Giant Trance 27.5

PB Forum :: Giant
Giant Trance 27.5
Posted: Jul 12, 2019 at 7:32 Quote
maclgallant wrote:
B650wagon wrote:
suggest getting a Cane Creek DB Coil Inline

You can get a 200x50 with a 600 lb. Valt spring

Should be more reliable and offer excellent performance. I'm considering doing the same.

I was thinking about going with a FOX DPX2 200*51 (debating 200x57 because of my size/weight)

In my research the Trance doesn't like a coil. As I was tempted by the allure of them (also being a bit heavier (205) and some of the newer offerings that didn't break the bank.

Posted: Jul 12, 2019 at 10:29 Quote
NRZ wrote:
maclgallant wrote:
B650wagon wrote:

Should be more reliable and offer excellent performance. I'm considering doing the same.

I was thinking about going with a FOX DPX2 200*51 (debating 200x57 because of my size/weight)

In my research the Trance doesn't like a coil. As I was tempted by the allure of them (also being a bit heavier (205) and some of the newer offerings that didn't break the bank.

i think could would be ok for riders under 160 lbs but anyone over 200lbs especially 250 lbs is a big no no. Coil is way to linear for the 14-16 Trance. I think it could work on the 17-19 Trance though

Posted: Jul 12, 2019 at 17:51 Quote
maclgallant wrote:
NRZ wrote:
maclgallant wrote:

i think could would be ok for riders under 160 lbs but anyone over 200lbs especially 250 lbs is a big no no. Coil is way to linear for the 14-16 Trance. I think it could work on the 17-19 Trance though

Ya, custom tuned air is probably the way to go.

Posted: Jul 12, 2019 at 18:40 Quote
B650wagon wrote:
maclgallant wrote:
NRZ wrote:

Ya, custom tuned air is probably the way to go.

Yup thats why I'll be ordering my DPX2 directly from S4Suspension here in Canada Big Grin it will have a custom tune right from the beginning!

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 4:16 Quote
mixmastamikal wrote:
PaulieAU wrote:

I recently changed to a one-up 170mm dropper in my medium 2016. Best test is see just how low the existing one will go below current position and then go from there.

Does it fully insert into the frame? I really want to move to a 150 on my 2016 medium, currently on a 125mm transfer.

TBH I don't know. Originally my bike didn't seem to want the original giant post to go down far but after looking down the frame with a torch I figured it was just some pesky carbon in my way so rammed the seatpost in. After that no problems. I do have a 32" inseam so maybe longish legged for a medium.

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 4:20 Quote
maclgallant wrote:
Has anyone tried to shorten the Stroke of a 57mm shock to 55mm for the 14" - 16" trance?

For a clyde like myself 57mm is too risky IMO (when factoring frame flex)

is this an easy mod to do ? thoughts/comments?

I don't think flex will be that big an issue. I have run 57mm with both air and coil and not had a problem with frame contact on big hits. Pretty big drops too.

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 4:28 Quote
NRZ wrote:
maclgallant wrote:
B650wagon wrote:

OK this is looking bad I should use multi post.......

Trance loves a coil!!!!!! Runs super nice and I was shocked how easy mine was to set up. I ended up on the faster end of the Fox recommended settings for 500lb on compression and rebound. Tried a little more open on LSC this weekend gone but after one run went one click slower. Think I am now on (from closed). 10 HSC, 9 LSC, 11 LSR 11 HSR. Supple as anything with great mid stroke support.

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 6:46 Quote
PaulieAU wrote:
NRZ wrote:
maclgallant wrote:

OK this is looking bad I should use multi post.......

Trance loves a coil!!!!!! Runs super nice and I was shocked how easy mine was to set up. I ended up on the faster end of the Fox recommended settings for 500lb on compression and rebound. Tried a little more open on LSC this weekend gone but after one run went one click slower. Think I am now on (from closed). 10 HSC, 9 LSC, 11 LSR 11 HSR. Supple as anything with great mid stroke support.

500 lbs spring ? you're a lightweight Razz

i would need a 700/750 lbs

Posted: Jul 17, 2019 at 3:43 Quote
maclgallant wrote:

500 lbs spring ? you're a lightweight Razz

i would need a 700/750 lbs

In all honesty I could run a 450 but it looks like my next bike might like 500 better so I am holding off on spending the $ on a SLS coil.

Posted: Jul 17, 2019 at 9:24 Quote
What next bike? I'm a bit discouraged from buying a new shock on my 2014 trance at the likelihood of it not fitting basically anything else in the "metric" shock age.

Posted: Jul 17, 2019 at 10:08 Quote
ZaneTaylor wrote:
. And then I’ll then consider adjusting the stroke to 55mm over 52.5. I’ve read tidbits here and there on how 55mm in the rear works out for people but nothing conclusive enough to know wether it would be a good or a bad thing. I’ve noted that there are bikes being specc’d with 185x55 trunnion mounts, has anyone gone in on the research to see if the base compression tune on those is comparable to the trance? .
Have a 2018 trance 3 that got a 55mm Super Deluxe direct from giant to replace the leaky deluxe it was spec'd with. Has worked fine for me. Started at over 300lbs down to 260lbs and 1 rebuild with no issues

Posted: Jul 19, 2019 at 4:32 Quote
friendlyfoe wrote:
What next bike? I'm a bit discouraged from buying a new shock on my 2014 trance at the likelihood of it not fitting basically anything else in the "metric" shock age.

Next bike will be Craftworks ENR. My other option high on the list was Evil Insurgent LB. Both run 200x57 shocks.

Posted: Jul 25, 2019 at 4:43 Quote
Any update dude?
ZaneTaylor wrote:
Has anyone gone in on a megneg?

I ordered one for my 2019 trance 2 that I’ve fitted with a rockshox super deluxe from the trance advanced 0. It should arrive later this week.

I aim to have a more poppy spring curve in the mid stroke, with great top end sensitivity, and sure footed bottom out resistance.

This particular shock requires a remote for the lockout. And If I do a rebuild, I’ll have dirt labs tune the shim stack to make it more of a “climb” setting than a lockout. And then I’ll then consider adjusting the stroke to 55mm over 52.5. I’ve read tidbits here and there on how 55mm in the rear works out for people but nothing conclusive enough to know wether it would be a good or a bad thing. I’ve noted that there are bikes being specc’d with 185x55 trunnion mounts, has anyone gone in on the research to see if the base compression tune on those is comparable to the trance?

I’m also about to fit a 160mm performance series Fox 36 with a grip (1) damper as soon as tomorrow. Excited (and somewhat nervous) to see how that changes things up by itself. And then will be tossing a megneg on there and really messing with it’s intended design.

Also putting on some of one up’s new oval carbon bars designed to have more compliance built in. Stay tuned.

Posted: Jul 28, 2019 at 4:41 Quote
This is my Trance 27.5 out for a fun ride in the hills this morning.
Love this bike! Does everything well, including bombing steep trails.

Posted: Aug 2, 2019 at 19:35 Quote
2014 Trance 1 owner here. I’ve had it since 2015 and added multiple upgrades - Fox Factory DPS evol shock, Manitou Mattoc Pro fork, SRAM GX 1x11, MK3 wheelset, 150mm dropper, shorter stem/wide bars...and the list goes on.

Anyway, I’m starting to think I’ve “outgrown” the bike and would enjoy a little slacker head tube angle as well as a steeper seat tube angle (more modern trail geometry). Any thoughts on how to make the bike feel any different? Should I bite the bullet and but a new frame and build it up with all the current upgrades I’ve tossed on the Trance? Ideas...?

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013121
Mobile Version of Website