Crowd-sourced hardtail frame design and manufacture

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Crowd-sourced hardtail frame design and manufacture
  • Previous Page
Posted: Oct 19, 2013 at 1:43 Quote
Hi Guys

So i just had this crazy idea- i dont know if it'll work, but i was keen to see if anyone wanted to get involved in a crowd sourced frame design that anyone could then order for themselves!

everyone could contribute and decide on the frame- DJ, street frame, trials frame, whatever; all aspects would be open to consideration- geometry, use, features, colours, BB type, graphics, name of the frame etc etc. its gotta be steel though!

i am a backyard builder that runs the brand Descendence- some of you would have seen me or my frames around. i have build all sorts of hardtails for all sorts of uses- from xc to DH and everything in between.

so get involved if you think its a cool idea! the more people contributing, the more momentum it'd create and could turn out some pretty cool results!

here's some of my newer frames-

descendence Bukkaneer all for one and one for all... all built up and ready for anything
candy red descendence Haze large size
stiffest frame iv ever made by a fair margin even without a welded seatstay bridge. 25mm 7005 T6 pivot axle flipchips truly enormous chainstays 46mm cdv6 steel downtube 1.5 headtube...this beast is made for war.
Descendence Oracle all kitted up and lookin pretty...thanks for the pics jamie
the lovemachine is complete at last www.descendence.com.au

Posted: Oct 19, 2013 at 1:53 Quote
Great idea! In my opinion, this may be an opportunity to step into the modern/BMX based geo street frame market. Doberman had quite a bit of popularity in their prime before they started to fall apart because of terrible customer service, and the main thing they had going for them was the fact that they were being hand built and customizable by the customer to a degree. I'm personally looking into a replacement for my 24" BMX spaced frame, but there aren't more than a handful of options at the moment.

Posted: Oct 19, 2013 at 2:22 Quote
THIS, is such an awesome idea !Beer

Posted: Oct 19, 2013 at 8:58 Quote
This is a cool idea because there are so many ways you can go with it. Seeing some more development in the modern street/park/DJ style frame would be cool. I would personally like to see a better all mountain HT with some modern design components, like tapered headtube, and maybe designed for internal routing of a dropper post(not that I use one). It's the small details that would make this project really come to life after initially deciding on geometry and desired handling characteristics.

Posted: Oct 19, 2013 at 10:54 Quote
Great idea, but I reckon you'll never agree on a single final solution.

I think your Love Machine is great. It was the inspiration for my SS full sus.

A super refined, lightweight version of that would be good.

Posted: Oct 19, 2013 at 18:25 Quote
phutphutend wrote:
Great idea, but I reckon you'll never agree on a single final solution.

I think your Love Machine is great. It was the inspiration for my SS full sus.

A super refined, lightweight version of that would be good.

I don't think there'd be much demand for something along the lines of that. There's plenty of concentric BB pivot frames on the market that cover all disciplines that would be suited for. For time/cost - potential profit, I genuinely feel like a tight geo street/park frame would be the way to go.

If you were willing to spend some time on R&D it would be great to see a steel DH frame that can keep up with modern race bikes. Weight and pivot design would be the toughest parts of that project though.

Posted: Oct 19, 2013 at 21:00 Quote
coznkos wrote:
This is a cool idea because there are so many ways you can go with it. Seeing some more development in the modern street/park/DJ style frame would be cool. I would personally like to see a better all mountain HT with some modern design components, like tapered headtube, and maybe designed for internal routing of a dropper post(not that I use one). It's the small details that would make this project really come to life after initially deciding on geometry and desired handling characteristics.

i like this idea myself...

Posted: Oct 20, 2013 at 15:54 Quote
First thing that came to mind for me was a 26" frame with bmx spaced dropouts. There are a few out there but they are either very expensive or have a strange sounding geo. It would appeal to the people who want to stay 26 but still be able to ride pegs and a free coaster.

Posted: Oct 20, 2013 at 16:31 Quote
harry-markham wrote:
First thing that came to mind for me was a 26" frame with bmx spaced dropouts. There are a few out there but they are either very expensive or have a strange sounding geo. It would appeal to the people who want to stay 26 but still be able to ride pegs and a free coaster.

Iv thought about that one myself, but the only thing that worries me is that it'd be quite hard for someone to kit up- i.e they have to make a custom wheelset with a bmx rear hub and a mtb rim. do many people actually do it?

Posted: Oct 20, 2013 at 16:58 Quote
this is great, im in!

Posted: Oct 20, 2013 at 17:02 Quote
prophet413 wrote:
Subbed......650B
650B DJ bike. Awww yeaaahhh.

Posted: Oct 20, 2013 at 18:43 Quote
madm3chanic wrote:
harry-markham wrote:

Iv thought about that one myself, but the only thing that worries me is that it'd be quite hard for someone to kit up- i.e they have to make a custom wheelset with a bmx rear hub and a mtb rim. do many people actually do it?

I made a frame that was BMX spaced, the only reason I did was because I had a hub and a rim lying around that would work. It's not hard, but you would be hard pressed to find a cheap, off the shelf wheelset that would fit your needs with bmx spacing.

Posted: Oct 20, 2013 at 20:50 Quote
I'd say the majority of street riders build their own wheels.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015659
Mobile Version of Website