Evil Owners Club

PB Forum :: Other
Evil Owners Club
Posted: Feb 16, 2018 at 5:38 Quote
philstone wrote:
mangler wrote:
I just picked up my insurgent and I’m wondering how much climbing is affected by slamming the bike in x-low, I live on Vancouver Island and tend to spend most of my time on steep rocky trails so the x-low appeals to me in that sense I just don’t want to struggle on the climbs.

Matt

I've just put my Insurgent into x-low and went out yesterday - I did notice how much harder it was on steeper climbs - on non tech climbs I noticed some back pain which I don't usually get.. The tech climbs it was just harder to keep the front wheel weight down. Going to give it a few more rides and see how it goes.

Good to know, thanks

Posted: Feb 16, 2018 at 6:22 Quote
Sp1der wrote:
150 it is so, with a low profile saddle I guess.

I have a 160 bikeyoke with a 32 inseam and it will fit flush in the seat tube, barely. For me, 170 wouldn't go low enough to keep me at me pedaling height when extended.

Posted: Feb 16, 2018 at 6:52 Quote
philstone wrote:
mangler wrote:
I just picked up my insurgent and I’m wondering how much climbing is affected by slamming the bike in x-low, I live on Vancouver Island and tend to spend most of my time on steep rocky trails so the x-low appeals to me in that sense I just don’t want to struggle on the climbs.

Matt

I've just put my Insurgent into x-low and went out yesterday - I did notice how much harder it was on steeper climbs - on non tech climbs I noticed some back pain which I don't usually get.. The tech climbs it was just harder to keep the front wheel weight down. Going to give it a few more rides and see how it goes.

This is why i don't understant fashion to make enduro bike slacker and slacker.
So slack is good for bikepark bike, not for enduro ride.

Posted: Feb 16, 2018 at 7:13 Quote
jergus wrote:
philstone wrote:
mangler wrote:

Matt

Seems like they’ve hit a breaking point this year and many companies are attempting things other then making a bike slacker to force current models to become obsolescent. Take a look a transition’s SDG, is it really any better... maybe, but chances are it’s not noticeable to the average joe. Another thing they seem to think is necessary is a 157 rear end on a trail bike, I mean who in there right mind needs 157?!

Posted: Feb 16, 2018 at 9:56 Quote
mangler wrote:
jergus wrote:
philstone wrote:

Seems like they’ve hit a breaking point this year and many companies are attempting things other then making a bike slacker to force current models to become obsolescent. Take a look a transition’s SDG, is it really any better... maybe, but chances are it’s not noticeable to the average joe. Another thing they seem to think is necessary is a 157 rear end on a trail bike, I mean who in there right mind needs 157?!

Dude, I just got the new Patrol last week and I was blown away by it. Did 3 shuttles on the DH course just to work out the kinks, honestly thought I was on my Canyon Sender, it was mental. Then pedalled back up, more to make sure it would actually go up and I didn’t now own two DH bikes. It climbed beautifully. I was amazed. It climbed better then my 2014 Norco Carbon and went down better as well. I’ve been riding/racing DH for almost 20 years now so I’m not sure if I’m in the average joe class or not but I definitely noticed the changes in this case. I think bikes are much easier to ride now than when I started. Far more stable, far more reliable and the most important thing, for me, Faster!

Posted: Feb 16, 2018 at 11:31 Quote
aminal wrote:
mangler wrote:
jergus wrote:

Dude, I just got the new Patrol last week and I was blown away by it. Did 3 shuttles on the DH course just to work out the kinks, honestly thought I was on my Canyon Sender, it was mental. Then pedalled back up, more to make sure it would actually go up and I didn’t now own two DH bikes. It climbed beautifully. I was amazed. It climbed better then my 2014 Norco Carbon and went down better as well. I’ve been riding/racing DH for almost 20 years now so I’m not sure if I’m in the average joe class or not but I definitely noticed the changes in this case. I think bikes are much easier to ride now than when I started. Far more stable, far more reliable and the most important thing, for me, Faster!

