Calling Banshee Amp owners plz HELP

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Calling Banshee Amp owners plz HELP
  • Previous Page
Posted: Nov 14, 2013 at 15:03 Quote
Ever since getting back into dirt jumping and I wanted a AMP frame but the cost of a custom build was just out of of the question.. Now I'm in the market to upgrade my frame and I want nothing else except that dame Banshee Amp frame!!!

QUESTION is, what size would you guys that own an AMP frame recommend... I'm only 5 7' or 173cm tall, my current ride is a NS HOLY 1 and while it feels Good I'm. Keen to know your thoughts on sizing.. As the Australian distributor suggests a regular while I've be reading reviews and looking at forums most guys seem to be buying the Long.. ? Why? Is the regular too short and cramped up or what....

Your help is much appreciated considering I need to place my order today or tomorrow to be able to have it in my hands within the next few weeks otherwise it won't be until Feb as per distro ordering etc...

PLEASE HELP

Also anyone running rigids on these at all??

Posted: Nov 14, 2013 at 15:38 Quote
I have an AMP in the long size. The reason I bought the long was for pedal clearance for bar spins as well as more stability at speed. I am exactly the same height as you and don't find it to long. I run a short 40 mm stem. In comparison to my streetsweeper that has a slightly shorter top tube I do notice a little more effort has to go into pulling it into a manual.
As far as going ridged with the aluminum frame that's a pretty poor idea. I run a manitou circus and they are cheep and feel awesome. If you're dead set on running a ridged fork I would get a cromo frame just my 2 cents

Posted: Nov 14, 2013 at 16:20 Quote
mmmm interesting, so maybe a long might be the go then.. Thank you for your feed back its really appreciated aye

As for the rigid forks, back in the day (shiit I now sound old lol) use to Race and dirt jump on a aluminium park-pre bmx frame, never had a single issue running rigid forks with alum. But I've notice alot of guys hate riding rigids and would prefer suspension these days, guessing as it's just softer and plush landings but if ur. Smooth...? I like the **no set** and just forget Moto, allows u to ride with minimal maintenance... Might have to create a Who running rigids and or suspension thread aye......

Posted: Nov 15, 2013 at 14:06 Quote
I have been on my Amp for one season now and I love it!!!! I have the long size, when I was doing the math to see what size I wanted to go with i noticed that the top tube length was a tad longer then most regular djs, however the regular amp is a tad shorter them most mediums. The rise of the top tube is higher so that is why the top tube is longer. Anymore its all about rise over run, before all we got was a seat stay dimension and a top tube dimension. Im 5'8 and and feel perfect on the long. I am also runing 100m circus fork and spank 2in riser bars.

Posted: Nov 17, 2013 at 14:33 Quote
That was my next question, I've come from a Bmx background never really got into a suspension fork at all, been reading a lot about them all, I'm under the impression that mozocchi was good? What about now are there dj1's any good?? Or as the Australian distributor mentioned most of his team are riding the Manitou Circus expert fork.. I mean I still prefer rigids over anything, my wrists don't hurt now and I'm like 32yo, but kinda out of the loop when it comes to suspension forks for this new frame, I'm more than willing to give it a go but help in choosing the right fork would also be very helpful...

Oh and the distro has both Reg. and Long coming into stock so I've checked my current frame it's got 22.6tt while the reg. Amp is 22.8 so thinking that the reg should be fine...

Posted: Nov 17, 2013 at 15:36 Quote
I have a dj1 and a circus comp. Do your self and your wallet a favor and just get a circus. Its defiantly the best fork for your money. Especially if your just getting your foot in the suspension fork market. The circus has preload, lockout and rebound adjust. While the dj1 just has air preload and rebound. As far as weight goes the circus expert is a good 3/4 of a pound lighter then the dj1. The only thing you have to watch out for is cracking the lower pinch bolts by over torquing.

Posted: Nov 18, 2013 at 14:24 Quote
I will agree with chancos, i had the DJ1 which is a great fork and def one of the most burly but the circus has better adjustments and is IMO way lighter at least compared to my 08 DJ1. My Amp is in 25lb area with a circus. If you dont want to spend the money on a new one just go used, i had pretty good luck with a dj1 used.

photo

Posted: Nov 18, 2013 at 20:48 Quote
So circus seems to be the preferred choice, nice adjustments, strong but also light enough... So since the frames now been ordered.. Discussion on forks.. What about or why not a : 831 or even X-Fusion velvet.... Is there others that I should be looking at before just going the circus route gents??? I mean it's a lot of cash to lay down, I just want the best for this build options are good...

