Giant Trance 27.5

PB Forum :: Giant
Giant Trance 27.5
Posted: Jun 7, 2021 at 8:52 Quote
GAQ wrote:
Mmohovic wrote:
Hi, I bought a giant trance 1.5 2019 last winter, found great clearance deal. When I was reading some reviews I found that the actual measured hta is lower than stated - https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/biking/mountain-bike-under-2500/giant-trance-3
I measured my hta with phone app and it measures around 65.5, I'm wondering if anyone has measured their hta with something more precise, I'm not sure about the accuracy of the app.

it would be hard to check with the bike on the ground since the ground must be level to begin.
difference in front and rear tires would also though you number off, due to tire size and knob height.

the best way to check is to have the bike on a bike stand and have it leveled axle to axle.
then you would be able to get the true head angle after taking out the variables.

probably too much of a hassle to really bother.

I thought about that, but I measured the angle in my apartment, which I believe has fairly leveled floor (also tried switching the position of front/rear wheel and the measurements were the same). I also measured the height of the rim from the floor, the rear tire is around 4 mm lower, so I tried adding something under the tire to eliminate that difference, I found that this affected the angle only by around .1 or .2 degree.

Based on all of that, 1.5 degree difference is big to be just a measurement error so I was wondering if anyone else has tried measuring. Seems strange that giant would declare wrong numbers, but I also read those numbers in the posted review.

Could this be because of different forks on different kit levels?

Posted: Jun 7, 2021 at 9:16 Quote
No 2 frames of the same model will be exactly the same. I've heard they generally have a 0.5° margin of error on hta measurements but couldn't tell you where I picked that info up from.

Fork a2c will be slightly different at different spec levels but not enough to matter.

I'd not get hung up on it and just ride the thing. Even if your measurement is accurate, that's a good thing. First thing this frame needs to modernise it is at least 2° of the hta.

Posted: Jun 7, 2021 at 9:50 Quote
I ride it all the time, it feels great to me, but I've never tried anything newer (slacker). I know it should be a good thing, so before measuring I was thinking about fitting an angleset when the season ends, but if the measurement is correct, I might not need it.

I just wanted to confirm this with other owners

Posted: Jun 7, 2021 at 20:59 Quote
Mmohovic wrote:
I ride it all the time, it feels great to me, but I've never tried anything newer (slacker). I know it should be a good thing, so before measuring I was thinking about fitting an angleset when the season ends, but if the measurement is correct, I might not need it.

Most level apps have a reset button that zeroes out the ground so even if you are on unleveled ground, the readings would be somewhat reliable (don't know how many degrees of error, but I'd like to think it's within +/- 0.2 degrees). I tried it on a few bikes and the readings were within expected. My Trance with a 2 deg Works component and overforked reads under 64 deg... and feels really good.

Posted: Jun 8, 2021 at 1:24 Quote
microfiz wrote:
Mmohovic wrote:

Most level apps have a reset button that zeroes out the ground so even if you are on unleveled ground, the readings would be somewhat reliable (don't know how many degrees of error, but I'd like to think it's within +/- 0.2 degrees). I tried it on a few bikes and the readings were within expected. My Trance with a 2 deg Works component and overforked reads under 64 deg... and feels really good.

Thanks for the info, I don't feel that I need to change the angle for now, I might only change the travel on the 36 to 160 mm when the time of service comes since it is a cheap upgrade. Based on the current measurements it would result in an angle around 65 which is fine by me.

Posted: Jun 9, 2021 at 18:03 Quote
Hey there. This has probably been covered, but this thread is huge, so here it goes. Do I need to find anything more specific than a standard trunnion 185×52.5 shock for a 2019 trance?

Posted: Jun 9, 2021 at 18:16 Quote
No. You can look for a 185 x 55 too in the buy and sell. It works well too and you get a bit more travel. It might be a more common size too. Comes on Evils and Norco Sights. You can always add a little spacer and get the stroke to 52.5mm if you prefer the stock travel.

Posted: Jun 9, 2021 at 18:49 Quote
Super, thanks! One more question. Does anyone know the bushing size needed for a fox shock? I don't think I can reuse the ones from the stock rockshox.

Posted: Jun 17, 2021 at 5:33 Quote
I have a 2020 Trance 2 and looking at making it lighter. Where should I start? For the record I am currently looking for a DPX2 to replace the OEM shock. I have Micheline Wild enduros 2.6 tubeless.
Thanks

Posted: Jun 17, 2021 at 5:50 Quote
Willowbeast wrote:
I have a 2020 Trance 2 and looking at making it lighter. Where should I start? For the record I am currently looking for a DPX2 to replace the OEM shock. I have Micheline Wild enduros 2.6 tubeless.
Thanks

Well, sir, you are trying to put on a heavier shock and already have heavier tires, it would seem you have already killed the weigh-weeny in you, but alas, no.

I think the standard answer here is wheels. But I wouldn't say that there is anything glaringly heavy on that build. Just a ton of parts you can replace and save fractions of weight here or there.

Posted: Jun 17, 2021 at 7:16 Quote
Adamrideshisbike wrote:
Willowbeast wrote:
Thanks

Well, sir, you are trying to put on a heavier shock and already have heavier tires, it would seem you have already killed the weigh-weeny in you, but alas, no.

I think the standard answer here is wheels. But I wouldn't say that there is anything glaringly heavy on that build. Just a ton of parts you can replace and save fractions of weight here or there.

Adam's spot on.

I will say that if your bike came with a DPS shock, a DPX2 upgrade is a SIGNIFICANT upgrade in performance. You won't regret it.

Posted: Jun 17, 2021 at 7:20 Quote
microfiz wrote:
Adamrideshisbike wrote:
Willowbeast wrote:
Thanks

Adam's spot on.

I will say that if your bike came with a DPS shock, a DPX2 upgrade is a SIGNIFICANT upgrade in performance. You won't regret it.

Thanks guys. What should I be looking for in terms of wheels. I don't need to go carbon what are your suggestions? Not trying to be a weight weenie. I figured I'd replace the shock as it's making a whooshing sound and needs a service, the cost of parts and whatnot I figured I spend more and get a used DPX2.

Posted: Jun 17, 2021 at 8:05 Quote
Willowbeast wrote:
microfiz wrote:
Adamrideshisbike wrote:

Adam's spot on.

Thanks guys. What should I be looking for in terms of wheels. I don't need to go carbon what are your suggestions? Not trying to be a weight weenie. I figured I'd replace the shock as it's making a whooshing sound and needs a service, the cost of parts and whatnot I figured I spend more and get a used DPX2.

i went with dt swiss wheels
xm481 front 28 spoke
ex511 rear 32 spoke
probably heavier than the stock wheels that came on my trance, but i really like them.

most of my upgrades have made my bike heavier, but its feels way better
now at 32.4 pounds

Posted: Jun 17, 2021 at 8:25 Quote
I run DT Swiss 1501's on my bike, but they are a bit pricey.

Posted: Jun 18, 2021 at 7:09 Quote
Adamrideshisbike wrote:
I run DT Swiss 1501's on my bike, but they are a bit pricey.

Like these?
https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3074338/

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007496
Mobile Version of Website