Giant Trance 27.5

PB Forum :: Giant
Giant Trance 27.5
Posted: Jul 3, 2018 at 14:35 Quote
Kvasi wrote:
Pretty sure it has been up already but, anyone know if there is a limit to what droper a 2014 medium frame can take?
Im about to pull the trigger on a 150mm Fox Transfer Factory but it isnt cheap and i dont like wasting money that could have bought even more beer Smile

I have 150 Transfer in my 2014 M

Posted: Jul 4, 2018 at 8:45 Quote
Can anyone confirm if I can get an 11 speed shimano cassette onto the 10 speed shimano freebub that came with my 2015 Trance 2 wheelset?

And I need an I Spec B shifter for the deore brakes?

All so bloody complicated!!

Posted: Jul 4, 2018 at 9:32 Quote
GEO147 wrote:
Can anyone confirm if I can get an 11 speed shimano cassette onto the 10 speed shimano freebub that came with my 2015 Trance 2 wheelset?

And I need an I Spec B shifter for the deore brakes?

All so bloody complicated!!

11 speed cassette will fit just fine. As for the shifter I believe it is I spec B but you should probably make upgrading those brakes a pretty high priority, at least to XT.

I recently threw the TRP Slate G-specs on my Trance after using XT for the last few years and I am really liking them.

Also love that they match the raw hubs on my I-9 wheelset.

Posted: Jul 5, 2018 at 1:31 Quote
So i have the trance 2 2016 and i want to do a similar build, the frame is a medium what shock size should i use, is a 200x51 ok?
SG-Mtn wrote:
I've decided to share my build. Let me know your thoughts! tup

Components:

Frame: 2016 Giant Trance ALUXX 140mm Rear Travel Size Large
Fork: 2016 Rockshox Lyrik RCT3 160mm
Shock: 2017 Fox Float X2 200x50
Handlebar: Raceface Atlas 785mm
Stem: 45mm
Dropper: Giant Contact SL Switch Seatpost 150mm
Saddle: Giant Contact Upright
Pedals: Black MEC Cyphers
Shifters: Shimano Deore
Front Derailleur: None
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore Shadow+
Cassette: Shimano HG50 11-36 Tooth
Front Chainring: NSB 32 Tooth
Chain: Shimano XT HG95
Crankset: Shimano Deore
Brakes: Shimano XT M8000
Brake Rotors: Shimano Ice Tech RT86 203mm (Front), Shimano Ice Tech RT86 180mm
Wheelset: Easton Heist 27
Front Tire (will be in two weeks): Shwalbe Magic Marry 27.5 Trailstar Compound 2.35
Rear Tire (will be in two weeks): Shwalbe Hans Dampf 27.5 Pacestar Compound 2.35

Currently, here in Canada, BC it's quite snowy. I was, however, able to do some clear(ish) road riding (wrap me in spandex later Whip ). During my cycling I stumbled upon some long, spaced out stairs. This has so far been my only test with the new suspension. It felt properly planted and maintained grip so much better than before. This bike started out in life as a Trance 3. I'll be able to say a lot more about the bike when march swings around. That's when riding season kicks in fully for me.

Posted: Jul 5, 2018 at 6:49 Quote
^^^ Still probs the best bike on here...

Posted: Jul 6, 2018 at 18:25 Quote
sinaerfani wrote:
So i have the trance 2 2016 and i want to do a similar build, the frame is a medium what shock size should i use, is a 200x51 ok?
SG-Mtn wrote:
I've decided to share my build. Let me know your thoughts! tup

Components:

Frame: 2016 Giant Trance ALUXX 140mm Rear Travel Size Large
Fork: 2016 Rockshox Lyrik RCT3 160mm
Shock: 2017 Fox Float X2 200x50
Handlebar: Raceface Atlas 785mm
Stem: 45mm
Dropper: Giant Contact SL Switch Seatpost 150mm
Saddle: Giant Contact Upright
Pedals: Black MEC Cyphers
Shifters: Shimano Deore
Front Derailleur: None
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore Shadow+
Cassette: Shimano HG50 11-36 Tooth
Front Chainring: NSB 32 Tooth
Chain: Shimano XT HG95
Crankset: Shimano Deore
Brakes: Shimano XT M8000
Brake Rotors: Shimano Ice Tech RT86 203mm (Front), Shimano Ice Tech RT86 180mm
Wheelset: Easton Heist 27
Front Tire (will be in two weeks): Shwalbe Magic Marry 27.5 Trailstar Compound 2.35
Rear Tire (will be in two weeks): Shwalbe Hans Dampf 27.5 Pacestar Compound 2.35

Currently, here in Canada, BC it's quite snowy. I was, however, able to do some clear(ish) road riding (wrap me in spandex later Whip ). During my cycling I stumbled upon some long, spaced out stairs. This has so far been my only test with the new suspension. It felt properly planted and maintained grip so much better than before. This bike started out in life as a Trance 3. I'll be able to say a lot more about the bike when march swings around. That's when riding season kicks in fully for me.

