Giant Trance 27.5

PB Forum :: Giant
Giant Trance 27.5
O+
Posted: Aug 16, 2017 at 5:56 Quote
o2beland wrote:
Giant TRX rim cracked
Cracked rim from Trance advanced 2. TRX composite

Yikes, that sucks dude. I'll be honest, that is my biggest fear when riding this bike hard. Frown

Posted: Aug 16, 2017 at 11:33 Quote
Are you guys running tubeless? What kind of pressures? Just curious. New to running the tubeless setup. I'm running 35psi currently. I was worried about pinch flats and/ or smashing the rims on roots and rocks.

Posted: Aug 16, 2017 at 15:31 Quote
Shane-C wrote:
Are you guys running tubeless? What kind of pressures? Just curious. New to running the tubeless setup. I'm running 35psi currently. I was worried about pinch flats and/ or smashing the rims on roots and rocks.
depending on track and tire casing. I run 27 front and rear with grid butcher and slaughter 2.3 with the giant am wheelsert. running the same setup but 2.6 same psi with the glory advanced. spank rims tho.

Posted: Aug 16, 2017 at 16:08 Quote
Shane-C wrote:

I'm running 34r/32f using 2.4 bontranger xr4 on giant trx1 carbon rims. But could probably run lower. Going to drop the pressure next ride.

I'm 225lbs, ride somewhat hard, and hate flats.

Posted: Aug 16, 2017 at 16:17 Quote
makripper wrote:
Shane-C wrote:
depending on track and tire casing. I run 27 front and rear with grid butcher and slaughter 2.3 with the giant am wheelsert. running the same setup but 2.6 same psi with the glory advancedi. spank rims tho.

Ok, I've got the XC-1 aluminum rims with high roller II tires. They're the exo casings and looks like they are 60 psi max. I'm 6'4" and 225 pounds so maybe I won't go too low on the pressures, but I'll play around and see how it feels.

Posted: Aug 16, 2017 at 18:45 Quote
Kenfire24 wrote:
o2beland wrote:
Giant TRX rim cracked
Cracked rim from Trance advanced 2. TRX composite

Man that is a bummer! I was nervous last night that I did the same thing... I mashed mine hard, got a pinch flat and 2 other holes in the tire. I have looked 4 times now and can't find a crack though.

UPDATE: mine is also cracked. Shit.
I believe from casing a jump with low tyre pressure but it's hard to say as I was riding kicking horse bike park all day.

That sucks, I'm planning on changing the rim on mine to a race face aeccet, there aren't a lot of options for 28hole rims the only other one I could get was from Dt Swiss. What's your plan?

I've been riding it for a couple weeks so far I'm alive seems to be holding up so far, I'm waiting for it to taco though.

Posted: Aug 16, 2017 at 18:56 Quote
Shane-C wrote:
makripper wrote:
Shane-C wrote:
depending on track and tire casing. I run 27 front and rear with grid butcher and slaughter 2.3 with the giant am wheelsert. running the same setup but 2.6 same psi with the glory advancedi. spank rims tho.

Ok, I've got the XC-1 aluminum rims with high roller II tires. They're the exo casings and looks like they are 60 psi max. I'm 6'4" and 225 pounds so maybe I won't go too low on the pressures, but I'll play around and see how it feels.
exo have gotten better. xc1 are good rims.i would start at 30 to 32 and work your way down a few psi at a time until where you feel like you are still rolling fast but not giving up grip. hope it helps. lots of different opinions out there. tire pressure is pretty personal.

Posted: Aug 17, 2017 at 7:20 Quote
Shane-C wrote:

25psi on the front, minion dhf 2.6 and 27psi on the rear, minion dhr2 2.4WT. TRX1 composite wheels.

That cracked rim makes me sad. I'd prob build a nextie on to it, available in 28h.

Anyone know what hub giant base theirs on? Is it just a DT350?

Posted: Aug 17, 2017 at 10:04 Quote
o2beland wrote:
Kenfire24 wrote:
o2beland wrote:

Man that is a bummer! I was nervous last night that I did the same thing... I mashed mine hard, got a pinch flat and 2 other holes in the tire. I have looked 4 times now and can't find a crack though.

UPDATE: mine is also cracked. Shit.
I believe from casing a jump with low tyre pressure but it's hard to say as I was riding kicking horse bike park all day.

That sucks, I'm planning on changing the rim on mine to a race face aeccet, there aren't a lot of options for 28hole rims the only other one I could get was from Dt Swiss. What's your plan?

I've been riding it for a couple weeks so far I'm alive seems to be holding up so far, I'm waiting for it to taco though.

Depending on what Giant says about mine, I may build up an industry 9 hub with DT swiss spokes and rim. I'll likely go with aluminum as the carbon rims (nice as they are) have alwys worried me.

O+
Posted: Aug 17, 2017 at 12:31 Quote
In my experience those rims aren't covered unless it proved to be a defect.

Posted: Aug 17, 2017 at 13:13 Quote
mfoga wrote:
In my experience those rims aren't covered unless it proved to be a defect.

Yeah, I'm about 99% sure it wont be covered but it never hurts to check.

O+
Posted: Aug 17, 2017 at 22:01 Quote
That's really nice. They don't sell framesets where I am, so I've got an Advanced 1 arriving next week before I chuck a 36 on the front, SaintxXTR brakeset, KS dropper and my own wheels.

Posted: Aug 18, 2017 at 15:39 Quote
heinous wrote:
That's really nice. They don't sell framesets where I am, so I've got an Advanced 1 arriving next week before I chuck a 36 on the front, SaintxXTR brakeset, KS dropper and my own wheels.
That seems a bit silly... but I guess go for it?

Posted: Aug 19, 2017 at 8:51 Quote
they'll sell you a cheap crash replacement rim but warrantying wheels is very difficult

Posted: Aug 19, 2017 at 10:00 Quote
ICAS wrote:
they'll sell you a cheap crash replacement rim but warrantying wheels is very difficult

Yeah, I'm not worried about it. I ordered a new wheelset from a builder upstate from me. Industry 9 hubs, spank oozy trail rims with sapim double butted spokes. Everything to match the color scheme of the bike for a real reasonable price. Hopefully I'll have them next week. I wasn't crazy about carbon wheels to begin with for this exact reason.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014207
Mobile Version of Website