Giant Trance 27.5

PB Forum :: Giant
Giant Trance 27.5
| Next Page
Posted: Nov 21, 2019 at 4:13 Quote
Hi Guys running a 2017 trance 27.5 with super deluxe shock with 2 bands, 1x12spd XT 32t % 51T. I’m about 75kg anyone similar weight and specs got there pressures & rebound for comparison. I’ve serviced the shock and changed the drivetrain (also had all frame bearings changed) and the rear doesn’t seem to feel as smooth, there is literally no bob when the shock is fully open now as a bonus, but it doesn’t feel as dialled!

Posted: Nov 21, 2019 at 5:09 Quote
sostokedaboutthat wrote:
Hi Guys running a 2017 trance 27.5 with super deluxe shock with 2 bands, 1x12spd XT 32t % 51T. I’m about 75kg anyone similar weight and specs got there pressures & rebound for comparison. I’ve serviced the shock and changed the drivetrain (also had all frame bearings changed) and the rear doesn’t seem to feel as smooth, there is literally no bob when the shock is fully open now as a bonus, but it doesn’t feel as dialled!

Try removing pressure in 5 PSI increments until it suits you, you are on the lighter side of the spectrum. Bands adding/removing will probably not help as the come in play in the end part of the stroke.

Posted: Nov 21, 2019 at 10:00 Quote
How far are you from the recommended stock settings? Realistically you should be within a few clicks/psi in most cases. And did you have the shock serviced by a suspension place or just your local shop?

Posted: Nov 21, 2019 at 10:55 Quote
Run about 185Psi. Serviced it myself, pretty easy just swapping over seals, cleaning & adding fresh oil.

Tempted to hire out a shockwiz.

Posted: Nov 21, 2019 at 16:00 Quote
If your air pressure is as you say and there is almost no bob then there is either something wrong with the shock, or something in your drivetrain/pivots that is restricting the shock from moving.

Posted: Nov 21, 2019 at 16:14 Quote
Has the shock been serviced recently?

Posted: Nov 21, 2019 at 23:36 Quote
friendlyfoe wrote:
If your air pressure is as you say and there is almost no bob then there is either something wrong with the shock, or something in your drivetrain/pivots that is restricting the shock from moving.

It’s using its travel that’s for sure but its definitely firmed up when when peddling, which isn’t a bad thing! Could the chain length effect it? I need to re-measure the chain length I know the 12sp Shimano is fussy about chain length. I have loosed & re torqued the linkage bolts.

Will see how she is on the next ride. Was after what’s pressure & rebound peeps are using?

Posted: Nov 22, 2019 at 11:16 Quote
To rule out the linkage I would remove the shock and see if it moves freely with no binding to ensure something didn't get messed up when you had it apart. Also I will ask again, when was the last time the shock was serviced?

Who changed the frame bearings?

Posted: Nov 22, 2019 at 11:20 Quote
mixmastamikal wrote:
To rule out the linkage I would remove the shock and see if it moves freely with no binding to ensure something didn't get messed up when you had it apart. Also I will ask again, when was the last time the shock was serviced?

Who changed the frame bearings?

I serviced the shock within the last 3mths

Posted: Nov 22, 2019 at 17:12 Quote
I would do what mikal said and then again with the shock in and no pressure in the air can. From your explanation it sounds like something in the system is binding.

And I believe too short of a chain could also cause the problem you describe but am not 100% sure.

Posted: Nov 22, 2019 at 18:59 Quote
sostokedaboutthat wrote:

was the compression knob removed/installed with correct orientation? maybe its out by 360 degrees or something?

Posted: Nov 23, 2019 at 0:44 Quote
friendlyfoe wrote:
I would do what mikal said and then again with the shock in and no pressure in the air can. From your explanation it sounds like something in the system is binding.

And I believe too short of a chain could also cause the problem you describe but am not 100% sure.

If it was due to the chain being too short it should only be noticed when in the highest gears. So if descending and in lower gears it should feel normal if this is the case. Sounds more like linkage binding or or a seized bearing to me.

Posted: Nov 23, 2019 at 2:40 Quote
Cheers guys, will try all the things you suggest. Sucks when don't feel at one with bike! Had to send forks off for a service as they felt pants after home service and upgrade to charger 2.1, hopefully they are sorted.

Made to many charges at once, and cocked up the bike!

Posted: Nov 30, 2019 at 20:58 Quote
sostokedaboutthat wrote:
Cheers guys, will try all the things you suggest. Sucks when don't feel at one with bike! Had to send forks off for a service as they felt pants after home service and upgrade to charger 2.1, hopefully they are sorted.

Air can seals isn't the same thing as a shock rebuild. Might be time to send the shock to a service centre too.

Posted: Dec 1, 2019 at 1:29 Quote
Probably right, it is 3 yrs+ old now and I’ve always just serviced in-house!
PaulieAU wrote:
sostokedaboutthat wrote:

Air can seals isn't the same thing as a shock rebuild. Might be time to send the shock to a service centre too.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010477
Mobile Version of Website