Oh also, with rigid it's all good to run smaller axles but I've notice a lot of you are going the 20mm thru with suspension forks... Does it make that much of a difference, guessing strength wise that's why you do it yea?

Posted: Nov 18, 2013 at 21:48 Quote
I cant tell you much about the velvet as I have never ridden on one. I have ridden a 831 and if feels nice and it looks even better. It does have a 15mm axle in comparison to a 20mm. People say that the 20mm axle is stiffer, but I havent had enough time on a 15mm to truly make a comparison. I have however spent enough time on 9mm quick release front axles to say that they feel like noodles in comparison to 20mm. All that said though, the 831 is almost twice the price of a circus comp and I can honestly say that I don't think that it is twice the fork.

Posted: Nov 19, 2013 at 16:30 Quote
Random as , but any of you know of anyone that's running rigids on a AMP at all?. ... At all ........ As I'm thinking I might be the first to do so..... Call me CRAZY lmfao

Posted: Nov 21, 2013 at 1:58 Quote
CrazyM wrote:
Random as , but any of you know of anyone that's running rigids on a AMP at all?. ... At all ........ As I'm thinking I might be the first to do so..... Call me CRAZY lmfao

Your frame will snap extra fast.

Posted: Nov 21, 2013 at 8:16 Quote
Corphies wrote:
CrazyM wrote:

Nice!! It will just snap aye... Any justification there buddy.... This happened to you or your going with what people say...?Not gonna flame on here and will not get into that either but some experience with with alum frame and rigids would be good.. What's happen to state that..I mean there's a lot of people running rigids on alum frames, mostly within the Bmx community.

FL
Posted: Nov 21, 2013 at 8:22 Quote
CrazyM wrote:
Corphies wrote:
CrazyM wrote:

Nice!! It will just snap aye... Any justification there buddy.... This happened to you or your going with what people say...?Not gonna flame on here and will not get into that either but some experience with with alum frame and rigids would be good.. What's happen to state that..I mean there's a lot of people running rigids on alum frames, mostly within the Bmx community.
Amp's don't have the best reputation in terms of snapping, they don't recommend rigids.

Posted: Nov 21, 2013 at 10:15 Quote
CrazyM wrote:
Corphies wrote:
CrazyM wrote:

Aluminum with rigid = bad idea..
The difference is you're not a 50lb ten year old racing bmx anymore, maybe little kids can get away with rigids on aluminum bmx bikes but it's just not a good idea with a dirt jump frame.
aluminum dirt jump frames aren't meant to take that much pressure and they also don't bend like chromo, so even if it doesn't snap right away you will slowly crack and break your frame much faster than you would with a suspension fork. It may not break right away but eventually it will and much faster than a chromo frame with rigids
EDIT: And no this didnt happen to me as i have a chromo frame but its common bike sense bruh.

Posted: Nov 24, 2013 at 19:17 Quote
Corphies wrote:
CrazyM wrote:
Corphies wrote:

Aluminum with rigid = bad idea..
The difference is you're not a 50lb ten year old racing bmx anymore, maybe little kids can get away with rigids on aluminum bmx bikes but it's just not a good idea with a dirt jump frame.
aluminum dirt jump frames aren't meant to take that much pressure and they also don't bend like chromo, so even if it doesn't snap right away you will slowly crack and break your frame much faster than you would with a suspension fork. It may not break right away but eventually it will and much faster than a chromo frame with rigids
EDIT: And no this didnt happen to me as i have a chromo frame but its common bike sense bruh.

Might be common bike sense for the new skoolers bra, but ,You do know that mountainbikes originally started with rigid forks.. There's more balance, less Maintence , makes you a smoother riders too going rigid. In any case it does come down to personal preference, being that I'm old skool I'll go with a old setup and stay turned to see if I either crack or break this bitching of a frame, I'll put it thru hell if it stands up to the test ...or not ... either way let's see how good these frame really are aye hahaha

Should be a few more weeks until it arrives, keep in touch boi'z as I no doubt will be

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017093
Mobile Version of Website