Giant Trance 27.5

PB Forum :: Giant
Giant Trance 27.5
O+
Posted: Aug 25, 2019 at 14:58 Quote
I have 6 rides on my 2019 Trance Advanced 1. I'm seeing some serious paint chipping in my rear triangle. Anyone else get this? I know the bike is fine but will Giant do anything for this? is it even worth talking to my LBS about it?

Posted: Aug 25, 2019 at 15:51 Quote
heinous wrote:
It’s a bad idea. Regardless of brand the only way to do it is to run a smaller bearing and they don’t last. As I said, I did it on my trance and also on my Spartan and continually killed even expensive bearings. If you want to save weight and improve performance, there are better places.

Ive already gone with a carbon race face sixc handlebar and SQlab 611 saddle. Now thinking about swapping out my SLX 11-46 cassette , rear derailleur and shifter for a XTR groupset... should cut another 270grams approx. After that i think the only way i can reduce weight further would be getting rid of the alloy XCT1 's and going with the carbon TRX 1's or TRX 0.

any other tips? anyone know how much the stock 50mm stem weighs?

O+
Posted: Aug 26, 2019 at 15:51 Quote
rsmisko wrote:
I have 6 rides on my 2019 Trance Advanced 1. I'm seeing some serious paint chipping in my rear triangle. Anyone else get this? I know the bike is fine but will Giant do anything for this? is it even worth talking to my LBS about it?

They occasionally have shit paint on the alloy, I’ve seen a couple do it - the base coat looks nonexistent... Hit up the shop.

O+
Posted: Aug 27, 2019 at 5:14 Quote
gsr4u2nv wrote:
heinous wrote:
It’s a bad idea. Regardless of brand the only way to do it is to run a smaller bearing and they don’t last. As I said, I did it on my trance and also on my Spartan and continually killed even expensive bearings. If you want to save weight and improve performance, there are better places.

Ive already gone with a carbon race face sixc handlebar and SQlab 611 saddle. Now thinking about swapping out my SLX 11-46 cassette , rear derailleur and shifter for a XTR groupset... should cut another 270grams approx. After that i think the only way i can reduce weight further would be getting rid of the alloy XCT1 's and going with the carbon TRX 1's or TRX 0.

any other tips? anyone know how much the stock 50mm stem weighs?

Garbruk rear cassette will be a much better option than XTR and is nice and light. Personally I won't go back to carbon wheels due to the rocky chunder I prefer to ride. Nice alloy hoops will be fine.

Posted: Aug 28, 2019 at 7:29 Quote
to remove my 2 piece cranks so I can replace the sprockets do I just take the left crank arm off and hammer the axle through or is there a special tool I need? I will obviously use a soft faced hammer or a block of wood etc..
sorry for the basic question, im only just learning this stuff.

Posted: Aug 30, 2019 at 5:07 Quote
gazmoose wrote:
to remove my 2 piece cranks so I can replace the sprockets do I just take the left crank arm off and hammer the axle through or is there a special tool I need? I will obviously use a soft faced hammer or a block of wood etc..
sorry for the basic question, im only just learning this stuff.

Hi Gazmoose, the cranks should push through fairly easy - a light tap with a soft mallet is all you need!

Posted: Sep 2, 2019 at 9:37 Quote
brilliant, thanks for the reassurance.

Posted: Sep 2, 2019 at 22:38 Quote
Bnito wrote:
Franktrance wrote:
Bnito wrote:
I'm thinking of making my headangle more slacker. Currently running 160mm yari. The bike is 2017 giant trance 3. Stock angle is 67 degrees with 150mm travel. More travel up front does slacken it a bit but if i have understood correct its only maybe 0.5 degrees.

I have been looking at superstarcomponents angleset which is -2 degrees which would give me a head angle of 64.5 to 65 degrees.

https://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/slackerizer-angle-headset.htm

Question is which model fits the bike?

It was mentioned here once or twice but havent found it yet, was it zc49/ec49 for taper steerer? T6-2 from the list in the link above. (Which is out of stock currently)

I have fitted the works components angleset.The 2 degree angleset that fits the trance is the EC44-ZS56 with the headtube length of 100-109mm.

T7-2 EC44/ZS56 100-110mm Taper Steerer

this is what i ordered before your reply so i think i got it right, thanks for the clarification Smile

I can now confirm that this angleset worked.

Was a bit pain to install as the fit was quite tight. Have not yet tested how it feels, but will do some bikepark stuff this evening.

O+
Posted: Sep 8, 2019 at 17:21 Quote
Joel123456 wrote:
Upgraded my 2011 trance to a 2017

After two years of riding the 2017 I've been very happy with it except I have some play in the dropper post and I'm looking to replace it.

Can anyone confirm the max insertion of the post is?

photo
photo

In case anyone is wondering this is about the max insertion for the 180mm oneup dropper on my medium frame.
photo

Posted: Sep 8, 2019 at 22:27 Quote
I have the 2014/15/16 shape trance and have just fitted the brand-X 120mm dropper and it sits about 15mm proud of the seat clamp on maximum insertion.

I did find a chart on google that listed all the lengths of the common posts.

Posted: Sep 9, 2019 at 7:46 Quote
Joel123456 wrote:
Joel123456 wrote:
Upgraded my 2011 trance to a 2017

After two years of riding the 2017 I've been very happy with it except I have some play in the dropper post and I'm looking to replace it.

Can anyone confirm the max insertion of the post is?

photo
photo

In case anyone is wondering this is about the max insertion for the 180mm oneup dropper on my medium frame.
photo

A heads up that unless you're super light weight most, if not all, droppers will develop play.

Posted: Sep 15, 2019 at 2:40 Quote
New DVO jade in a Giant Trance 2019 650lbs spring

New shock on the trance: DVO Jade coil - clearance is tight, but it fits! Also, wasnt sure the bike could feel better, but it does!

I was after better bump sensitivity and more support. I was blowing through the RS shock on the bike, or it was set up too hard. Some of this is just not having access to the adjustments rather than an air/coil debate. Either way, I'm very happy with the set up and highly recommend it. Being able to add pressure to the dampening circuit and the ease of rebuilding the shock are what sold me on the DVO.

Details: 2019 Trance, 650lbs coil, 90kg rider (kitted up)

O+
Posted: Sep 16, 2019 at 5:40 Quote
Man I love seeing these posts. I feel like I'm a perfect candidate for a coil for my style and size.

Is there much difference between the 2016 and 2019 (besides the mounting style) and would make it that much different?

Posted: Sep 16, 2019 at 9:11 Quote
Definitely give it a try!

If you have a look at linkage design blog you'll see there isn't much difference in the suspension design. Having said that, reviews point to the new trance (2017-2020) having a more active initial stroke, so if anything, the coil should improve a 2016 model even more!

Let us know if you try it, I imagine you can always begin with a second hand shock for a low risk project?

O+
Posted: Sep 16, 2019 at 10:33 Quote
I've been eyeing that Marzoocchi Bomber CR coil for $299, at that price, it's new for the price of used. Plus, I really just like to set everything up once and ride the bike, I really don't need 4 adjustments when 2 should suffice.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.102075
Mobile Version of Website