Giant Trance 27.5

PB Forum :: Giant
Giant Trance 27.5
| Next Page
Posted: May 22, 2022 at 14:18 Quote
NinjaTheDude wrote:
who has thrown some 203 rotors on your trance? how do you like them?

I do front and rear. They do the job (paired with Zee brakes).

Posted: Jul 17, 2022 at 3:10 Quote
Hi there!

I`m new to forum. Dmitriy from Kazakhstan)
Have my old/new Giant Trance 2 Advanced 2015 MY.

Bought new on 2020 - later replaced frame by warranty (small cracks over shifter "brick")
Current upgrades:
Helix TR29 Rims
DHR 2.4 front
Minion SS 2.4 rear
OneUp v2 Dropper post 180mm
Short stem 35mm
Brakes 203 mm rotor for front and 180mm for rear.

And photo )

Posted: Jul 17, 2022 at 9:51 Quote
So my new planned upgrade is Fork

Factory RS Sector RL 140 is actually not so bad on smooth trails and small bumps.
But really uncomfortable on long rough descents and some DH sections.

Reading some reviews and this forum get some base information:
1. Steerer tube (Overdrive) is ok - suitable for all 1.5" tapered forks
2. For boosted 110 mm axle need spacers - for axle and brake rotor
3. Fork selection
RS ZEB Select 160 mm - average price, good perfomance, average weight 2.3 kg
Marzocchi Bomber Z2 150 mm - average price, good perfomance, average weight 2.2 kg
RS Domain RC 160 mm - low price, good perfomance, high weight 2.6 kg
Marzocchi Bomber Z1 150 mm - higher price, good perfomance, average weight 2.3 kg

What thoughts about this forks, maybe some recomendations for Trance?

Posted: Jul 18, 2022 at 11:38 Quote
DmitriyMs wrote:
So my new planned upgrade is Fork

Factory RS Sector RL 140 is actually not so bad on smooth trails and small bumps.
But really uncomfortable on long rough descents and some DH sections.

Reading some reviews and this forum get some base information:
1. Steerer tube (Overdrive) is ok - suitable for all 1.5" tapered forks
2. For boosted 110 mm axle need spacers - for axle and brake rotor
3. Fork selection
RS ZEB Select 160 mm - average price, good perfomance, average weight 2.3 kg
Marzocchi Bomber Z2 150 mm - average price, good perfomance, average weight 2.2 kg
RS Domain RC 160 mm - low price, good perfomance, high weight 2.6 kg
Marzocchi Bomber Z1 150 mm - higher price, good perfomance, average weight 2.3 kg

What thoughts about this forks, maybe some recomendations for Trance?
also look at Manitou Mezzer Pro - 140-180mm and 2000g, high performance with high-ish price
https://hayesbicycle.com/collections/forks/products/mezzer-1?variant=32139567923245

Posted: Jul 19, 2022 at 10:49 Quote
brianl wrote:
also look at Manitou Mezzer Pro - 140-180mm and 2000g, high performance with high-ish price
https://hayesbicycle.com/collections/forks/products/mezzer-1?variant=32139567923245

Yes also found Mezzer as very competitive in term of performance and price
Mezzer PRO - 600$ (pre set 180 mm, need +20$ for travel spacers)
ZEB Select - 526$
Marzocchi Bomber Z1 - 677$
Marzocchi Bomber Z2 - 510$
Domain RC to heavy for mixed rides (trails, XC, DH)

As I understand from reviews ZEB Select is stiff in some cases and need more agressive or heavy rider.
I`m 72 kg (160 lbs) and lighter and softer Mezzer looks best for me..

So ZEB Select or Mezzer PRO ?))
ZEB pros - price, cons - weight and some stiffness
Mezzer pros - weight, very good perfomance (close to ZEB ultimate and Z1), easy travel change, cons - higher price (+100$ with spacers).

Posted: Jul 19, 2022 at 11:56 Quote
DmitriyMs wrote:
brianl wrote:

Yes also found Mezzer as very competitive in term of performance and price
Mezzer PRO - 600$ (pre set 180 mm, need +20$ for travel spacers)
ZEB Select - 526$
Marzocchi Bomber Z1 - 677$
Marzocchi Bomber Z2 - 510$
Domain RC to heavy for mixed rides (trails, XC, DH)

As I understand from reviews ZEB Select is stiff in some cases and need more agressive or heavy rider.
I`m 72 kg (160 lbs) and lighter and softer Mezzer looks best for me..

Mezzer pros - weight, very good perfomance (close to ZEB ultimate and Z1), easy travel change, cons - higher price (+100$ with spacers).