I defiantly agree that bikes now are far better then the bikes of 10 years ago, I used to race a first gen BB7 and an '02 DHS Mono and i'd say my 2016 giant reign was more capable then both. That aside the incremental changes that manufactures have implemented in the last 5 years are becoming less substantial and are often frustrating to most people due to ever changing standards (sram DUB anyone). The new insurgent thats coming out in a month or so (the insurgent SB) is a boost rear end and it comes with a water bottle holder, all i can gather from that is evil has decided their bike hits the mark in so many spots that major change is unnecessary. I think the industry has gotten to a point where bikes are so good that to generate sales they need to "improve" some part of the bike and create a new standard.

Posted: Feb 17, 2018 at 19:14 Quote
For the insurgent..other than 11-6(no budget yet) any other coil alternatives? Looking at cc db coil and a valt spring

Thanks!

Posted: Feb 17, 2018 at 19:38 Quote
First ride on the new bike

Took her for her inaugural ride today

Posted: Feb 18, 2018 at 0:22 Quote
[Quote="mangler"]
aminal wrote:
mangler wrote:

Man, You sound like typical DH rider which bought enduro bike for bikeparks.
I prefer trail-enduro riding i european steep and narrow trails.
Of course, bike now are much better than 10 years ago, but now bikes going to be too slack and long to make fun on narrow trails.
Yes, they are fastes on "bike ready" trails, but this is not only type trails.
Even Evil Following - Iwant buy in future but I'm not sure if I prefer MB. - I have 180cm and MB Large would be too long for me () now i see on Evil website that they still offer Following V1 Big Grin

Posted: Feb 18, 2018 at 5:03 Quote
agreed, jergus. v1 following large has same wheelbase as my specialized size lrg sx/4x. perfect for getting in and out of fun trouble.

Posted: Feb 18, 2018 at 7:11 Quote
[Quote="jergus"]
mangler wrote:
aminal wrote:

Man, You sound like typical DH rider which bought enduro bike for bikeparks.
I prefer trail-enduro riding i european steep and narrow trails.
Of course, bike now are much better than 10 years ago, but now bikes going to be too slack and long to make fun on narrow trails.
Yes, they are fastes on "bike ready" trails, but this is not only type trails.
Even Evil Following - Iwant buy in future but I'm not sure if I prefer MB. - I have 180cm and MB Large would be too long for me () now i see on Evil website that they still offer Following V1 Big Grin

You’re not far off the mark, I used to race quite a bit of DH. Last year I ditched the DH bike and started racing Enduro, it was a pretty sweet swap but because of racing I am and will continue to lean towards a slacker bike. If I have the money to own a few bikes I’d probably own a calling, insurgent and a commancial DH 4.2 but money dictates I only get one so I picked the most middle of the road bike I can afford for my style of riding.

Posted: Feb 18, 2018 at 11:43 Quote
Took a weekend trip out here to Joshua Tree... managed to find a super funky small set of trails. The Wreckoning was total overkill but still plenty fun on the techy stuff. I'm really amazed at how well it climbs and handles trials type moves for a 160mm bike

Posted: Feb 20, 2018 at 8:56 Quote
Large Following v1, Gunmetal
Sram X1 Drivetrain
Rockshox Pike RC 130mm
Rockshox Monarch RT3, 5 volume bands at 280psi
Chromag BZA 35 bars, 25mm rise, 780mm
Chromag BZA 35 Stem 50mm
Chromag Trailmaster saddle
KS LEV integra150mm
Shimano Zee BR-M640 brakes
200mm Front, 180 rear
Stans no Tubes Flow MK3
Hope Pro 4 Hubs
Maxxis Minion DHF/R, 2.5 front, 2.3 rear

Posted: Feb 20, 2018 at 12:43 Quote
You have a really sorted following, I have a similar build but with a 140mm pike up front and eagle, will get a few pictures up!

Did you fire a few bands into the rear shock yourself? If so did it make a noticeable difference to the rear?

Posted: Feb 20, 2018 at 13:49 Quote
DH-jonny-FR30 wrote:
You have a really sorted following, I have a similar build but with a 140mm pike up front and eagle, will get a few pictures up!

Did you fire a few bands into the rear shock yourself? If so did it make a noticeable difference to the rear?

Yes, I did a seal kit on the Monarch as soon as I got it. Then added 3 bands, but still needed to much air to have it were I wanted it. 5 bands at 280psi seems to be working out well, very stiff.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017910
Mobile Version of Website