Giant Trance 27.5

PB Forum :: Giant
Giant Trance 27.5
Author Message
Posted: Jun 28, 2019 at 18:29 Quote
I didn't think it would be posted on the geo chart! Thank you kindly. It's gone from 4.7" on my bike to 5.1" so I'm glad I thought of it! Will leave a few extra spacers above the stem

Posted: Jul 8, 2019 at 16:14 Quote
Has anyone gone in on a megneg?

I ordered one for my 2019 trance 2 that I’ve fitted with a rockshox super deluxe from the trance advanced 0. It should arrive later this week.

I aim to have a more poppy spring curve in the mid stroke, with great top end sensitivity, and sure footed bottom out resistance.

This particular shock requires a remote for the lockout. And If I do a rebuild, I’ll have dirt labs tune the shim stack to make it more of a “climb” setting than a lockout. And then I’ll then consider adjusting the stroke to 55mm over 52.5. I’ve read tidbits here and there on how 55mm in the rear works out for people but nothing conclusive enough to know wether it would be a good or a bad thing. I’ve noted that there are bikes being specc’d with 185x55 trunnion mounts, has anyone gone in on the research to see if the base compression tune on those is comparable to the trance?

I’m also about to fit a 160mm performance series Fox 36 with a grip (1) damper as soon as tomorrow. Excited (and somewhat nervous) to see how that changes things up by itself. And then will be tossing a megneg on there and really messing with it’s intended design.

Also putting on some of one up’s new oval carbon bars designed to have more compliance built in. Stay tuned.

Posted: Jul 8, 2019 at 21:46 Quote
I always ran a 36 on the Trance. Made it way more burly. The 160mm 36 is same A-C as the 150mm 34 I think, so you unfortunately won't slacken head angle and will end up steeper at bottom out.

Posted: Jul 9, 2019 at 0:32 Quote
ZaneTaylor wrote:
Has anyone gone in on a megneg?

I ordered one for my 2019 trance 2 that I’ve fitted with a rockshox super deluxe from the trance advanced 0. It should arrive later this week.

I aim to have a more poppy spring curve in the mid stroke, with great top end sensitivity, and sure footed bottom out resistance.

This particular shock requires a remote for the lockout. And If I do a rebuild, I’ll have dirt labs tune the shim stack to make it more of a “climb” setting than a lockout. And then I’ll then consider adjusting the stroke to 55mm over 52.5. I’ve read tidbits here and there on how 55mm in the rear works out for people but nothing conclusive enough to know wether it would be a good or a bad thing. I’ve noted that there are bikes being specc’d with 185x55 trunnion mounts, has anyone gone in on the research to see if the base compression tune on those is comparable to the trance?

I’m also about to fit a 160mm performance series Fox 36 with a grip (1) damper as soon as tomorrow. Excited (and somewhat nervous) to see how that changes things up by itself. And then will be tossing a megneg on there and really messing with it’s intended design.

Also putting on some of one up’s new oval carbon bars designed to have more compliance built in. Stay tuned.

Nice Im ordering the charger 2.1 upgrade for my 2018 pike 150, was thinking about the megneg on my RC SuperD. Not sure it needed with the trance suspension curve. Be super interested to see how it performs pre/post install?

was also thinking of the new OU bars/stem as well. Running a O35 raceface carbon, it’s a little stiff.

Posted: Jul 9, 2019 at 11:56 Quote
PaulieAU wrote:

I recently changed to a one-up 170mm dropper in my medium 2016. Best test is see just how low the existing one will go below current position and then go from there.

Does it fully insert into the frame? I really want to move to a 150 on my 2016 medium, currently on a 125mm transfer.

Posted: Jul 9, 2019 at 12:28 Quote
I have a 36 Grip on my trance and it's perfect. You'll love it. So composed. I'm happy enough with the super deluxe that I wouldn't pay for the new can, but I'm interested to hear how you like it.

Posted: Jul 11, 2019 at 6:51 Quote
Has anyone tried to shorten the Stroke of a 57mm shock to 55mm for the 14" - 16" trance?

For a clyde like myself 57mm is too risky IMO (when factoring frame flex)

is this an easy mod to do ? thoughts/comments?

Posted: Jul 11, 2019 at 7:05 Quote
maclgallant wrote:
Has anyone tried to shorten the Stroke of a 57mm shock to 55mm for the 14" - 16" trance?

For a clyde like myself 57mm is too risky IMO (when factoring frame flex)

is this an easy mod to do ? thoughts/comments?

You might have the wrong end of the stick - or I do, and I'm about to make a fool out of myself!

First issue: the length of the shock is different to it's stroke, by shortening the stroke you're just removing some top end of the suspension (i.e. making it 130mm instead of 140mm). However, the length of the shock stays the same, so if you were thinking of 'shorter stroke = less flex' then you wouldn't be achieving that.

Secondly: the giant trance has a 'solid' rear triangle, connected by two links to the front triangle, and then onto the shock- this eliminates side loading of the shock so mucking around with the shock wont effect stiffness.

If you're genuinely having problems (rather than theoretical concerns) then I would a. check the frame for cracks/wear (including heel rub and bearings) and b. layer on some epoxy based composite (carbon fibre, fibre glass, hemp, whatever) in the areas experiencing rub (checking for clearance) and that will massively increase the stiffness - very easy to do, no risk Smile

Posted: Jul 11, 2019 at 9:34 Quote
maclgallant wrote:
Has anyone tried to shorten the Stroke of a 57mm shock to 55mm for the 14" - 16" trance?

