Giant Trance 27.5

PB Forum :: Giant
Giant Trance 27.5
O+
Posted: Aug 14, 2019 at 19:04 Quote
What size spindle is it?

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 at 19:43 Quote
Their carbon cranks are 30mm spindle and they also sell 30mm bb92.

O+
Posted: Aug 14, 2019 at 20:09 Quote
It’s a bad idea. Regardless of brand the only way to do it is to run a smaller bearing and they don’t last. As I said, I did it on my trance and also on my Spartan and continually killed even expensive bearings. If you want to save weight and improve performance, there are better places.

Posted: Aug 15, 2019 at 4:04 Quote
I'm thinking of making my headangle more slacker. Currently running 160mm yari. The bike is 2017 giant trance 3. Stock angle is 67 degrees with 150mm travel. More travel up front does slacken it a bit but if i have understood correct its only maybe 0.5 degrees.

I have been looking at superstarcomponents angleset which is -2 degrees which would give me a head angle of 64.5 to 65 degrees.

https://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/slackerizer-angle-headset.htm

Question is which model fits the bike?

It was mentioned here once or twice but havent found it yet, was it zc49/ec49 for taper steerer? T6-2 from the list in the link above. (Which is out of stock currently)

Posted: Aug 15, 2019 at 10:25 Quote
Makes me wonder what people are riding that they feel the need for a slacker headset instead of just working on their skills. The only times I feel I need more stability are in situations where I'd also need a hell of a lot more travel (DH bike). My suggestion...if you've already put good suspension on then maybe just go ride your bike?

Posted: Aug 15, 2019 at 18:34 Quote
diegosk wrote:
I’ve heard of multiple people running sram 11 cassettes with Shimano shifting with no issues. You could get an xx1 cassette and chain and be fine.

Your hometown terrain and personal preference of grip vs rolling speed plays a large part in tire selection, but I’m of the opinion that if you’re riding relatively dry trails, a minion ss is a great rear tire choice for trail bikes with 140 mm or less.
+1 - for semi-slick that is. Last summer I used a Rock Razor on the back and I agree for dry conditions it worked very well. Obviously the small knobs are not great for soft and/or loose conditions but it was very good climbing polished roots, which knobby tires don't do very well. My RR is 2.6" Snakeskin Apex Addix Speedgrip (blue stripe).

If you're about to buy a new cassette, figure out the lowest and highest gears you "need", then pick the cassette and/or chainring that gets you there. There are more and more wide-range cassettes on the market, not sure how many are shimano-freehub-compatible though.

Posted: Aug 15, 2019 at 23:17 Quote
friendlyfoe wrote:
Makes me wonder what people are riding that they feel the need for a slacker headset instead of just working on their skills. The only times I feel I need more stability are in situations where I'd also need a hell of a lot more travel (DH bike). My suggestion...if you've already put good suspension on then maybe just go ride your bike?

I've been doing pretty much only bikepark stuff as of late. And i can still return back to more steeper angle.

And i'm also intrested in trying how it feels, if it makes more confident then its an upgrade for me.

Anyway if someone has the knowledge what headset i should buy, please share Smile

O+
Posted: Aug 16, 2019 at 6:48 Quote
friendlyfoe wrote:

As good a trail bike the trance is there is a point where the 67 deg HA isn't cutting it in the real fun stuff. Would a DH bike ride those trails better? Hell yeah. Are those trails buried deep in the bush with no shuttle access....yep.

Personally I think the Trance is great for a XC rider wanting to go rougher. Ultimately though for riders with a DH background the reign is the better choice. I know I should have gotten a Reign, but was coming back to MTB after a bit of a break (was racing BMX and riding a lot of road) and the trance seemed like a great all rounder which it has proven to be.

Now if I want to go for a XC ride I ride my hardtail..... which runs 65.5 deg HA.

O+
Posted: Aug 16, 2019 at 14:04 Quote
Bnito wrote:
I'm thinking of making my headangle more slacker. Currently running 160mm yari. The bike is 2017 giant trance 3. Stock angle is 67 degrees with 150mm travel. More travel up front does slacken it a bit but if i have understood correct its only maybe 0.5 degrees.

I have been looking at superstarcomponents angleset which is -2 degrees which would give me a head angle of 64.5 to 65 degrees.

It was mentioned here once or twice but havent found it yet, was it zc49/ec49 for taper steerer? T6-2 from the list in the link above. (Which is out of stock currently)

I have fitted the works components angleset.The 2 degree angleset that fits the trance is the EC44-ZS56 with the headtube length of 100-109mm.

Posted: Aug 16, 2019 at 19:28 Quote
Adamrideshisbike wrote:
Who has mulleted out their Trance? I want pictures and ride impressions.

I have been considering. I recon the bike is a great candidate:

150 fork with a 29 wheel will raise the headtube by 20mm and the bb by about 10mm
Maybe drop the fork to 140mm to keep the bb height in check.

Possibly ize up on the frame to make up for the reduced reach due to the raised front.

Another way to get there could be starting with a trance 29 and put a 27.5 wheel at the back. But you would need to run a longer shock to raise the BB back up. Not sure if possible....

Posted: Aug 17, 2019 at 22:36 Quote
Looks like for 2020 the 27.5 option is down to 1. Its pretty but does not seem to be available in just a frame. I'm not sure I want to go 29er yet and I've upgraded everything on my 2015 Trance 2 aside from my frame, cranks, and shock, so I don't need a whole new ride. Maybe it's the first time in 3 bikes that I won't be getting a Giant.

O+
Posted: Aug 18, 2019 at 10:05 Quote
Anyone know which upper bearing for a 2017 Trance Advance 2? I was greasing my headset and managed to mangle up the upper bearing. I can't seem to find any information online, it was a cartridge bearing.

Thanks for the help!

Posted: Aug 19, 2019 at 0:29 Quote
Franktrance wrote:
Bnito wrote:

I have fitted the works components angleset.The 2 degree angleset that fits the trance is the EC44-ZS56 with the headtube length of 100-109mm.

T7-2 EC44/ZS56 100-110mm Taper Steerer

this is what i ordered before your reply so i think i got it right, thanks for the clarification Smile

O+
Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 10:41 Quote
Does anyone know how many degrees of engagement the Tracker Performance Boost rear hub has? (came on my 2019 Trance 2)

Also, does anyone know the rim weight of the AM 27.5 (also from a 2019 Trance 2)?

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 14:42 Quote
Franktrance wrote:

How do you find it?

I have a 2017 trance 2 and wonder if this would be beneficial for some of the steep stuff round by me.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.016752
Mobile Version of Website