51mm is what i used. Dony firget to file the down part of the linkage a bit. If you dont it will contact with the shock lightly and scuff it.

Vince

Posted: Jul 8, 2018 at 23:58 Quote
Need advice on getting a Brand x dropper post

Never run a dropper before. Large 2014 Giant trance and I have short legs so I only have 155mm of post showing above the clamp to the bottom of the head at the top.

Riding pedal up, DH down trails so with my short legs I need the seat almost all the way down. I figure 120mm of drop should be enough as long as I can put the dropper post so that the collar is all the way to the bottom, as opposed to sticking up a bit like I see with most people.

Will this work for me?

Posted: Jul 9, 2018 at 11:47 Quote
Large frame - 150mm post. Maybe you'll be satisfied with a 125mm?

Posted: Jul 12, 2018 at 17:55 Quote
Just wanted some advice with my 2018 Giant Trance 4. I had it set at 30% sag in the rear and noticed I was going thru the entire travel of the rear shock (RS deluxe). I set it to about 27% sag and jumped off a few curbs, and I can get it to basically still go thru most of its travel if I really slam it down on the ground.

I'm definitely a bit of a Clyde at 200 pounds (90 k). Just wondering if this is normal behavior or am I right to worry that I'm blowing thru the travel. I've had the bike for about a week by the way.

Posted: Jul 13, 2018 at 5:47 Quote
Needs volume spacers.

Posted: Jul 16, 2018 at 20:33 Quote
Benikos wrote:
Just wanted some advice with my 2018 Giant Trance 4. I had it set at 30% sag in the rear and noticed I was going thru the entire travel of the rear shock (RS deluxe). I set it to about 27% sag and jumped off a few curbs, and I can get it to basically still go thru most of its travel if I really slam it down on the ground.

I'm definitely a bit of a Clyde at 200 pounds (90 k). Just wondering if this is normal behavior or am I right to worry that I'm blowing thru the travel. I've had the bike for about a week by the way.

Yep. Volume spacers. Better yet, CCDB Inline Air or Coil with Climb Switch.

Posted: Jul 16, 2018 at 21:49 Quote
Benikos wrote:

try 20% sag and see it you get full travel and ramp up ok for you. I run about 20-22% sag and even with volume spacers still can't run with more sag.

Posted: Jul 18, 2018 at 5:59 Quote
2019 Trances seem to go bigger : Fox 36 forks and wider rims, seems like a good idea

Posted: Jul 18, 2018 at 7:02 Quote
Whipperman wrote:
2019 Trances seem to go bigger : Fox 36 forks and wider rims, seems like a good idea
lame. I like my 34 and my p-am2's what width and spec? where have you seen the details?

edit:
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/trance-advanced-1-2019

Posted: Jul 18, 2018 at 13:02 Quote

It seems the 2019 trance has come of age. It should address all the grumbles about the previous models.

I’m pretty happy with mine now with all the incremental changes.

Spec

Trance medium frame with carbon downtube protector
RS super duluxe with 2 spacers
RS pike 2018 150mm solo with upgraded 2019 air spring & torque caps 1 spacer
Wheels F stans flow mk3 29mm hope pro 4hub R stans arch mk3 26mm
Tires F magic mary 2.6 soft apex R nobby nic 2.6 speedgrip apex - stans tubeless
Stem & bars raceface turbine r 50 mm & turbine 760mm x 35mm carbon spacers
Grips ODI
brakes Shimano xt with ice tech rotors F 180mm R 160mm titanium bolts
Shifter XT 11spd
Mech Shimano xt 11spd
Shimano 11-40t cassette
Xt chain
SRAM gx Eagle DUB crankset 175mm 32T with one up chain guide
Shimano clipless pedals
Crank brothers high line 125mm dropper with tomson seat clamp
Specialized power expert SWAT saddle
Front enduro guard
Giant tool capsule & giant bottle cage

Copyright © 2000 - 2018. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.039613
Mobile Version of Website