For Those Looking For Info on the Evil "Uprising"

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
For Those Looking For Info on the Evil "Uprising"
  • Previous Page
Posted: Sep 29, 2013 at 17:17 Quote
There is a little info on MTBR but figured I'd also post some info here for those looking:

Here is mine and the build:

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/DODpiG/IMG_1526_zpsf1f28e43.jpg
Frame: Evil Uprising Medium
Shock: Fox Float X
Fork: Marzocchi 55 CR
Brakes: Shimano XTR Trail
Shifting: Sram X9
Handlebars: Easton Haven Carbon
Stem: Renthal
Seatpost: Spez. Command Post Blacklite
Saddle: Spez. Henge
Cranks: Shimano XT w/ Wolftooth 32t
Wheels: Industry 9 Red to black Fade with Stan's Arch EX Hoops
Tires: Schwalbe Hans Dampf front and rear

I haven't weighed it yet, but it has to be under 30lbs.
I have the bike setup in the "low" BB position.

I got the bike out today for the first ride and here is what I found:

Pros:

1. Pedals uphill like a champ with the float-x
2. Soaks up the hits just as well on "trail" mode (didn't end up using "descend")
3. Is very easy to jump
4. Makes for a light front end, easy to manual
5. The bike feels balanced for jumping and cranking it into turns.

Cons:

1. With my schwalbe tires, the tire clearance is incredibly close. It's as if the frame was designed to knock rocks out of the tread. I will have to put some 3M on the cross member between the seatstays to protect it from the rocks it knocks out of the tread.

2. At 5'11" I feel I should have gone with the medium-long instead of the medium (Got a deal a on medium frame that was available "right now" so I jumped on it instead of waiting)

3. Only a 2 year warranty. I feel this is a weak point considering competitors such as Spez and Devinici offer lifetime warranties on their full carbon frames.

Overall riding impressions of the bike were that it was very fun and made for quite a good ride. It climbs as well or even slightly better than my Spez. Stumpjumper Evo. This may be due to having the Float-X versus the RP23 of the stumpjumper. The bike is incredibly easy to bunny hop and pop off of jumps. This makes pulling up to make backsides easy as well as prejumping sections to carry speed through. Coming from a full aluminum to now a full carbon bike, the difference is quite noticeable in weight and stiffness. The bike is stiff when needed, but the carbon is compliant in the right ways as well. The build quality looks pretty spot-on and there are some nice features like the integrated downtube guard and the cable tie-down clips (so zip ties aren't needed for your cables).

Hope this helps for anyone looking for a bit more info on this bike as Kevin (the owner) says frames and build kits are arriving and ready for the market!

Posted: Sep 30, 2013 at 20:31 Quote
I'm super jelly. I'd love one of these frames.

Posted: Oct 1, 2013 at 13:34 Quote
Nice review...

How hell did you went on a Medium size with 5'11 ...
I'm 5.9 and I'm not sure if I should stay on M size or go to a M/L Madder

Posted: Oct 2, 2013 at 16:10 Quote
Does it stiffen under braking?
Would you say it is a finesse or plow bike (for the travel)?

I'm looking to replace my Orange Alpine (which stiffens a lot under braking).

cheers,
Dre

Posted: Oct 4, 2013 at 2:46 Quote
They've got one in my lbs, evrytime im in there i cant help staring at it for 5!

Posted: Oct 7, 2013 at 16:39 Quote
I went with a medium as it is supposed to go to 5'10" and it happened to be available. Also in the circumstances I was in, it was a medium, or wait longer and pay $300 more for a medium-long. Honestly I would like a medium long compared to this medium. However, the bike still rides well for sure.

As for braking, I can't tell if the frame is stiffing or not to be honest. The the stuff i've been on so far, the plowing feature seems to work decently. It will get over the rough quite well but is flickable and fun to pick out lines with.

Posted: Oct 29, 2013 at 0:49 Quote
Im 5ft 9", would you recommend a medium or a medium long frame?

O+ FL
Posted: Oct 31, 2013 at 13:13 Quote
Hey dude I was wondering did you take the kashima coated stanchions off of a fox and onto those marzocchis ?

Posted: Oct 31, 2013 at 15:17 Quote
lol. No. That's just Marzocchi's coating. Think they call it "Gold Race Coating."

Posted: Nov 3, 2013 at 19:30 Quote
How do you rate the forks? Got my eye on a set of these to maybe replace my FOX 36 float R's.

Posted: Nov 15, 2013 at 13:08 Quote
looks like the almost perfect trail bike for downhillers. Needs more tire clearance on the rear. I would also like to know how it behaves while braking in steep techy gnar.

Posted: Nov 16, 2013 at 19:23 Quote
I haven't gotten the change to really hit any steep gnar on it yet due to being stuck around my city due to work requirements lately.

The new 55CR is awesome. The entire stroke feels smooth, the small bump sensitivity is there along without fork dive in the corners. Plus it's awesome for the money.

Sorry, haven't checked the thread in a while. About to swap out my renthal 50mm stem for a Enve 75mm to lengthen the cockpit a bit.

Posted: Nov 17, 2013 at 9:11 Quote
Could you tell me how to flip the chips on the Uprising?
Tried on mine earlier but the chips seemed pretty keen on staying exactly where they were even after taking all of the bolts out. So I put everything back together and went for a ride instead.

Posted: Nov 17, 2013 at 12:20 Quote
I ended up with one that came out quite easily and the other was stuck a bit. I ended up tapping it very gently with a rubber mallet and flathead screwdriver which got it out to flip.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015835
Mobile Version of Website