The Mezzer should come with enough spacers to drop it down to 140 in the box. The Mezzer will also have more room to set it up well in the air spring and the damper. I've had mine on two very different frames and was able to have it feel balanced on each. First frame was a Trance with a float x. Current frame is an Esker Elkat with a Mara Pro. Would highly recommend the Mezzer over the Zeb.

Also where did you find a Mezzer Pro for $600?

Posted: Jul 20, 2022 at 6:41 Quote
DmitriyMs wrote:
brianl wrote:

I don't think you can go wrong either way. I'd probably get the ZEB only because I have a preference for Rock Shox (which tend to have damping tunes that are fairly light and plush... just like the Manitous). The ZEB will probably hold value better too.

Speaking of improvements, I don't know if this applies to your model frame, but on mine (2017), I increased the stroke of the shock from 52.5 to 55 mm for added travel (clipped off spacer... read descriptions several pages back). Also, my frame has an angleset that sets my head angle at 64 degrees (with a 160mm fork). Definitely feels like a modern bike.

Posted: Jul 20, 2022 at 7:01 Quote
Could you give me a link to the angle set you used? I can never figure out the one I need. I have a 2017 as well.

Posted: Jul 20, 2022 at 9:47 Quote
EvilBun wrote:
The Mezzer should come with enough spacers to drop it down to 140 in the box. The Mezzer will also have more room to set it up well in the air spring and the damper. I've had mine on two very different frames and was able to have it feel balanced on each. First frame was a Trance with a float x. Current frame is an Esker Elkat with a Mara Pro. Would highly recommend the Mezzer over the Zeb.

Also where did you find a Mezzer Pro for $600?

Thanks for recommendations!
Mezzer actually less than 500$ on CNC I just add more for delivery and custom clearance.
Price looks suspicious... They give 59% discount for only one available version.

Posted: Jul 20, 2022 at 9:58 Quote
microfiz wrote:
Speaking of improvements, I don't know if this applies to your model frame, but on mine (2017), I increased the stroke of the shock from 52.5 to 55 mm for added travel (clipped off spacer... read descriptions several pages back). Also, my frame has an angleset that sets my head angle at 64 degrees (with a 160mm fork). Definitely feels like a modern bike.
Thanks for hints will check with my shock. Angleset great option - maybe later also will add it.

Posted: Jul 20, 2022 at 13:07 Quote
Does anyone have an exploded diagram of a 2016 Trance suspension pivots & gubbins please? I recently noticed the flange of my main lower link nut isn't sitting as flush as it maybe should, but it isn't loose. I've not yet got it disassembled as the bolt didn't want to come out (it'll hopefully come out OK if I depressurise the shock), but that's going to be a job for tomorrow.

I'd just like an exploded diagram as maybe something isn't right, or maybe a bearing isn't fully pressed in. I've not had any bother with the suspension as such , it was last (only) serviced in late 2020 I think (it doesn't get used lots). My world wide web searching skills haven't yet found me what I'm looking for.

Thanks if anyone can provide/link to such a diagram. Cool

Edit: I've now found a 2013 one here:
https://www.emtbforums.com/community/threads/exploded-view-trance-rear-suspension.14484/
It isn't especially clear but will have to do unless anyone has a better one.

O+
Posted: Jul 20, 2022 at 19:08 Quote
If you are an aggressive rider and want best performance the Mezzer blows the zeb out of the water. Zeb needs a decent amount of money dropped into it to be on the same level. If you are just looking for something that will be "plush" and easy to service go with the Zeb. But if you really charge Mezzer is the way.

Posted: Jul 21, 2022 at 7:21 Quote
Adamrideshisbike wrote:
Could you give me a link to the angle set you used? I can never figure out the one I need. I have a 2017 as well.

Mine's a Works component. I've had experience with Cane creek and it's a hit or miss. With the Works Component, you will need to make sure you choose the right angleset, which is machined specific to the length of your head tube (and I don't remember the size anymore, but it is a fairly short stack). Triple measure this before ordering because if you get it wrong, the angleset might not work.

https://www.workscomponents.co.uk/20-degree--angle-headsets-15-c.asp

Posted: Jul 21, 2022 at 8:33 Quote
microfiz wrote:
Adamrideshisbike wrote:

Mine's a Works component. I've had experience with Cane creek and it's a hit or miss. With the Works Component, you will need to make sure you choose the right angleset, which is machined specific to the length of your head tube (and I don't remember the size anymore, but it is a fairly short stack). Triple measure this before ordering because if you get it wrong, the angleset might not work.

https://www.workscomponents.co.uk/20-degree--angle-headsets-15-c.asp

Thank you.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007503
Mobile Version of Website