,

recently i went cycling around a forest and i got over taken by a kid on old bike.Really Mad
and it dawned me i might not be very fit i seem to get tired and sweaty pretty quick or at least compared to a few of my friends they seem to be able to do 20 miles and be okay i can like 5 miles and im hot sweaty and out of breath anyway i try to cycle at least once a week i have a very busy week with work/college/social life/cycling so theres not really any time for gym sessions. jus wondering is there a way to be faster cross country so i don't have to face the embarrassment again im considering buying a cycle computer to test my average speed.im not sure if this is heavy or not but my bike weights 13.8 kilo's it sounds heavy but im not sure.im also 6'1ft tall and 9.9stone or 62 kilo's heavy

thanks for advice

FL
Posted: Sep 26, 2013 at 18:40 Quote
Ride more, it is the solution. The best way to improve is to spend more time doing what it is you're trying to improve, it's called specificity.

Posted: Sep 26, 2013 at 19:20 Quote
cannondalemale wrote:
hi,

recently i went cycling around a forest and i got over taken by a kid on old bike.Really Mad

thanks for advice

New bikes don't make you faster and age is quite irrelevant in biking. I know guys 50+ who really kick ass on a bike and there are plenty of kids racing XC to a high level.
The only person you should compare yourself to is you. You say you don't have time in your schedule but there is always time if you are committed. Smile

Posted: Sep 27, 2013 at 1:52 Quote
nidgeslash9 wrote:
cannondalemale wrote:
hi,

thanks for advice

New bikes don't make you faster and age is quite irrelevant in biking. I know guys 50+ who really kick ass on a bike and there are plenty of kids racing XC to a high level.
The only person you should compare yourself to is you. You say you don't have time in your schedule but there is always time if you are committed. Smile

full time job/full time college

Posted: Sep 28, 2013 at 0:37 Quote
You have got to be in I it to win it . As said above you have to ride more it don't take much but even a 30min blast will help . If you really want to get fitter then go solo . Rides on your own are better I think when your trying to push it .its on your own your pace your time . Also STRAVA is a good workout aid it's helped me lots . Biggest thing and hardest thing to do is be hard and stricked with yourself . Be selfish when you do have time just ride tell your mates no I'm not meeting up for that beer just get on your bike and do it . Night rides are also great . Soooooo do it .

Posted: Oct 2, 2013 at 11:14 Quote
fitness is improving jus got a KOM on strava fastest by 40 seconds/and 1.9km/h quicker then second place quitely proud!!!! tup tup tup

O+
Posted: Oct 17, 2013 at 5:11 Quote
cannondalemale wrote:
nidgeslash9 wrote:
cannondalemale wrote:
hi,

thanks for advice

full time job/full time college

Quit your job. Drop out of school. Ride every day.

O+
Posted: Oct 17, 2013 at 6:58 Quote
Quantity>quality. It's better to go on a few short rides each week than one long one each week. Get a road bike, it helped me tons

Posted: Oct 17, 2013 at 8:57 Quote
My top tips:

Walk/jog/run/cycle everywhere depending on where you're going. Always take the stairs instead of the lift or escalators.

Eat healthy. You could be the fittest guy in the world, but you're going to be slow after a Maccy D's.

Stay hydrated.

Bicep curl your carrier bags after a supermarket shop, for example. Look for little ways to push yourself in everything you do.

Get some rollers and an old roadie and cycle whilst watching the goggle box.

Do mini circuits at home - press ups, sit ups, burpees...

Get a hula hoop. Really. Great for the core. And you wouldn't believe how much girls dig a man who can wiggle his hips. Weird, I know.

Get a balance board and stand on it at every opportunity.

Use your lunch break at work wisely, especially if you have access to a shower. Half hour power cycle, run, circuits etc followed by shower and sandwich, for example.

When you're standing doing nothing, bounce on your toes.

If you haven't vomited yet whilst exercising, you haven't pushed yourself hard enough.

Keep moving!

Finally, PMA - positive mental attitude. Do not underestimate what you are capable of. There will always be someone better than you out there, but I promise you that you haven't achieved anywhere near what you are capable of.

