Evil Owners Club

PB Forum :: Other
Evil Owners Club
Posted: Oct 17, 2017 at 12:33 Quote
Hi all,

Getting ready to sell my YT Capra and move to a Wreckoning. Have a couple questions regarding suspension.

I am wondering if the slightly higher cost of Fox's new 36 fork is worth it.

Also, I have a Monarch Plus Debonair on my Capra and am ambivalent about it. Suggestions on a shock upgrade (not the 11.6).

Riding style:
I am an aggressive rider and I tend to just hop over or plow straight through obstacles instead of navigating around them. Looking for suspension that is really supportive when I put the hammer down, but will be forgiving when I mess up.

I live in the south Bay Area, so my main haunts are Demo, Wilder, UCSC, and Santa Teresa.
Cheers!

Posted: Oct 17, 2017 at 12:43 Quote
zachinblack wrote:
Hi all,

Getting ready to sell my YT Capra and move to a Wreckoning. Have a couple questions regarding suspension.

Also, I have a Monarch Plus Debonair on my Capra and am ambivalent about it. Suggestions on a shock upgrade (not the 11.6).

Riding style:
I am an aggressive rider and I tend to just hop over or plow straight through obstacles instead of navigating around them. Looking for suspension that is really supportive when I put the hammer down, but will be forgiving when I mess up.

I live in the south Bay Area, so my main haunts are Demo, Wilder, UCSC, and Santa Teresa.
Cheers!
I have not ridden the new evol air spring on the trail yet, but around the parking lot it seems like you could have better small bump, as well as good midstroke support. I'd say its worth it.

Posted: Oct 17, 2017 at 12:47 Quote
I saw earlier on another forum some guy here in UK with a tuned 18 MY 36 cost hime £1500!!!

Says jt’s worth it in a way but that it should come as standard a tuned 36.

Posted: Oct 17, 2017 at 16:40 Quote
I’m not sure if you work on your own bikes but the fact that I can call fox, speak with a tech and order parts is worth the extra cost to me. I can’t stand not being able to contact rockshox.

I have some float x2 settings if that makes any difference.

Posted: Oct 18, 2017 at 12:04 Quote
Dvo topaz all the way!

Posted: Nov 1, 2017 at 0:34 Quote
zachinblack wrote:
Hi all,

Riding style:

Cheers!

I've got the 2018 36 (Evol) on my Insurgent and it's fantastic. I came from a Capra with the Bos suspension and the 36 is much better than the Deville for me. It has great high speed chatter smoothing and ramp up on big hits. The midstroke seems firm compared to my Deville, but it keeps tracking the ground perfectly.

I've got the Monarch Plus RC3 and it works fine. I considered getting a Push 11.6, but I can't justify it, the Monarch runs great. Even at 150mm the rear feels more predictable, smoother, and no less capable than my 170 Bos Kirk equipped Capra.

On the whole I'm enjoying riding a lot more on my evil, which is the main thing!

Posted: Nov 1, 2017 at 1:16 Quote
kit-nz wrote:
zachinblack wrote:
Hi all,

Riding style:

Cheers!
give a Float X2 or a DHX2 a look. pretty much 90% of the push shock for 40% of the price. you can find the Float x2 for under $400 if you look hard, and a DHX2 for under $500

I've got the 2018 36 (Evol) on my Insurgent and it's fantastic. I came from a Capra with the Bos suspension and the 36 is much better than the Deville for me. It has great high speed chatter smoothing and ramp up on big hits. The midstroke seems firm compared to my Deville, but it keeps tracking the ground perfectly.

I've got the Monarch Plus RC3 and it works fine. I considered getting a Push 11.6, but I can't justify it, the Monarch runs great. Even at 150mm the rear feels more predictable, smoother, and no less capable than my 170 Bos Kirk equipped Capra.

On the whole I'm enjoying riding a lot more on my evil, which is the main thing!
give a Float X2 or a DHX2 a look. pretty much 90% of the push shock for 40% of the price. you can find the Float x2 for under $400 if you look hard, and a DHX2 for under $500. and both will completely annihilate the monach.

Posted: Nov 1, 2017 at 2:57 Quote
Update on my Murder Black Insurgent: new fork, wheelset/tires and 12sp transmission upgrade.

Full PUSH Evil Insurgent

https://www.pinkbike.com/u/nunomelo77/album/Evil-Insurgent/
http://www.vitalmtb.com/community/Nuno-Melo,7302/setup,35533

PUSH Elevensix rear shock
Fox PUSH 36 Factory FiT4 fork w/ PUSH ACS3 Coil conversion kit
Easton Haven 35 50mm/750mm carbon | DMR Deathgrip soft slim combo
Magura MT Trail Carbon 203/183 mm rotors
SRAM XX1 Eagle black upgrade kit | XX1 GXP 175mm cranks | SRAM Eagle Oval 34T
Chris King ThreadFit 24 BB
E13 LG1+1 Lower Chainguide
HT Components T1 Titanium pedals
Chris King ISO Disc Hubs | DT Swiss Competition DB Black | Easton Arc 30
Continental Der Baron Projekt 2.4 BlackChili Protection APEX tires
Specialized Phenom Pro saddle
Thomson Elite Covert Dropper 125mm w/ Spec. Command Post lever

31 lb | 4.9 oz | 14200 g

Posted: Nov 1, 2017 at 5:01 Quote
nunomelo77 wrote:
Update on my Murder Black Insurgent: new fork, wheelset/tires and 12sp transmission upgrade.

