Hope pro evo2 front hub. I am buying a 15mm thru axle stuffed with a 9mm solid axle for my DJ2's 9mm forks dropouts.

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Hope pro evo2 front hub. I am buying a 15mm thru axle stuffed with a 9mm solid axle for my DJ2's 9mm forks dropouts.
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 20, 2013 at 16:48 Quote
Anyone have any experience with this?
I am currently running a q/r Hope Pro Evo 2 front hub laced to a Nukeproof Rim and DT Swiss Champion spokes, and am familur with the $48 total it would cost from Chainreaction for the Hope Pro evo 2's $25 9mm Conversion Kit (plugs) and the $13 9mm Fire Eye chromoly nutted solid axle with trackstyle nuts/washers

heres the hope pro evo 2's 9mm and the 15mm plugs. $25 at chainreaction.
photo
photo

The Fire Eye Front 9mm Nutted Axle Kit 2012. $13 at Chainreaction.
photo

I just found this 15mm Thru Axle to 9mm Quick Release Wheel Adapter on Ebay for $21. The Fire Eye Front Nutted Axle would slide though it and fit into my Marzocchi DJ2's 9mm dropouts.
ebay link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251073168246&item=251073168246&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466
photo

a pic of the inside of my dropouts:
photo

the lateral thickness of the dropouts:
photo

a trackstyle nut with washer that fits my fork. Its about 23mm wide.
photo

a 9mm axle that fits in the dropouts. I have no doubt that the ebay 15mm hollow axle presents any incompatability issues like the fire eye solid 9mm axle lining up correctly:
photo

the nut in the dropouts holding the axle in:
photo

my current q/r Hope pro evo 2 plug:
photo

a pic of a marzocchi dj 1 w/ 20mm axle. Notice the clamp area of each fork leg is 43.5mm.
photo

My DJ2 clamp area is about 8.5mm. With the track style nut it is 20.5mm.
photo

Total cost for the Hope 15mm plugs, 15mm Ebay axle and the 9mm solid axle would be $69.
My front hub would be 15mm rather than my q/r or the 9mm option. That's a difference of 10mm compared to a 5mm q/r or 6mm when running the 15mm Ebay axle and 9mm bolt on axle compared to the Hope 9mm plug and 9mm Fire Eye axle. I hope the thickness will translate to very noticeable stiffness.

If the manufacturers engineered and produced the products correctly, there wont be any issues like my calipers not aligning correctly with my rotors. I run juicy 5's, 180mm alligator and alligator organic pads.

If there is anyone that's got the experience and vocabulary to address ( maybe someone with a degree in engineering ) wether the Hope pro 2 evo's 15mm plugs with the ebay 15mm thru axle with the fire eye 9mm nutted axle provides ANY amount of better performance than just me using Hopes 9mm plugs with the fire eye solid 9mm nutted axle in my forks 9mm dropouts.
What I am after is more "stiffness in the front end".
I ride a 2010 Jamis Parker with a 2010 Marzochhi DJ2 100mm travel in the front and a 2010 Fox Float R 100mm travel in the rear. My tires are Kenda K-Rads and I run them at 55psi in the front and 70psi in the rear. They are dual compound rubber.
I ride 98% of the time on Florida's very well maintained streets and paved bike paths. The tropical climates heavy rainfall forces the urban planners to make the streets corners to have "berm like" angles so the water drains to the sewers quickly.
I weigh 195lbs and sometimes throw my bike into a 2 wheel drift around corners. ( with my helmet on )

Posted: Oct 21, 2013 at 2:06 Quote
It might be that the Hub is too wide when converted to 15mm axle via the adapters? I know for definite that a 20mm converted Hope hub is too wide for 9mm drop out fork , not sure on the 15mm but its something to check out.

Posted: Oct 21, 2013 at 12:08 Quote
Heres another product from the seller on ebay. Its a 15mm axle that a 5mm q/r slides through and the 9mm ends of the 15mm axle slide into the 9mm forks dropouts.
I think its more of a 15mm hub and q/r fork solution and not a performance enhancer in the slightest sense.

photo

Posted: Oct 21, 2013 at 12:37 Quote
It would be the same cost to sell the fork, and buy the same model but with a 20mm axle.. no?
Less hasle, less things to break, less flex, and just less outdated 9mm technology.

Posted: Oct 21, 2013 at 15:20 Quote
Thanks for the replies!
I'm not going to get that ebay conversion.
Next season I'll buy a 20mm DJ1 or 4x.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.031465
Mobile Version of Website