Giant Trance 27.5

PB Forum :: Giant
Giant Trance 27.5
Posted: Apr 29, 2019 at 12:14 Quote
Adamrideshisbike wrote:
Bflutz625 wrote:
More of an Anthem guy myself but since NBD is soon I'm torn between the Trance 2 and Anthem 1 SLX.

I have both Smile The Anthem is way more fun around my home trails in Ontario. So poppy. The Trance only gets pulled out for going on trips.

Thanks for the input. Will definitely help me with my choice as a fellow Ontarian. Here in London it's even flatter so the Anthem may be a better choice. It's also a low enough price that I can squeeze in a track bike at the end of the season so I don't put on the pounds like I have in the past few months.

Posted: May 3, 2019 at 23:04 Quote
makripper wrote:
BeaverCreaker wrote:
When do you guys think the Trance 27.5 will see a redesign? 2021?
what do you think they could do better?
The 27.5 is definitely due for a geo update. It’s hard to argue against the fact that a 67* head angle with a 150mm fork is too steep and 73.5* seat angle is too slack. For what it’s worth I’m on a 2016 SX equivalent (160mm Pike and RC3) and didn’t see any huge geo improvements with the current model and I think that in itself shows that a new model is needed.

Posted: May 3, 2019 at 23:06 Quote
The new model was a step back, they actually steepened the effective head angle.

Posted: May 3, 2019 at 23:08 Quote
I hope they just slacken the head angle, steepen the seat angle, and don’t go crazy on the reach. Most importantly though, I hope they go back to being a 140/140 bike. They were on the money with the previous generation Trance (2014 - 2016) they just need to update that formula.

Posted: May 3, 2019 at 23:09 Quote
heinous wrote:
The new model was a step back, they actually steepened the effective head angle.
Agreed.

Posted: May 8, 2019 at 7:01 Quote
irck wrote:
I hope they just slacken the head angle, steepen the seat angle, and don’t go crazy on the reach. Most importantly though, I hope they go back to being a 140/140 bike. They were on the money with the previous generation Trance (2014 - 2016) they just need to update that formula.

couldn't say it better. I'm on hiatus due broken leg for next 8 months or so and been thinking about changing my 2015 trance to something as you said Smile would be nice if giant did that...but they seem to be a bit conservative to make it I'm afraid (trance 29 geo is also nothing special...115mm rear travel?? c'mon at least 130mm )

Posted: May 8, 2019 at 13:02 Quote
Ya I wish Giant made the Trance 29er 130/140 rear/front

Posted: May 8, 2019 at 23:24 Quote
makaron wrote:
couldn't say it better. I'm on hiatus due broken leg for next 8 months or so and been thinking about changing my 2015 trance to something as you said Smile would be nice if giant did that...but they seem to be a bit conservative to make it I'm afraid (trance 29 geo is also nothing special...115mm rear travel?? c'mon at least 130mm )
I actually don’t mind most of the geo and suspension of the 29er. However, I do think they made a couple of silly choices with the 74.5* seat angle (could have made it a bit steeper) and the stack of the medium should have been lower (it’s the same length head tube as the large).

Posted: May 9, 2019 at 7:06 Quote
I own a Trance 2017 2 GE with Shimano 2x drivetrain which I have converted to 1x by using 30t SLX chainring. It runs smoothly, but I do get chain drops when back pedalling in the largest cog.

Do you guys with stock Shimano 1x setup experience the same issue? I think that my setup should be the same as stock 1x now.

I am aware about the Shimano chainline offset, but figured that factory 1x bikes shouldn't have issues like that.

Posted: May 9, 2019 at 7:38 Quote
mitjak wrote:
I own a Trance 2017 2 GE with Shimano 2x drivetrain which I have converted to 1x by using 30t SLX chainring. It runs smoothly, but I do get chain drops when back pedalling in the largest cog.

Do you guys with stock Shimano 1x setup experience the same issue? I think that my setup should be the same as stock 1x now.

I am aware about the Shimano chainline offset, but figured that factory 1x bikes shouldn't have issues like that.

Is that a narrow/wide chainring? I've done that to both my xt and xtr cranks with rf narrow/wide rings with no problem.

Posted: May 9, 2019 at 7:50 Quote
lifted-d wrote:
mitjak wrote:

Is that a narrow/wide chainring? I've done that to both my xt and xtr cranks with rf narrow/wide rings with no problem.
I have the factory SLX cranks and 32t ring on the front with an e13 cassette. If I backpedal more than a revolution in the first 2-3 gears, the chain will drop. But as far as backpedaling enough to level pedals and move on, never an issue.

Posted: May 9, 2019 at 8:51 Quote
chrisbalich wrote:
lifted-d wrote:
mitjak wrote:

I have the factory SLX cranks and 32t ring on the front with an e13 cassette. If I backpedal more than a revolution in the first 2-3 gears, the chain will drop. But as far as backpedaling enough to level pedals and move on, never an issue.

Yes, it's a NW Shimano chainring. The chain just dropped on my last ride when I tried to level the pedals a bit faster.

Posted: May 9, 2019 at 9:06 Quote
lifted-d wrote:
mitjak wrote:

I did the same thing w the wife's trance 2 and had no issues. Used a wide range sunrace cassette and stock shifter and derrailer.

Posted: May 9, 2019 at 14:31 Quote
It’s a combination of chain stay and chainline - a few bikes are prone to it.

Posted: May 9, 2019 at 19:34 Quote
mitjak wrote:
chrisbalich wrote:
lifted-d wrote:

Yes, it's a NW Shimano chainring. The chain just dropped on my last ride when I tried to level the pedals a bit faster.
just to clarify, is the chain dropping off the chainring, or cassette cog?

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017778
Mobile Version of Website