Giant Trance 27.5

PB Forum :: Giant
Giant Trance 27.5
| Next Page
Posted: 3 days ago Quote
microfiz wrote:
The offset was not something I am sensitive to (which relates to trail). I do know it's in the 40's and so it's close enough. Some other people might be bothered by it, but I make adjustments based on how the bike feels. The front does feel floppy at super low speeds but it's very liveable.

I didn't realize you have a Fox 34. It maxxes out at 150mm, unfortunately (from what I know, anyway).

I came from riding a fully rigid 1995 Huffy Thunder Ridge for 23 years before getting my Trance. Having such a different trail and frame geometry was really noticeable to me at the time. I felt so twitchy at slow speeds, but I've gotten used to that now. Since I'm more used to the newer geometry than I was two years ago, I may not notice a small change in the trail either.

I think you're right about the Rhythm 34 maxing out at 150. I'm torn between finding a gently used Factory 36 matched to all the other specs vs getting the same but with 10mm extra travel. I think I'd be happy with either. My main complaint has always been that as I start to ride more aggressively, the ride becomes too harsh and bouncy. My LBS has helped me tune and adjust everything. I didn't realize how big a difference the feel was until I rode a friend's Pivot e-Bike that was set up with Factory 36 & DPX2. My rear has always been the worse of the two. I'll probably start with upgrading the rear, and then decide what I want to do with the front after riding that for a short time. And it'll help to break those expenses up too.

---------

Edit: Just read a really good article that explained how to change the travel and what you were saying about the air shaft is starting to make more sense. So really, I don't have to decide one way or the other. If I over-fork and am not happy with it, it's not a big issue to change the travel. Smile I've got so much to learn. lol

Posted: 2 days ago Quote
johnboy86us wrote:

I came from riding a fully rigid 1995 Huffy Thunder Ridge for 23 years before getting my Trance. Having such a different trail and frame geometry was really noticeable to me at the time. I felt so twitchy at slow speeds, but I've gotten used to that now. Since I'm more used to the newer geometry than I was two years ago, I may not notice a small change in the trail either.

I think you're right about the Rhythm 34 maxing out at 150. I'm torn between finding a gently used Factory 36 matched to all the other specs vs getting the same but with 10mm extra travel. I think I'd be happy with either. My main complaint has always been that as I start to ride more aggressively, the ride becomes too harsh and bouncy. My LBS has helped me tune and adjust everything. I didn't realize how big a difference the feel was until I rode a friend's Pivot e-Bike that was set up with Factory 36 & DPX2. My rear has always been the worse of the two. I'll probably start with upgrading the rear, and then decide what I want to do with the front after riding that for a short time. And it'll help to break those expenses up too.

---------

Edit: Just read a really good article that explained how to change the travel and what you were saying about the air shaft is starting to make more sense. So really, I don't have to decide one way or the other. If I over-fork and am not happy with it, it's not a big issue to change the travel. Smile I've got so much to learn. lol

People are probably not going to agree with this statement, but in my experience, e-bikes are just more stable, smoother and faster. I have the pedal and E-Trance and I will tell you that despite their similarities, the rides are completely different.

So I'm saying that what you've noticed between your bike and the Shuttle is that. You should hop on another bike of similar travel as a point of comparison.

Any Fox 36 (Rythm, Performance or Factory) with a Grip damper (1 or 2) will be good (stay away from FIT... lol!). You can also look into the RS Pike or Lyrik. Personally, I prefer Rockshox because they feel more supple and smooth compared to any Fox fork I've tried (except from the earlier Vanilla coil-sprung forks... those were smooth!). DO NOT get the Rockshox 35 Gold series... those are the shittiest forks on earth! lol

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009232
Mobile Version of Website