Full PUSH Evil Insurgent

https://www.pinkbike.com/u/nunomelo77/album/Evil-Insurgent/
http://www.vitalmtb.com/community/Nuno-Melo,7302/setup,35533

PUSH Elevensix rear shock
Fox PUSH 36 Factory FiT4 fork w/ PUSH ACS3 Coil conversion kit
Easton Haven 35 50mm/750mm carbon | DMR Deathgrip soft slim combo
Magura MT Trail Carbon 203/183 mm rotors
SRAM XX1 Eagle black upgrade kit | XX1 GXP 175mm cranks | SRAM Eagle Oval 34T
Chris King ThreadFit 24 BB
E13 LG1+1 Lower Chainguide
HT Components T1 Titanium pedals
Chris King ISO Disc Hubs | DT Swiss Competition DB Black | Easton Arc 30
Continental Der Baron Projekt 2.4 BlackChili Protection APEX tires
Specialized Phenom Pro saddle
Thomson Elite Covert Dropper 125mm w/ Spec. Command Post lever

31 lb | 4.9 oz | 14200 g

My wallet is hurting just reading that spec. Nice one mate #bleedblackdieevil

Posted: Nov 1, 2017 at 5:06 Quote
Ugh, that thing has me drooling on my laptop.

Posted: Nov 1, 2017 at 6:44 Quote
Niko182 wrote:
give a Float X2 or a DHX2 a look. pretty much 90% of the push shock for 40% of the price. you can find the Float x2 for under $400 if you look hard, and a DHX2 for under $500. and both will completely annihilate the monach.

Have you ridden a Push 11/6 shock? The Fox Float X2 isn't even close to an 11/6 shock.
I own both shocks and can definitively say the 11/6 shock is levels above the Fox X2. I'm not bashing the Fox shock, it's pretty damn good actually. Light, plush, very tunable, and looks killer. Weight and price might be the only advantages over the 11/6 shock.

The Push 11/6 has two independent shock settings that make your bike feel like two different bikes. It's not a lockout, it's not a climb switch, nor is it a pedal assist. It's two completely separate, independent settings from one another. On my insurgent, the AM Trail mode allows me to pedal all day, up and down. In the DH setting, it transforms the bike into a mini dh rig, smoothing out the trail to perfection. It's really amazing how different the bike feels in each setting.

Now if you said that the Fox shock is 40%, or even 50% of the 11/6 shock, I would agree with you. But 90% is not even close. Sorry, it just isn't. The Push is worth every penny, and again, the Fox Float X2 is a great shock, it just ain't even close. Also Push will revalve and reset your shock (for a minimal charge) to fit your next frame should you decide to change it. The hype is real.

Posted: Nov 1, 2017 at 11:25 Quote
fredro wrote:
Niko182 wrote:

Have you ridden a Push 11/6 shock? The Fox Float X2 isn't even close to an 11/6 shock.
I own both shocks and can definitively say the 11/6 shock is levels above the Fox X2. I'm not bashing the Fox shock, it's pretty damn good actually. Light, plush, very tunable, and looks killer. Weight and price might be the only advantages over the 11/6 shock.

The Push 11/6 has two independent shock settings that make your bike feel like two different bikes. It's not a lockout, it's not a climb switch, nor is it a pedal assist. It's two completely separate, independent settings from one another. On my insurgent, the AM Trail mode allows me to pedal all day, up and down. In the DH setting, it transforms the bike into a mini dh rig, smoothing out the trail to perfection. It's really amazing how different the bike feels in each setting.

Now if you said that the Fox shock is 40%, or even 50% of the 11/6 shock, I would agree with you. But 90% is not even close. Sorry, it just isn't. The Push is worth every penny, and again, the Fox Float X2 is a great shock, it just ain't even close. Also Push will revalve and reset your shock (for a minimal charge) to fit your next frame should you decide to change it. The hype is real.

*Sticks fingers in ears* ME AND MY WALLET ARE NOT LISTENING LA LA LA LAAAA.

But seriously, thanks for the thoughts. Good to get feedback from someone who rides both shocks. I just need a black 11/6 to get me over the edge Smile

Posted: Nov 1, 2017 at 11:43 Quote
I was hesitant also at first about the Push shock because of the hefty price tag, but in this case you really get what you pay for. I needed my Insurgent to be a part time trail bike, as well as a part time park bike. The 11/6 makes this possible. Not saying other shocks are garbage, or not worth buying. It's just after riding the 11/6, all other shocks feel less impressive. I wish Push made the 11/6 for my other bikes, I would jump all over them. Coil all the things...!!!

2 cents

PS> New 11/6 comes with black shaft. hehehe lol

Posted: Nov 1, 2017 at 12:03 Quote
kit-nz wrote:
fredro wrote:
Niko182 wrote:

But seriously, thanks for the thoughts. Good to get feedback from someone who rides both shocks. I just need a black 11/6 to get me over the edge Smile
I will take my statement bike then. But i still cant justify paying 1200 bucks for a shock.

Posted: Nov 1, 2017 at 13:19 Quote
Niko182 wrote:
kit-nz wrote:
fredro wrote:

I will take my statement bike then. But i still cant justify paying 1200 bucks for a shock.

Your position is 100% valid! Particularly for me given that I'm unlikely to be riding and pushing the limits of the bike or suspension. The Monarch is working perfect for me currently so I definitely can't justify getting either new shock at this point. Unless I get a good tax return at some point...

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012417
Mobile Version of Website