Giant Trance 27.5

PB Forum :: Giant
Giant Trance 27.5
Posted: Nov 18, 2021 at 20:11 Quote
Mmohovic wrote:
GAQ wrote:
Mmohovic wrote:
Hi, I bought a giant trance 1.5 2019 last winter, found great clearance deal. When I was reading some reviews I found that the actual measured hta is lower than stated - https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/biking/mountain-bike-under-2500/giant-trance-3
I measured my hta with phone app and it measures around 65.5, I'm wondering if anyone has measured their hta with something more precise, I'm not sure about the accuracy of the app.

it would be hard to check with the bike on the ground since the ground must be level to begin.
difference in front and rear tires would also though you number off, due to tire size and knob height.

the best way to check is to have the bike on a bike stand and have it leveled axle to axle.
then you would be able to get the true head angle after taking out the variables.

probably too much of a hassle to really bother.

I thought about that, but I measured the angle in my apartment, which I believe has fairly leveled floor (also tried switching the position of front/rear wheel and the measurements were the same). I also measured the height of the rim from the floor, the rear tire is around 4 mm lower, so I tried adding something under the tire to eliminate that difference, I found that this affected the angle only by around .1 or .2 degree.

Based on all of that, 1.5 degree difference is big to be just a measurement error so I was wondering if anyone else has tried measuring. Seems strange that giant would declare wrong numbers, but I also read those numbers in the posted review.

Could this be because of different forks on different kit levels?

I have a 2018 trance and also have a measured head tube angle of 65.5.

Posted: Dec 15, 2021 at 4:01 Quote
Finally after a few years, the giant dropper has hit the sack... Also it almost got completely seized into the seat tube... That might have been my mistake for not using any carbon paste (carbon frame + alu seatpost). Thankfully it's out with no damage to the frame!

Decided to get an upgrade which could actually be the last thing I put on this bike. Unless something breaks of course.

Still absolutely love this setup and geometry and don't see any reason at all to change it!

photo

The lever is also a huge upgrade over the ancient simple giant one I used to run! Much more control. Crazy picetag on it though...

photo

O+
Posted: Dec 15, 2021 at 5:48 Quote
DimitrisCSD wrote:
Finally after a few years, the giant dropper has hit the sack... Also it almost got completely seized into the seat tube... That might have been my mistake for not using any carbon paste (carbon frame + alu seatpost). Thankfully it's out with no damage to the frame!

Decided to get an upgrade which could actually be the last thing I put on this bike. Unless something breaks of course.

Still absolutely love this setup and geometry and don't see any reason at all to change it!

photo

The lever is also a huge upgrade over the ancient simple giant one I used to run! Much more control. Crazy picetag on it though...

photo

That Wolftooth lever is worth every penny (crazy as the price is). Nice looking machine.

O+
Posted: Dec 15, 2021 at 9:55 Quote
I've got one of those WolfTooth levers on mine, well worth the money

ODI Rogue Grips Wolf Tooth Components ReMote Chromag Fubars OSX

Posted: Dec 15, 2021 at 13:24 Quote
Wow I had not noticed that the light action version was so much longer. Difference is very noticeable!

O+
Posted: Apr 19, 2022 at 15:07 Quote
Hello all. Can anyone recommend an angleset for a 2017 Trance Ad?

Posted: Apr 19, 2022 at 15:43 Quote
The 9point8 SlackR might work for you

O+
Posted: Apr 21, 2022 at 7:59 Quote
Franken-Bike wrote:
The 9point8 SlackR might work for you

It doesn't.

Posted: Apr 21, 2022 at 8:11 Quote
Adamrideshisbike wrote:
Hello all. Can anyone recommend an angleset for a 2017 Trance Ad?

I have the 2 deg Works Angleset on my Trance. Been knock-free so far.

Posted: May 7, 2022 at 12:06 Quote
Just picked this up:
New bike day Giant trance.

Giant Trance 3 (Link to spec)

Relatively new to MTB in the sense that I haven't ridden full sus or trails in over 10 years...

Anything stand out that requires an upgrade sharpish?

O+
Posted: May 7, 2022 at 13:52 Quote
luke2012 wrote:

Rear tyre needs some air in it and it needs pedals! Beer

Seriously though, looks like a good solid value spec, As you eventually wear parts out you might upgrade some to reduce weight, but nothing jumps out as needing upgrade.

Posted: May 7, 2022 at 14:14 Quote
Gravelben wrote:
luke2012 wrote:

Rear tyre needs some air in it and it needs pedals! Beer

Seriously though, looks like a good solid value spec, As you eventually wear parts out you might upgrade some to reduce weight, but nothing jumps out as needing upgrade.

Bike shop will be handling the tyres, they’ve got it for a week to do a “pre delivery inspection” Eek …A week! And got some gusset pedals!

Also, after so many years out of riding, a £2.5k bike and “value parts” sounds crazy lol

Cheers man appreciate the advice, I’ll have to see how it goes and just assess anything that doesn’t feel right, as long as there’s no “oh that’s going to break straight away” then I’m good.

O+
Posted: May 7, 2022 at 18:28 Quote
luke2012 wrote:

Bike shop will be handling the tyres, they’ve got it for a week to do a “pre delivery inspection” Eek …A week! And got some gusset pedals!

Also, after so many years out of riding, a £2.5k bike and “value parts” sounds crazy lol

Cheers man appreciate the advice, I’ll have to see how it goes and just assess anything that doesn’t feel right, as long as there’s no “oh that’s going to break straight away” then I’m good.

It is a bit that way with prices these days! But to be fair, 'value parts' now are often more solid, reliable, crisp shifting etc than high end stuff from 10 years ago.

I have the wide range 1x11 Deore drivetrain on my hardtail and no complaints about its performance at all, its probably just a heavier cassette than the more expensive versions. But crisp reliable shifting, clutch derailleur, and much cheaper replacement parts if you smash it on a rock or something.

The Bomber Z2 is a great fork too, more or less the same as a Fox 34 rhythm but maybe a tad heavier and stiffer. I have one of those on my hardtail too funny enough, it doesn't have the separate high and low speed damping adjustments of a fancy GRIP2 damper but the base tune is good enough not to care.

O+
Posted: May 21, 2022 at 15:25 Quote
who has thrown some 203 rotors on your trance? how do you like them?

O+
Posted: May 21, 2022 at 16:47 Quote
NinjaTheDude wrote:
who has thrown some 203 rotors on your trance? how do you like them?

I had one on the front for a bit and it did improve performance, but I found it warped too easily so I swapped back to 180 front and back and only used a 203 front when I took my bike park riding. Metallic brake pads made a bigger impact than rotor size in my experience

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015662
Mobile Version of Website