Airtraveling with my bike

PB Forum :: Downhill
Airtraveling with my bike
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 4, 2013 at 7:30 Quote
Hi folks

I'll travel a lot next year and I'm scared that I'll arrive at the destination or with a broken bike or with no bike (lost or to be sent). I bought a Evoc travel bag, it seems pretty suitable for airtravelling. However, I'm looking for your advice. Which airport should be avoided? I'm trying to take direct flights. However, flying to UK goes by Heathrow most of the times. Frown

Cheers

Chris

Posted: Nov 4, 2013 at 15:38 Quote
It's pretty much like any other checked luggage. I can't speak about packaging; the one time I flew with a bike was when I bought my YT and it already came in a box and packed- all I did was let out the air in the tyres.

For peace of mind, I'd try to minimse connections and allow enough layover time for the bike to make its way to the connecting flight. My international flight was simply from Stockholm to Charlotte NC (USA) with a 2h layover in ORD; I was concerned about the time it'd take to go thru customs in Chicago but it turned out alright.

Arrive extra early for your flight, as usually there's a couple extra steps and forms you have to fill out before going to a designated special dropoff place for oversized luggage.

Posted: Nov 6, 2013 at 15:20 Quote
franxxy wrote:
Hi folks

I'll travel a lot next year and I'm scared that I'll arrive at the destination or with a broken bike or with no bike (lost or to be sent). I bought a Evoc travel bag, it seems pretty suitable for airtravelling. However, I'm looking for your advice. Which airport should be avoided? I'm trying to take direct flights. However, flying to UK goes by Heathrow most of the times. Frown

Cheers

Chris

I would add some insulation pipe to the forks and frame.
Just cut to length and then cut along the length. After that add to fork\frame and use some light low sticky paper tape.

Remove the frame hanger and rear derailleur. They are easy to break with the careful baggage handlers.

It doesn't hurt to add stickers that say "handle with care" to the case.

A lot of airlines use Limited Release Tag on bikes. This basically means if you bike gets broken. Your have no claim for repairs. Also lost items only have a max of £800 in all cases. Basically get the bike covered for travel.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008640
Mobile Version of Website