Giant Trance 27.5

PB Forum :: Giant
Giant Trance 27.5
Posted: Aug 23, 2021 at 7:47 Quote
slodsm wrote:
Curious if anyone knows the longest dropper that fits an 18 Large frame. I’m at work right now (work out of town) and can’t measure for a week or so. My contact is sticky now and I’ve don’t all the maintenance and greasing etc. still takes a bump to get it to come up. So I’m going to order a fox dropper, just not 100% sure a 150 fits, OEM is 125 isn’t it?

The older (longer insertion length) Fox Transfer 150 is very close to fitting me (5'7) on my medium, but about 1 cm too tall.

The new one is shorter, so I would imagine it, on a large, would be fine. One Up posts are a lot shorten if you want to go with a really long dropper.

Posted: Aug 23, 2021 at 10:16 Quote
GAQ wrote:
slodsm wrote:
Curious if anyone knows the longest dropper that fits an 18 Large frame. I’m at work right now (work out of town) and can’t measure for a week or so. My contact is sticky now and I’ve don’t all the maintenance and greasing etc. still takes a bump to get it to come up. So I’m going to order a fox dropper, just not 100% sure a 150 fits, OEM is 125 isn’t it?

It will actually depend on your individual seat height. A 200mm+ dropper will fit the bike but not fit you.
if you don't want to measure your seat height and the max post insertion for your frame, and the insertion length of the new post, i would suggest getting an adjustable dropper like a one up or pnw dropper.

you'll need 31.6 post diameter.
I run a 170mm dropper on my size medium frame no issue and im only 5'6", but i have long legs and short torso.

You might have to reroute your dropper cable in your frame. my dropper cable was routed to the rear of the upper maestro rocker bolt on the seat tube when i bought it. With the longer post this caused a kink in cable cable housing that gave the post crappy actuation. I had to route the cable housing in front of the rocker to fix this issue.

Correction: It's a 30.9mm seatpost diameter, also I'm not sure about the 2018 model but the 2019+ size larges come stock with 150mm drop

Posted: Aug 23, 2021 at 10:39 Quote
matt-15 wrote:
GAQ wrote:
slodsm wrote:

It will actually depend on your individual seat height. A 200mm+ dropper will fit the bike but not fit you.
if you don't want to measure your seat height and the max post insertion for your frame, and the insertion length of the new post, i would suggest getting an adjustable dropper like a one up or pnw dropper.

you'll need 31.6 post diameter.
I run a 170mm dropper on my size medium frame no issue and im only 5'6", but i have long legs and short torso.

You might have to reroute your dropper cable in your frame. my dropper cable was routed to the rear of the upper maestro rocker bolt on the seat tube when i bought it. With the longer post this caused a kink in cable cable housing that gave the post crappy actuation. I had to route the cable housing in front of the rocker to fix this issue.

Correction: It's a 30.9mm seatpost diameter, also I'm not sure about the 2018 model but the 2019+ size larges come stock with 150mm drop

sorry, you are right
i got my bikes confused. lol

Posted: Aug 23, 2021 at 12:26 Quote
slodsm wrote:

when you say you did the maintenance and greasing, do you mean you unscrewed the wiper collar and cleaned and lubed under that? whenever my Contact SL gets sticky, that helps a lot.

Posted: Aug 23, 2021 at 19:23 Quote
brianl wrote:
slodsm wrote:

when you say you did the maintenance and greasing, do you mean you unscrewed the wiper collar and cleaned and lubed under that? whenever my Contact SL gets sticky, that helps a lot.

Brian yessir, that’s what I did. It moves smooth as silk, but after being in the down position, it moves SLOWWWWW, like 10mm a minute slow lol. But if I butt bounce it, it shoots back up normal speed.

I’ve cleaned, greased, etc several times and used several different types. Just hasn’t worked out.

So I ordered a PNW Loam post.

Posted: Aug 24, 2021 at 4:27 Quote
My 2021 DPX2 is set to arrive next week, looking forward to it.

Posted: Aug 24, 2021 at 5:41 Quote
Did you do a 55mm stroke?

Mine has been phenomenal. I love how well it pedals vs how well it eats landings.

Posted: Aug 24, 2021 at 7:15 Quote
slodsm wrote:

Mine has been phenomenal. I love how well it pedals vs how well it eats landings.

And even if you did get the 52.5mm flavor, you can always clip the travel spacer off to get 55mm.

This shock practically mimics coil on the chattery stuff... very little stiction (or maybe just good negative air volume).

Posted: Aug 24, 2021 at 8:16 Quote
microfiz wrote:
slodsm wrote:

And even if you did get the 52.5mm flavor, you can always clip the travel spacer off to get 55mm.

This shock practically mimics coil on the chattery stuff... very little stiction (or maybe just good negative air volume).

Actually I did get the 55 Smile . I am very much looking forward to it. The Rhythm is doing well, I just found the DPS lacking. I noticed that when doing drops, it just didn't feel great. I found a 2021 on the buy/sell here, made sure its a trunnion mount and in the 55 flavor! Any tips or tricks for removing and or installing?

Posted: Sep 1, 2021 at 10:00 Quote
Installed it about 30mins ago. Had some trouble didn't realize I had to pop out the plastic tabs in the bottom of the shock. Then had some issues getting everything lined up. It's done. Now about to play around with the settings.

Posted: Sep 1, 2021 at 11:13 Quote
has anyone ever noticed a difference going to the 55mm strike length?

Wondering if its worth opening the shock to remove the spacer,

Posted: Sep 1, 2021 at 12:29 Quote
It's worth doing. No downsides that I can see. Been running 55mm for years now.

Posted: Sep 1, 2021 at 13:04 Quote
Adamrideshisbike wrote:

Are you saying there is a tab i should remove from the air can of the 55?

Posted: Sep 1, 2021 at 13:22 Quote
Willowbeast wrote:
Adamrideshisbike wrote:

Are you saying there is a tab i should remove from the air can of the 55?

I have a Super Deluxe Coil (take off from a Norco). Can't help you there.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007581
Mobile Version of Website