Giant Trance 27.5

PB Forum :: Giant
Giant Trance 27.5
Posted: Aug 2, 2019 at 19:41 Quote
If that’s the pre trunnion shock then try some offset bushings. Cheap, easy to install upgrade.

Posted: Aug 4, 2019 at 16:58 Quote
mmarkey21 wrote:
2014 Trance 1 owner here. I’ve had it since 2015 and added multiple upgrades - Fox Factory DPS evol shock, Manitou Mattoc Pro fork, SRAM GX 1x11, MK3 wheelset, 150mm dropper, shorter stem/wide bars...and the list goes on.

Anyway, I’m starting to think I’ve “outgrown” the bike and would enjoy a little slacker head tube angle as well as a steeper seat tube angle (more modern trail geometry). Any thoughts on how to make the bike feel any different? Should I bite the bullet and but a new frame and build it up with all the current upgrades I’ve tossed on the Trance? Ideas...?

I put my 2015 trance parts on an all mtn hardtail frame (2018 NS eccentric evo in my case since it’s one of the few frames till produced with a 142 rear end). Given that 142 rear and 100 front spacing is probably never coming back, a 142 spaced hardtail is a good way to keep those parts from becoming obsolete. The hardtail will make a nice xc/trail bike that can also hit dirt jumps or the pump track and then I plan to get a reign for gnarlier trails and bike park riding.

Posted: Aug 9, 2019 at 12:38 Quote
Dumb question alert.

I recently bought the Trance 1.5 (in Germany). It's the first 27.5" bike I've bought. I was between sizes so I went for the L over the M. Anyways, I can't believe how big the bike is. The bottom bracket is similar or higher and wheelbase longer than my 2010 Trek session. I don't have the seatpost set at its lowest and I can reach the bars and stuff, I'm just surprised (and disappointed) how big it is.

Did bikes plain get bigger in the last 10 years? Is that just how they are nowadays or is the Trance a particularly extreme geometry or should I have bought the medium?

(I got the bike off the web as there are no serious mountain bike shops near me selling brands I like.)

Posted: Aug 9, 2019 at 12:44 Quote
Hi Austrian,

The Trance 27.5 in its current iteration is actually conservative in it's geometry, and when pink bike reviewed it, they complained about its low bottom bracket!

Top tubes have got longer since your 2010 session, but is set up also the same? The Trance comes with 780 bars, that can pull you forward a bit. I personally run my trance with the stem at the top of the available for steerer, this also shortens the reach.

Posted: Aug 9, 2019 at 13:06 Quote
Who has mulleted out their Trance? I want pictures and ride impressions.

Posted: Aug 9, 2019 at 13:46 Quote
TheGnarlyCenturion wrote:
Hi Austrian,

The Trance 27.5 in its current iteration is actually conservative in it's geometry, and when pink bike reviewed it, they complained about its low bottom bracket!

Top tubes have got longer since your 2010 session, but is set up also the same? The Trance comes with 780 bars, that can pull you forward a bit. I personally run my trance with the stem at the top of the available for steerer, this also shortens the reach.

Okay thanks. It's odd you say that, I was thinking about lowering my bars to try and get that bit closer to the ground!

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 at 8:43 Quote
Hi,

I would like to change the crank on my 2018 Trance 2 and go carbon to shed some weight.

can you point me in the right direction of how to go about this since the BB is only meant for shimano cranks?

interested in RaceFace Next SL or R..... or any other similar options

would also like to cut weight from bar and stem...anyone know what the giant factory spec parts weigh in at?

thanks

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 at 9:23 Quote
gsr4u2nv wrote:
Hi,

I would like to change the crank on my 2018 Trance 2 and go carbon to shed some weight.

can you point me in the right direction of how to go about this since the BB is only meant for shimano cranks?

interested in RaceFace Next SL or R..... or any other similar options

would also like to cut weight from bar and stem...anyone know what the giant factory spec parts weigh?

thanks

Can’t speak to the bb questions but raceface bars are notably stiff and harsh. If I’m looking to cut weight off a bike, the first place I’m looking is cassette, chain, and tires. Entry level cassettes and chains are pigs. An xtr or xx1 cassette and chain will shave some weight. Also ask yourself if your tire setup is overkill - most of us don’t need double down casing with tire inserts for normal trail riding. That amount of security is nice in a race setting where there is no margin for error but for recreational riding, I’d rather go with a light trail tire and keep a spare tube. Also what kind of rear tire are you running? A lighter tread out back will make your bike feel faster.

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 at 9:29 Quote
running the stock high roller 2's that came on the bike

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 at 9:39 Quote
I wouldn't run a lighter tire than that.

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 at 9:44 Quote
XTR only makes 11 speed 11-40 cassette which i dont know would be the greatest for climbs and only saves me 150grams from the 11-46T SLX

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 at 9:57 Quote
I’ve heard of multiple people running sram 11 cassettes with Shimano shifting with no issues. You could get an xx1 cassette and chain and be fine.

Your hometown terrain and personal preference of grip vs rolling speed plays a large part in tire selection, but I’m of the opinion that if you’re riding relatively dry trails, a minion ss is a great rear tire choice for trail bikes with 140 mm or less.

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 at 13:29 Quote
Xtr will work with 42 and 46.

For a 30mm frank you’ll need adapter bearings - hope and Praxis make them but they are a compromise. I went through a pair ($100) about every 6 months on my trance.

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 at 14:16 Quote
I would just buy a Raceface BB, good and not too pricey

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 at 18:26 Quote
what about E13 BB92 and carbon cranks...any good?

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009067
Mobile Version of Website