Play at hub on Lyric Rc2DH

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Play at hub on Lyric Rc2DH
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Nov 9, 2013 at 10:13 Quote
I have a 2013 RS Lyric RC2DH mated to a King ISO 20mm hub. When I pull the front brake I can feel a knocking sound coming from the front end which is also noticeable when riding. Loose headset right? That's what I thought, but the knocking can only be felt when rocking the bike and pinching the axle on the disc brake side. I assumed it was play in the hub but the hub is adjusted correctly with non play. The only thing I can think of is that the maxle isn't tightening down properly on the hub. It is twisted snug, then the QR is clamped down with moderate force. The axle also doesn't appear to have any wear.

Any suggestions on something else I can do to eliminate the play?

BL

Posted: Nov 11, 2013 at 1:40 Quote
bikelust wrote:
I have a 2013 RS Lyric RC2DH mated to a King ISO 20mm hub. When I pull the front brake I can feel a knocking sound coming from the front end which is also noticeable when riding. Loose headset right? That's what I thought, but the knocking can only be felt when rocking the bike and pinching the axle on the disc brake side. I assumed it was play in the hub but the hub is adjusted correctly with non play. The only thing I can think of is that the maxle isn't tightening down properly on the hub. It is twisted snug, then the QR is clamped down with moderate force. The axle also doesn't appear to have any wear.

Any suggestions on something else I can do to eliminate the play?

BL

Check to make sure the play isn't coming from the forks themselves. Put your finger in between the stanchions and the lowers, rock it backwards and forwards and see if the play comes from there. Make sure your brake caliper is on tight and the pads aren't moving inside it. What brakes are you using?

Posted: Nov 15, 2013 at 15:10 Quote
I've checked all the other usual spots. Upper headset cup, lower headset cup, stanchion/lower interface. The only place I can feel the knocking is when I pinch the 20mm sleeve on the king hub, between the disc and the fork lower. Running XT brakes, ice-tec 203mm rotor. Caliper and rotor are torqued to spec and have no movement.

You can definitely feel the movement at the hub/maxle interface on the disc side. The only thing I can think of is to swap the front hub out to another bike and by process of elimination figure out if it's the maxle or the hub axle. One last thing of note, when I pull the front brake and rock the hub perpendicular to the fork I can also feel the knocking. It's definitely not the fork bushing/stanchion interface.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.005007
Mobile Version of Website