Giant Trance 27.5

PB Forum :: Giant
Giant Trance 27.5
Author Message
Posted: May 9, 2019 at 23:41 Quote
brianl wrote:
mitjak wrote:
chrisbalich wrote:

I have the factory SLX cranks and 32t ring on the front with an e13 cassette. If I backpedal more than a revolution in the first 2-3 gears, the chain will drop. But as far as backpedaling enough to level pedals and move on, never an issue.

Yes, it's a NW Shimano chainring. The chain just dropped on my last ride when I tried to level the pedals a bit faster.
just to clarify, is the chain dropping off the chainring, or cassette cog?

The chain drops from the cassette cog. It drops from the first (largest) one to the third or forth cog.

Posted: May 10, 2019 at 0:35 Quote
mitjak wrote:
brianl wrote:
mitjak wrote:


Yes, it's a NW Shimano chainring. The chain just dropped on my last ride when I tried to level the pedals a bit faster.
just to clarify, is the chain dropping off the chainring, or cassette cog?

The chain drops from the cassette cog. It drops from the first (largest) one to the third or forth cog.


Oh, that's pretty common if you backpedal in the carpark, but I've never had it happen when riding on the trail. I imagine it can be aggravated by gear fettling (limit screws, cable stretch, mech alignment, dérailleur pulley wear), as well as chainline.

Posted: May 10, 2019 at 6:12 Quote
TheGnarlyCenturion wrote:
mitjak wrote:
brianl wrote:

just to clarify, is the chain dropping off the chainring, or cassette cog?

The chain drops from the cassette cog. It drops from the first (largest) one to the third or forth cog.


Oh, that's pretty common if you backpedal in the carpark, but I've never had it happen when riding on the trail. I imagine it can be aggravated by gear fettling (limit screws, cable stretch, mech alignment, dérailleur pulley wear), as well as chainline.
^^This

Posted: May 10, 2019 at 12:52 Quote
mitjak wrote:
brianl wrote:
mitjak wrote:


Yes, it's a NW Shimano chainring. The chain just dropped on my last ride when I tried to level the pedals a bit faster.
just to clarify, is the chain dropping off the chainring, or cassette cog?

The chain drops from the cassette cog. It drops from the first (largest) one to the third or forth cog.
I has this happen when my original cassette (X1) 42t cog was getting worn (not replaceable like the X01 and XX1), and backpedaling it dropped the chain from the same tooth every time. Yes this happened on the trail, for example on a steep climb, I'm in my lowest gear, and if I had to stop/restart, backpedal half a turn to clip in, it could drop. I got a new e13 TRS cassette and then it backpedaled with no drop. So, assuming chainline is good and mech is properly set up, a worn cassette cog could be the culprit.

Posted: May 10, 2019 at 13:15 Quote
wrote:
wrote:
The chain drops from the cassette cog. It drops from the first (largest) one to the third or forth cog.
I has this happen when my original cassette (X1) 42t cog was getting worn (not replaceable like the X01 and XX1), and backpedaling it dropped the chain from the same tooth every time. Yes this happened on the trail, for example on a steep climb, I'm in my lowest gear, and if I had to stop/restart, backpedal half a turn to clip in, it could drop. I got a new e13 TRS cassette and then it backpedaled with no drop. So, assuming chainline is good and mech is properly set up, a worn cassette cog could be the culprit.

I agree have this happened on my last 2 cassette's you need to replace it. I'm running SLX unfortunately you can't just get the larger cogs replaced need to do the whole thing.

Posted: May 11, 2019 at 17:42 Quote
mitjak wrote:
brianl wrote:
mitjak wrote:


Yes, it's a NW Shimano chainring. The chain just dropped on my last ride when I tried to level the pedals a bit faster.
just to clarify, is the chain dropping off the chainring, or cassette cog?

The chain drops from the cassette cog. It drops from the first (largest) one to the third or forth cog.

Just tested this on my 2019 Trance 2 with SLX. It does the same thing. Only happens after a few rotations so backpedaling to get my pedals level is no big deal

Posted: May 11, 2019 at 19:56 Quote
matt-15 wrote:
mitjak wrote:
brianl wrote:

just to clarify, is the chain dropping off the chainring, or cassette cog?

The chain drops from the cassette cog. It drops from the first (largest) one to the third or forth cog.

Just tested this on my 2019 Trance 2 with SLX. It does the same thing. Only happens after a few rotations so backpedaling to get my pedals level is no big deal
11speed?

Posted: May 12, 2019 at 11:09 Quote
makripper wrote:
matt-15 wrote:
mitjak wrote:


The chain drops from the cassette cog. It drops from the first (largest) one to the third or forth cog.

Just tested this on my 2019 Trance 2 with SLX. It does the same thing. Only happens after a few rotations so backpedaling to get my pedals level is no big deal
11speed?

Yes

Posted: May 12, 2019 at 12:00 Quote
matt-15 wrote:
makripper wrote:
matt-15 wrote:


Just tested this on my 2019 Trance 2 with SLX. It does the same thing. Only happens after a few rotations so backpedaling to get my pedals level is no big deal
11speed?

Yes
ahh yeah 10speed doesn't have back pedal issues

Posted: May 12, 2019 at 12:28 Quote
matt-15 wrote:
makripper wrote:
matt-15 wrote:


Just tested this on my 2019 Trance 2 with SLX. It does the same thing. Only happens after a few rotations so backpedaling to get my pedals level is no big deal
11speed?

Yes

I'm thinking of using longer bolts and 1-2mm washers to move chainline inwards a bit. Similar to what OneUp Components are doing with their chainrings: https://int.oneupcomponents.com/products/xt-m8000-chainrings

Posted: May 12, 2019 at 17:07 Quote
mitjak wrote:
matt-15 wrote:
makripper wrote:
11speed?

Yes

I'm thinking of using longer bolts and 1-2mm washers to move chainline inwards a bit. Similar to what OneUp Components are doing with their chainrings: https://int.oneupcomponents.com/products/xt-m8000-chainrings
it's hard to say. Chainline almost doesn't matter for wide range. Either way you'll have issues. Maybe upgrade the chain to at least an XT or 1090 level?

Posted: May 12, 2019 at 17:51 Quote
No difference in chain level, don’t waste your time. If you have chainstay clearance you can run a non boost ring but you’ll just shift issue to other end of cassette.

Posted: May 12, 2019 at 19:04 Quote
heinous wrote:
No difference in chain level, don’t waste your time. If you have chainstay clearance you can run a non boost ring but you’ll just shift issue to other end of cassette.
I was thinking the same thing


 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012711
Mobile Version of Website