Posted: Oct 25, 2013 at 2:55 Quote
Finally, PMA - positive mental attitude. Do not underestimate what you are capable of. There will always be someone better than you out there, but I promise you that you haven't achieved anywhere near what you are capable of.

Couldn't be a truer statement, spent 3 years in Paris racing pro am road bikes, had a full time coach and trainers and this was one area they were really hot on, and it works.
What other people so are nothing to you, the one person that can defeat you in everything is only YOU!!!
Want it bad enough you'll get where you want
Ever noticed that many good riders that eventually win, usually after many years never winning suddenly start winning more often or higher placed, that's what comes from suddenly believing you can do it, and higher confidence.
As one of the other replies said there's so much you can do to get fitter in everyday normal life.
Believe, don't punish your self with trying to over achieve, set realistic goals that are achievable and improvement only comes in small steps, and not overnight.
Have funny and enjoy the riding

Posted: Nov 16, 2013 at 6:42 Quote
Skipping.

Most underrated exercise it will tire you out very quickly.

As for training quality matters and if you want to get better at a certain riding you need to train that. Not all of us has the ability to use a power meter so get a heart rate monitor And you can use that or threshold to find your training zones.

Training in the wrong zone is just inefficient training. Certain zones have adaptions so take advantage of that.

There is a book called time crunched cyclist which might be worthy to buy for you. Gives you lots of information and has a few program's too. You can create a training program on your own or follow thiers. They assume you have 6hours a week to ride.

How often do you watch tv or sit on pinkbike etc. jump on a indoor training while you watch tv, choose exercise over driving or stairs over the lift.

Little things go a long way.

O+
Posted: Nov 20, 2013 at 12:01 Quote
I'm not going to echo what's already been posted cause it's all true. If you're out of shape, get in shape.

However, I will recommend checking out James Wilson https://www.bikejames.com. He's got some awesome mtb specific workouts you can do from home without much time. He even has full workout programs for people that don't have time to go to the gym. I've followed him for quite a while now and he's really helped me step up my game.

Posted: Nov 20, 2013 at 13:02 Quote
my fitness is getting better and my legs are looking more toned as well unfortunately ive had a run of very bad luck recently ive broken my front tooth and broken part of my back teeth as well im a massive wimp when it comes to dentist's and haven't been in a few years to cut a long story short considering going private and getting sedated maybe but its gonna cost a f*ck load of cash.

Posted: Nov 20, 2013 at 13:22 Quote
cannondalemale wrote:
my fitness is getting better and my legs are looking more toned as well unfortunately ive had a run of very bad luck recently ive broken my front tooth and broken part of my back teeth as well im a massive wimp when it comes to dentist's and haven't been in a few years to cut a long story short considering going private and getting sedated maybe but its gonna cost a f*ck load of cash.
hi I can relate to the teeth . My teeth are in a bad way .its the cold wind that it stoping me rideing as it hurts my teeth . I've got a big fear of the dentist hence the bad teeth . I did consider going privet but just can not afford it . So with the surport of my wife I've been to the dentist and told them my fears and I'm now on a waiting list to be sedated very soon . The bad new I have to have 5/6 teeth out 2 are wistdem teeth . And I need 8 fillings . Not good I know so if your teeth are not as bad as mine then they soon will be if you don't get it sorted . Sorry if that seems harsh but I feel the need to drum the messge across as this is somthing I really wish I'd dealed with a long time ago . Plus I love rideing and no way I'm giveing that up NOT FOR NOTHING . Good luck hope you get them looked at

Posted: Nov 20, 2013 at 13:34 Quote
yeah jus seen the price of the private sedation dentist

its not even very painfull the front has been filled several times over and keeps breaking the last time it was a few years back it was very painful some of the nerves were exposed but I went thou and got it done and it came loose about 6 months later theres a reason the NHS is cheap because its shit anyway its been wiggling about in the front tooth for around 2 year or so slowly getting more loose and uglyier as for the back tooth that broke last week when I was brushing my teeth.

£1.3k or so for the work I reckon 1.3k I don't have thou

broken front tooth needs replaced with implant costing up £3k alternately root canaled filled and crowned costing around £1k includes IV sedation thou

back booth cleaned and filled around £200 or so depending

may have to get a bank loan or a credit card thou which is going to hinder my chances of moving out of parents house

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014766
Mobile Version of Website