Giant Trance 27.5

PB Forum :: Giant
Giant Trance 27.5
Posted: Feb 7, 2019 at 7:57 Quote
Yes there is no such thing as a 185x57. The new Trances use 185x52.5. 185x55 does work and will be more forgiving on the big hits.

Posted: Feb 7, 2019 at 8:35 Quote
It’s listed as a 185 x 57, it’s a bike shop that are selling it so I’d like to think they are correct but I guess not.
My concern was more to do with the tune rather than whether the shock will fit

Posted: Feb 7, 2019 at 11:29 Quote
What model shock is it?

Posted: Feb 7, 2019 at 12:24 Quote
My bike is an ‘18 Trance 2, so it’s just a boggo Fox Float EVOL

Posted: Feb 8, 2019 at 4:33 Quote
DanVV wrote:
My bike is an ‘18 Trance 2, so it’s just a boggo Fox Float EVOL

No such thing g as a 185x57(.5?). The only place you'll find a 57.5mm trunnion shock is with a 205 eye to eye. Trance uses 185x52.5 not 205x52.5

Posted: Feb 8, 2019 at 7:40 Quote
Ok, so they’ve either listed it with the wrong stroke or eye to eye then.

If it is the correct eye to eye (I might get I touch and double check) and turns out to be the 55mm stroke that I need, can I sort the tune issue using my existing shock?

Posted: Feb 8, 2019 at 8:00 Quote
DanVV wrote:

If it is the correct eye to eye (I might get I touch and double check) and turns out to be the 55mm stroke that I need, can I sort the tune issue using my existing shock?

you sure can but since it is a 185x52.5 currently on your bike it is possible to remove a travel spacer in your shock the increase the stroke to 55mm. to do so you must remove the eyelet assembly to remove the spacer which is located on the shaft inside the air can. There's no point for Fox the make two different shocks where they could do it just by adding spacers. Also by just removing the spacers there's no need to re tune the shock. I believe that there's no need to deflate the IFP or dismantle the damper. Fox has instructions on their website to dismantle all their products. Doing so will mean that you don't have to buy a new shock when your current one has no problems.

Posted: Feb 8, 2019 at 10:00 Quote
Bflutz625 wrote:
DanVV wrote:

you sure can but since it is a 185x52.5 currently on your bike it is possible to remove a travel spacer in your shock the increase the stroke to 55mm. to do so you must remove the eyelet assembly to remove the spacer which is located on the shaft inside the air can. There's no point for Fox the make two different shocks where they could do it just by adding spacers. Also by just removing the spacers there's no need to re tune the shock. I believe that there's no need to deflate the IFP or dismantle the damper. Fox has instructions on their website to dismantle all their products. Doing so will mean that you don't have to buy a new shock when your current one has no problems.

I thought I’d read somewhere, possibly earlier in this thread, that the spacer was part of a mount or something and it wasn’t a DIY replaceable part!? Someone had tried to order one from Fox and they wouldn’t let them.

Edit: I’ve just found it, the sealhead or something?

Posted: Feb 8, 2019 at 11:50 Quote
DanVV wrote:
Bflutz625 wrote:
DanVV wrote:

I thought I’d read somewhere, possibly earlier in this thread, that the spacer was part of a mount or something and it wasn’t a DIY replaceable part!? Someone had tried to order one from Fox and they wouldn’t let them.

Edit: I’ve just found it, the sealhead or something?

https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=861

Your model of shock is the third exploded view. As you can see for factory and performance elite they use travel spacers (1st and 2nd exploded view). In the photo for the performance level shocks (3rd) there is no spacers. I was under the impression that the same spacers were used in the performance level shocks too. It's worth taking a look in you shock for those spacers. All you have to do is move that large washer back and remove the volume spacer after removing the air can. It's worth it to save the hassle of buy a new shock and tuning a shock. They are black anodized aluminum spacers. Yours would be 2.5mm thick.

Posted: Feb 10, 2019 at 6:52 Quote
Ok, so I dropped the pressure from the shock to show full travel. So from looking at this photo are we saying I would basically allow that last bit of shaft to be utilised? Which I’m guessing (I can’t find my rule or callipers) will mean o-ring off the end!? And 2.5mm extra stroke equates to an additional 6.6mm of rear wheel travel... is that even worth it?

photo

Edit: I’ve just removed the shock from my bike and using a rather crappy tape measure it’s showing about 52mm to the o-ring with maybe 57mm of shaft visible in total.
I’ve not taken a shock apart before... do I need some Float Fluid before I think about taking it apart? And once the air can is off will it be quite clear where I need to be looking?

Posted: Feb 10, 2019 at 17:15 Quote
Depending on how many hours are on your bike it may be worth it to just do an air can service of the shock. This includes regressing seals and replacing oil. If not doing a service you will still need the float fluid incase it leaks out. If you're afraid of even removing the air can I suggest not getting into removing g the eyelet assembly. If you dont think it's worth it for 6.6mm of travel then dont do it.

Posted: Feb 10, 2019 at 23:11 Quote
Well I certainly don’t think it’s worth replacing the shock like for like for and additional 6.6mm of travel, but if it’s there for free, we’ll that’s a different story!

I’m not scared of taking it apart, I just haven’t done it before. The bike is a year old and not overly used but I’ll do a service as it’s something I need to learn and I can’t ride it at the moment anyway (broke my collarbone last time I was on it). I’m sure once I have it open it will become fairly clear with the aid of the exploded diagram what I need to be doing.

Posted: Feb 11, 2019 at 4:18 Quote
Fox also has full instructions for complete disassembly and reassembly for all their products. To see if you have the spacer remover the air can and slide all the spacers from. The eyelet assembly and remove the volume spacer. There should be a 2.5mm aluminum spacer.

Posted: Feb 11, 2019 at 5:46 Quote
I couldn’t find the instructions for my shock when I looked on the website.

I’ve got it open and I’m pretty sure I can see a c.2mm black anodised spacer as per the exploded diagram, but I’m not too sure how to get it off!

Posted: Feb 11, 2019 at 18:26 Quote
https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=549 The eyelet assembly (where the knobs are and where it mounts to the rocker) must be removed to remove the spacer.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011363
Mobile Version of Website