Giant Trance 27.5

PB Forum :: Giant
Giant Trance 27.5
| Next Page
Posted: Aug 8, 2020 at 22:00 Quote
Depends on the crank you use. It’s a PF92.

Posted: Aug 10, 2020 at 16:01 Quote
Thank you. Big help. I've got a SRAM crank on and want to put a Shimano on.

Posted: Aug 21, 2020 at 17:55 Quote
For anyone debating getting a nice shock, just do it! My new Fox DPX2 Factory completely changes the way my bike feels from the stock Fox DPS Performance. Have had one downhill park riding day on it so far and already it has made a huge difference!

First couple laps down on my 2021 Fox DPX2 Factory

Posted: Aug 25, 2020 at 23:25 Quote
I will soon be swapping my DPS out for a 200x56 Mcleod, waiting for it to be shipped.
I did a bit of experimenting with the DPS first, filled 30% of the Evol chamber with rubber bands, for 30% sag pressure decreased with 20 psi, from 290, yet I still cannot get the travel I expect from it. The Mcleod will be low volume, which I understand is more suitable for heavy riders.

Also, I did the 140 to 160mm Fox 34 shaft change, while also installing SKF low friction wipers. All good, the difference is not huge, yet noticeable: the bike is less aggressive, more planted. Climbing steep needs a bit more center of gravity management, which was expected.

Despite of the new shock, which of course will not alter the geometry, I am considering an angle set to also correct the seat angle. I would be inclined to go with the Superstar, yet I am a bit afraid that a -2 is too much.

Posted: Aug 31, 2020 at 0:29 Quote
I used to own 2017 giant trance 3, i have sold the bike but i kept the original wheels for my self.

I have now rebuilt the wheels using a chinese carbon rims, and the old giant hubs.

The giant hub has a shimano HG freehub, does anyone know can i change the freehub just by ordering a sram xd freehub from example giantspares.com.

The hub is : https://www.giantbikespares.com/Giant-Rear-Hub---XC1-%28Trance-2018%29--1520-DC1612-702/product_detail/3-44468

current freehub : https://www.giantbikespares.com/Giant-FH501B-Freehub--152B-FH501B-501/product_detail/3-43571

what i'm thinking of ordering : https://www.giantbikespares.com/DT-Swiss-Freehub-Body-SRAM-XD-Drive-for-3-Pawl-Hubs--147O-DT360M-701/product_detail/3-44702

or : https://www.giantbikespares.com/Giant-Sram-XD-Freehub-Body--152B-FH565A-501/product_detail/3-43183

So basicly, has anyone changed the freehub on their trances from Shimano HG to Sram XD. I'd like to use my gx eagle 12 speed cassette on these wheels.

Posted: Sep 1, 2020 at 13:54 Quote
Anyone put a cane creek angleset in a 19 trance advanced 2? If so what’s the part number?

Posted: Sep 2, 2020 at 0:34 Quote
Allright, Mcleod is in. I did just one ride and the impressions so far are the change is worth it, over the Fox DPS Evol performance.

While the Lock mode (position 4) on the Mcleod is nowhere near as firm as on the DPS, it is enough for the Trance. I did not like the Lock mode anyway on the DPS on the Trance, it was too firm for longer segments, too bouncy. Even in lock mode, with the Mcleod there is pedal bob especially when pedaling standing up, but otoh I am 105kg, so I guess it's normal.

The other 3 "open" modes of the Mcleod are smoother than the two ones of the DPS, I can actually feel the progressivity of the shock, while on the DPS there was not much feel.

Pressure went down from 270psi to 170psi for a 30% sag, and I believe I can go a bit lower.

Travel went to 154mm, it's a 200x56mm shock. There is no clearance issue, even with 2.6 tyres, yet my frame is an XL.
The 154mm suits well the 160mm I have now in the front.

Controls are not so smooth as Fox's, the rebound knob has no clicks and it's rather sharp on the fingers, and the lever operates the opposite side as Fox. The Open position is all the way to the left, while closed is facing the ground.

It was a worthwhile upgrade, yet I need more time on the bike to find out the true behavior of it.

Posted: Sep 2, 2020 at 22:26 Quote
Views: 104    Faves: 0    Comments: 0

I still have yet to find the limit on what you can ride on a Trance

Posted: Sep 11, 2020 at 12:29 Quote
My wife has a 2018 trance 2. Anyone know if a a 185x55 mm dpx2 will fit without causing issues?

Posted: Sep 11, 2020 at 13:34 Quote
I use that size without problem. It’s been ridden hard and bottomed.

Posted: Sep 11, 2020 at 20:55 Quote
Adamrideshisbike wrote:
I use that size without problem. It’s been ridden hard and bottomed.

That is awesome. Thanks for the reply.

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 7:10 Quote
Spend a decent amount of time reading through this thread, but one thing I am not seeing is what (if any) are the gotchas when converting a 2015 to a 142 rear hub? I've located and purchased the 142x12 drop out kit. Next will be to grab a set of wheels and I was thinking of running the GX 12x drivetrain. That being said...

Any issues with rear disk alignment?
Once I am running the DUB BB, any chain line issues with this drivetrain (XD driver hub)?
Any special tools needed to swap those drop outs (doesn't look like it)?

Thanks in advance for any info/tips/tricks for this conversion!

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 10:44 Quote
You just need a small allen key to swap the drop outs.
When you put your cranks in you want the 'Chainline to be 49mm, so measure from the centre of the chain ring tooth to the centre of the frame and adjust the Crank axle out with the supplied spacers. I put sram Nx on my same size trance and used the thicker spacer on the drive side and the thin on the non drive side.

| Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010551
Mobile Version of Website