URGENT!! Fluid leaking out of my rear shock

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
URGENT!! Fluid leaking out of my rear shock
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 21, 2013 at 7:13 Quote
bjhoppalong - Member
I have a fox float rpl and I bottomed out not very hard at all I just was lacking air pressure and now red fluid is coming out of the lock out/ pro peddle/ rebound switch thing- does it mean new shock or a fixable thing?

Posted: Oct 21, 2013 at 8:00 Quote
It means you have to rebuild or at least send the shock for service.

after the shock is opened, then you will know if it can be fixed or not.

My guess you just blowned the seal out. It can be fixed by replacing the seal.
but do not use the shock until it serviced, or it may get worse

Posted: Oct 21, 2013 at 23:04 Quote
If red fluid is leaking out of the pro pedal lever, then that is oil out of the damping piston. If left unchecked, then you will lose rebound damping, as there won't be enough oil left in the rebound circuit. The shock will need to go to a proper service center for a re-build. It is a lot more difficult to fix than the standard air can service.

Posted: Oct 22, 2013 at 0:58 Quote
if there is a problem with rebound needle rubber ring - so that is a work for authorized service. otherwise, the leakage can be foxed at home, just disassemble the air can and check seals, o-rings and oil. refilling shock with oil is not difficult, you don't even need special fox fluid, just use usual fork oil of needed viscosity.

PS. if you still have your shock on warranty, don't make anything with it and contact to the service

Posted: Oct 22, 2013 at 1:20 Quote
The description of the leak sounds more like the issue in this post - http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/fox-rp23-leaking-oil-behind-rebound-knob-660082.html
OP - is your shock leaking like in the pics?

Posted: Oct 22, 2013 at 6:30 Quote
Chuvak wrote:
refilling shock with oil is not difficult

Doing any service to the damping unit for Fox rear shocks (where the oil is) is in fact difficult. Not a DIY job. Original poster needs to send his shock to PUSH/Suspensionwerx for service.

Posted: Apr 1, 2021 at 7:10 Quote
This happened to me yesterday. A few heavy bottom-outs and my DPS Float started bubbling and leaking oil out around the knob & lever on top. Nowhere has stock for a replacement (thanks COVID / Brexit / Suez Canal!) and I can't get it fixed until May, so I'm thinking about putting a load of extra pressure in the shock to make up for the lack of damping so I can at least ride it until I can get it sorted / replaced.

Is this a terrible idea?

O+
Posted: Apr 1, 2021 at 7:17 Quote
Dirtlabs can rebuild it for you or send to AvalancheDownhillRacing for a custom build. My buddy ran it like that but I don't recommend as you may do permanent damage. I estimate $250 for repair or buy used for $100.

Posted: Apr 1, 2021 at 7:27 Quote
I've got a guy who can repair it locally for £100, but like most bike services around at the moment, he's got quite a long waiting list.

I've ordered a new shock to fit next week (if I get lucky with delivery timing), but I'm keen to ride this weekend, so was hoping my dangerously over-inflated, oil-spewing shock will make it through a couple of rides it I take it sort of easy.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009979
Mobile Version of Website