For a clyde like myself 57mm is too risky IMO (when factoring frame flex)

is this an easy mod to do ? thoughts/comments?
Just checking, what is "too risky"? Are you concerned it will bind or contact at bottom-out?

To shorten the stroke without changing i2i, you can add a spacer under the bottom-out bumper (under the top eye of the shock - inside the air can but not inside the damper).

I have a 200x56mm McLeod on mine and there is no binding or contact at bottom-out. I added a small spacer to reduce the stroke a bit because I'm running a small under-seat bag (spare tube etc) and it was *just* making contact with the back tire at bottom out, with the saddle fully dropped.

Posted: Jul 11, 2019 at 10:46 Quote
brianl wrote:
maclgallant wrote:
Has anyone tried to shorten the Stroke of a 57mm shock to 55mm for the 14" - 16" trance?

For a clyde like myself 57mm is too risky IMO (when factoring frame flex)

is this an easy mod to do ? thoughts/comments?
Just checking, what is "too risky"? Are you concerned it will bind or contact at bottom-out?

To shorten the stroke without changing i2i, you can add a spacer under the bottom-out bumper (under the top eye of the shock - inside the air can but not inside the damper).

I have a 200x56mm McLeod on mine and there is no binding or contact at bottom-out. I added a small spacer to reduce the stroke a bit because I'm running a small under-seat bag (spare tube etc) and it was *just* making contact with the back tire at bottom out, with the saddle fully dropped.

Risky for a clyde Razz i'm 260 lbs with gear and 'EVERYTHING" flex's lol.

there has been reports (very few but some) of 57mm stroke shocks hitting the frame under extreme loads.

it's more of a precaution really and a 55mm stroke would yield 150mm anyways Smile

Posted: Jul 11, 2019 at 13:03 Quote
maclgallant wrote:
brianl wrote:
maclgallant wrote:
Has anyone tried to shorten the Stroke of a 57mm shock to 55mm for the 14" - 16" trance?

For a clyde like myself 57mm is too risky IMO (when factoring frame flex)

is this an easy mod to do ? thoughts/comments?
Just checking, what is "too risky"? Are you concerned it will bind or contact at bottom-out?

To shorten the stroke without changing i2i, you can add a spacer under the bottom-out bumper (under the top eye of the shock - inside the air can but not inside the damper).

I have a 200x56mm McLeod on mine and there is no binding or contact at bottom-out. I added a small spacer to reduce the stroke a bit because I'm running a small under-seat bag (spare tube etc) and it was *just* making contact with the back tire at bottom out, with the saddle fully dropped.

Risky for a clyde Razz i'm 260 lbs with gear and 'EVERYTHING" flex's lol.

there has been reports (very few but some) of 57mm stroke shocks hitting the frame under extreme loads.

it's more of a precaution really and a 55mm stroke would yield 150mm anyways Smile
I just tested mine - with no air in the shock, bounced on the pedals, o-ring shows 55-56mm travel and there was no contact.
The rear triangle brace gets a few mms from the seat tube, and the shock air can gets close to the lower eye mount (my McLeod has a King Can and still has several mms of clearance). I'm only 142lbs, and maybe if you bottomed it hard enough to fully compress the bump stop you might move it 1-2mms more than me, so you could experiment with bumpstop spacers (a plastic washer with a split so you could slip it over the shock shaft behind the bumpstop).

Posted: Jul 11, 2019 at 13:24 Quote
suggest getting a Cane Creek DB Coil Inline

You can get a 200x50 with a 600 lb. Valt spring

Should be more reliable and offer excellent performance. I'm considering doing the same.

Posted: Jul 11, 2019 at 20:29 Quote
sostokedaboutthat wrote:
ZaneTaylor wrote:
Has anyone gone in on a megneg?

I ordered one for my 2019 trance 2 that I’ve fitted with a rockshox super deluxe from the trance advanced 0. It should arrive later this week.

I aim to have a more poppy spring curve in the mid stroke, with great top end sensitivity, and sure footed bottom out resistance.

This particular shock requires a remote for the lockout. And If I do a rebuild, I’ll have dirt labs tune the shim stack to make it more of a “climb” setting than a lockout. And then I’ll then consider adjusting the stroke to 55mm over 52.5. I’ve read tidbits here and there on how 55mm in the rear works out for people but nothing conclusive enough to know wether it would be a good or a bad thing. I’ve noted that there are bikes being specc’d with 185x55 trunnion mounts, has anyone gone in on the research to see if the base compression tune on those is comparable to the trance?

I’m also about to fit a 160mm performance series Fox 36 with a grip (1) damper as soon as tomorrow. Excited (and somewhat nervous) to see how that changes things up by itself. And then will be tossing a megneg on there and really messing with it’s intended design.

Also putting on some of one up’s new oval carbon bars designed to have more compliance built in. Stay tuned.

Nice Im ordering the charger 2.1 upgrade for my 2018 pike 150, was thinking about the megneg on my RC SuperD. Not sure it needed with the trance suspension curve. Be super interested to see how it performs pre/post install?

was also thinking of the new OU bars/stem as well. Running a O35 raceface carbon, it’s a little stiff.

A little more money but worth checking out the We Are One composites Da Bar combo.

Posted: Jul 12, 2019 at 7:16 Quote
B650wagon wrote:
suggest getting a Cane Creek DB Coil Inline

You can get a 200x50 with a 600 lb. Valt spring

Should be more reliable and offer excellent performance. I'm considering doing the same.

I was thinking about going with a FOX DPX2 200*51 (debating 200x57 because of my size/weight)


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012505
Mobile Version of Website