Giant Trance 27.5

PB Forum :: Giant
Giant Trance 27.5
O+
Posted: Oct 28, 2019 at 22:08 Quote
matt-15 wrote:
The rear triangle cross-brace of the Trance almost perfectly imitates a fork arch, so I decided to install one of those KurvyFlats fenders that was featured a few days ago onto the rear of my bike. Should hopefully keep me (a bit) cleaner while riding during the fall/ winter

KurvyFlats fender on the rear of my 2019 Giant Trance 2

any tire rub o the fender? i previously had a fender on the rear but it rubbed really bad so i took it off

O+
Posted: Oct 29, 2019 at 8:58 Quote
NinjaTheDude wrote:
matt-15 wrote:
The rear triangle cross-brace of the Trance almost perfectly imitates a fork arch, so I decided to install one of those KurvyFlats fenders that was featured a few days ago onto the rear of my bike. Should hopefully keep me (a bit) cleaner while riding during the fall/ winter

any tire rub o the fender? i previously had a fender on the rear but it rubbed really bad so i took it off

I haven't had any tire rub, although I think it slightly contacts the frame when fully compressed, so I put some clear frame protection on the back of the seat tube. I haven't actually checked whether it does yet because I'm too lazy to let all the air out of my shock to make sure

Posted: Nov 6, 2019 at 13:58 Quote
sostokedaboutthat wrote:
what's in-store for trance 275 2021? Only two models now for 275 2020, well at least in the UK.

I have a 2017 275 trance, still love it, but starting to get the upgrade bug!

Guys what do you reckon, do you think giant will renew the trance 275 in 2021? Otherwise looking at the new 29 reign looks epic, but might be too much bike for me and the trance 29 doesn’t look enough!

O+
Posted: Nov 6, 2019 at 17:11 Quote
Get the Reign, it's not too much.

Posted: Nov 6, 2019 at 20:03 Quote
Wheelbase on the Reign is only 50mm longer than the trance. Might be worth it depending on your local trails.

O+
Posted: Nov 7, 2019 at 6:42 Quote
I've read a lot about the Trance 29 proving well beyond what the spec implies it would handle. Can you try one first?

Posted: Nov 7, 2019 at 7:33 Quote
NRZ wrote:
I've read a lot about the Trance 29 proving well beyond what the spec implies it would handle. Can you try one first?

LBS doesn't have in to demo at the mo. Asked him for a price on the reign 29 carbon frameset, any of you boys rode the trance 29?

O+
Posted: Nov 7, 2019 at 20:07 Quote
matt-15 wrote:

You mostly ride in reverse?!

O+
Posted: Nov 9, 2019 at 17:58 Quote
sostokedaboutthat wrote:
NRZ wrote:

LBS doesn't have in to demo at the mo. Asked him for a price on the reign 29 carbon frameset, any of you boys rode the trance 29?

Guys I know sponsored by Giant got the new trance 29 when it came out hoping it would be an alternative to the 27” reign at the time. It wasn’t and they swapped back fast. They’re now on Reign 29 and loving it.

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 5:18 Quote
NCByron wrote:
cormac-james wrote:
hey im a bit confused with my 2017 trance's rear shock as some people are saying they have had a different stroke size and eye to eye length to mine. Also i have seen that some people have upgraded to 160mm up front and i didnt see what they put in the rear in eye to eye and stroke, does anyone know if it works and how it feels as it would suit my riding much better? Thanks

If you scroll back through I commented on these things. After reading if you have specific questions we will be happy to answer. As far as eye to eye, you should not change it. The stroke is what you can change. i.e. the stock shock is 187 x 52.5. 187mm is the eye to eye and 52.5 is the stroke. What folks are saying is that you can change the stroke to 55mm gaining just under 7mm of travel. It has been done with Rock Shock and Fox. One user has an Emerald but if I remember correctly it was tuned down from a 55 to a 52.5 by the factory to fit the bike.

I haven't commented much on the performance of the 187x55 DPX2 but I am hititng gaps, jumps, drops that I would not have attempted before the switch with ease. Rear is much calmer and predictable that it was with the stock Fox shock.

I know that I’m pretty late to this, but I just got a 2017 trance used, and I cant find any shocks with the 187mm eye to eye length, is that size just outdated?

O+
Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 5:34 Quote
CormacRohda wrote:
NCByron wrote:
cormac-james wrote:
hey im a bit confused with my 2017 trance's rear shock as some people are saying they have had a different stroke size and eye to eye length to mine. Also i have seen that some people have upgraded to 160mm up front and i didnt see what they put in the rear in eye to eye and stroke, does anyone know if it works and how it feels as it would suit my riding much better? Thanks

If you scroll back through I commented on these things. After reading if you have specific questions we will be happy to answer. As far as eye to eye, you should not change it. The stroke is what you can change. i.e. the stock shock is 187 x 52.5. 187mm is the eye to eye and 52.5 is the stroke. What folks are saying is that you can change the stroke to 55mm gaining just under 7mm of travel. It has been done with Rock Shock and Fox. One user has an Emerald but if I remember correctly it was tuned down from a 55 to a 52.5 by the factory to fit the bike.

I haven't commented much on the performance of the 187x55 DPX2 but I am hititng gaps, jumps, drops that I would not have attempted before the switch with ease. Rear is much calmer and predictable that it was with the stock Fox shock.

I know that I’m pretty late to this, but I just got a 2017 trance used, and I cant find any shocks with the 187mm eye to eye length, is that size just outdated?

The 2017-current Trance runs a 185 x 52.5 as the stock shock.

When people long-stroke it, they put on a 185 x 55. This size of shock is run on some other bikes and you may find them used, such as this shock:

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2667900/

O+
Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 8:38 Quote
As can be seen in that link it is important to note that it uses a trunnion mount shock not traditional eyelet at both ends

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 14:31 Quote
Has anyone here put a coil shock on their trance (specifically 2017). I am looking at the marzocchi bomber CR, mainly cause I think that coil shocks look better. I just heard that some frames won’t really work well with coil shocks, if they were designed for n air shock. Thanks

O+
Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 15:25 Quote
CormacRohda wrote:
Has anyone here put a coil shock on their trance (specifically 2017). I am looking at the marzocchi bomber CR, mainly cause I think that coil shocks look better. I just heard that some frames won’t really work well with coil shocks, if they were designed for n air shock. Thanks

I too am interested in this. The 2017 frame is the same as the current frame, so anyone with a 2017-2020 bike would find this useful as well. I've been thinking of the MRP Hazzard with a progressive spring to keep ramp-up similar to an air shock

O+
Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 20:37 Quote
I posted my 2016 with an EXT Storia coil shock on the previous page. Not a 2017 but the 16 has same stroke and rear travel so kinematics/leverage ratio should be nearly identical. I should note mine is a 55mm stroke as opposed to the stock 52.5mm stroke. I would recommend going for that if upgrading (185 x 55 for 17).

As for the performance, it is amazing. I love it and am super glad I switched over to it. The EXT has a progressive damper circuit and a hydraulic bottom out so I have not experienced any harsh bottom outs and the grip/plushness it provides is insane.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014685
Mobile Version of Website