Giant Trance 27.5

PB Forum :: Giant
Giant Trance 27.5
Posted: Jun 8, 2018 at 13:48 Quote
I've only had it happen a few times, and it's always when I'm in high gear, hitting bumpy stuff. It also seems to shift down for a split second, then back to right gear. Just frustrating losing chain in a good flow.
makripper wrote:
Rdmadson wrote:
Looking to put chainguide on my 2017 Trance 2. Have dropped the chain in a couple of races now. Anyone know which bolt pattern I would need.
Thx
I've never dropped a chain. Narrow wides and clutches do wear out. Also if you have a Shimano derailleur make sure the clutch is on

Posted: Jun 8, 2018 at 14:06 Quote
Rdmadson wrote:
I've only had it happen a few times, and it's always when I'm in high gear, hitting bumpy stuff. It also seems to shift down for a split second, then back to right gear. Just frustrating losing chain in a good flow.
makripper wrote:
Rdmadson wrote:
Looking to put chainguide on my 2017 Trance 2. Have dropped the chain in a couple of races now. Anyone know which bolt pattern I would need.
Thx
I've never dropped a chain. Narrow wides and clutches do wear out. Also if you have a Shimano derailleur make sure the clutch is on
maybe the chains too long or getting worn out as well? So many possibe reasons. I keep my chain slightly short and I've never dropped a chain. Not even on the glory in whistler

Posted: Jun 8, 2018 at 14:26 Quote
Cool, I appreciate the insight. I will definitely check all things you mentioned.
makripper wrote:
Rdmadson wrote:
makripper wrote:
maybe the chains too long or getting worn out as well? So many possibe reasons. I keep my chain slightly short and I've never dropped a chain. Not even on the glory in whistler

O+
Posted: Jun 8, 2018 at 14:51 Quote
Rdmadson wrote:
Thx

I've got the OneUp ISCG05 chainguide on my 2016, should be the same, its got quite a bit of adjustment. Lightweight and simple

Posted: Jun 8, 2018 at 15:56 Quote
Thanks, will look into.
arrowheadrush wrote:
Rdmadson wrote:
Thx

I've got the OneUp ISCG05 chainguide on my 2016, should be the same, its got quite a bit of adjustment. Lightweight and simple

Posted: Jun 8, 2018 at 17:02 Quote
Rdmadson wrote:
Thx

I’ve not had any trouble dropping my chain either. Considering the ghost shifting you mentioned have you looked at you hanger. Possibly bent? If you have the spare that came with the bike switch them out and see if it helps.

Posted: Jun 8, 2018 at 22:12 Quote
GEO147 wrote:
Thanks guys. Love my Trance but struggle most on the ups. Would the lower weight of a 1x help more then have the 2x ring for a struggling climber?
And whats the longest dropper I can get in a large frame as per pic. 100mm Giant is way too short!

The only solution to struggling on the climbs is to keep struggling! Just keep suffering and it gets easier with every single ride. I know it feels like things will never get easier but then all of a sudden you're cleaning stuff you never thought possible.

Also keep in mind that you've got basically a downhill tire on the front of the bike. My trance came with nobby nic tires and switching over to a maxxis DHR/DHF was night and day. Pedalling the heavier tires sucks so much harder, but if you're like me and only pedal up so that you can ride the downs then the suffering is worth it.

Posted: Jun 9, 2018 at 1:26 Quote
Rdmadson wrote:
Thx

Just get a OneUp? Uses the ISG mounts.
https://www.oneupcomponents.com/products/top-guide

Posted: Jun 14, 2018 at 2:10 Quote
NCByron wrote:
arrowheadrush wrote:
GEO147 wrote:

Thanks guys. Love my Trance but struggle most on the ups. Would the lower weight of a 1x help more then have the 2x ring for a struggling climber?
And whats the longest dropper I can get in a large frame as per pic. 100mm Giant is way too short!
photo

If you're already struggling with the 2x setup i would go with at least a 11-46 cassette for a 1x setup.

But to be honest with you, gearing only helps so much, work on your fitness, technique, hit the gym, there's nothing you can buy that can make up for poor fitness.

As far as droppers go, i have a 150mm dropper in my XL trance and it goes in all the way, so it would probably work in your frame. I've got the updated Giant switch dropper.

Thanks for all the feedback lads

Posted: Jun 14, 2018 at 9:00 Quote
I have an XL and I think for us taller riders the saddle has to slide forward a bit so that you don't end up too far back. I had issues keeping the front end down until I changed mine out to a Giant Contact150mm. The new post is straight (not set-back like the 100mm) which right away moves saddle position forward. Switch your dropper out for a min. 150mm and slide your saddle forward a bit. You'll find that it feels more balanced and the front will stay down on climbs. Keep the 70mm stem too, I had tried a 50mm and went back to the 70mm.

O+
Posted: Jun 30, 2018 at 20:42 Quote
Found a very small crack beside bottom linkage on drive side in my 2016 Advanced 1. I was keeping an eye on it but it didn't appear to be getting worse over two race weekends. Replacement frame came which is the all black from the Advanced 2. Much prefer the black frame. Ripped off the fork stickers to match.

photo

Also now running on my flows 2.5 DHF / 2.3 DHF combo for nastier trails. Jury is still out on the 2.5 DHF I think I prefer Magic Mary.

I like the combo on the bike in the photo, nice and fast and the ardent which I thought would get shredded in no time is holding up surprisingly well.

Have my eye on the OneUp 170mm dropper post. The 125 I have currently sits higher slammed than I would like for good pedalling position when extended.

Posted: Jul 2, 2018 at 15:15 Quote
PaulieAU wrote:
Found a very small crack beside bottom linkage on drive side in my 2016 Advanced 1. I was keeping an eye on it but it didn't appear to be getting worse over two race weekends. Replacement frame came which is the all black from the Advanced 2. Much prefer the black frame. Ripped off the fork stickers to match.

photo

Also now running on my flows 2.5 DHF / 2.3 DHF combo for nastier trails. Jury is still out on the 2.5 DHF I think I prefer Magic Mary.

I like the combo on the bike in the photo, nice and fast and the ardent which I thought would get shredded in no time is holding up surprisingly well.

Have my eye on the OneUp 170mm dropper post. The 125 I have currently sits higher slammed than I would like for good pedalling position when extended.

Nice! That’s equal best colourway along with the 2016 Advanced 0. I like my 2016 Advanced 1 but they should have ditched either the orange or the blue - too busy.

If that’s a medium it looks like you’ll be able to fit a 170 OneUp. I run slightly less post so was slightly short. I put a 150 in fine though.

Posted: Jul 2, 2018 at 15:28 Quote
PS - was the crack in the mainframe or the subframe?

Posted: Jul 2, 2018 at 15:30 Quote
Pretty sure it has been up already but, anyone know if there is a limit to what droper a 2014 medium frame can take?
Im about to pull the trigger on a 150mm Fox Transfer Factory but it isnt cheap and i dont like wasting money that could have bought even more beer Smile

O+
Posted: Jul 2, 2018 at 23:18 Quote
irck wrote:
PS - was the crack in the mainframe or the subframe?

Just near the bottom shock and linkage bolt and then heading up the downtube a little way.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012056
Mobile Version of Website