PB Forum :: Evil
Evil Owners Club
O+
Posted: May 16, 2018 at 10:58 Quote
fredro wrote:
Good memories there! ^^^^

Yes they were, but we need to make some more brother! Beer

Posted: May 16, 2018 at 12:16 Quote
Yes indeed! Knee feels better, I’ll be riding soon...

O+
Posted: May 16, 2018 at 15:58 Quote
dirtyrig wrote:
MetalheadWolfRider wrote:
Planning to get an Evil Undead, any of you know how does it ride? is it prone to breaking? i'm a 120lb 5'7 and planning to get a medium.

thanks

I've had my Undead since 2014 and its been the best DH bike I've ever owned. I'm about 200lbs and ride the bike hard with never a issue so far. BUT and this is a big BUT, you can not get parts for the bike directly from Evil anymore. So you will have to search for bearings from sources like www.realworldcycling.com Another problem is the derailleur hanger. I picked up a few for spares from evil before they stopped making them and luckily I've never broken one. I'm not sure where to buy the hangers from, but I bet there are sources out there that make aftermarket hangers. Also beware of the what year the Undead is, I would stick to anything manufactured around 2013/2014/2015 because the rear swingarm was manufactured without the metal insert which cause a bit of cracking around the mount, which was totally cosmetic anyways and nothing to worry about just a paint issue, but 2013/2014/2015 undead did not have this issue.

Here are a few images and videos of my undead:
2015 Evil Undead - Purchased from downcycles.com

Fredro in my view
  Fredro in my view

Blue Mtn PA
  Blue Mtn PA

Views: 269    Faves: 1    Comments: 9

Views: 252    Faves: 1    Comments: 0

I have the last year they made and it has the metal insert and it’s chipping so... but basically agree with everything else you’ve said. One of the best bikes I’ve owned. If you can get it for a good price and accept that it might break and be a wall hanger you’ll love it.

Posted: May 16, 2018 at 16:30 Quote
tpersons wrote:
dirtyrig wrote:
Planning to get an Evil Undead, any of you know how does it ride? is it prone to breaking? i'm a 120lb 5'7 and planning to get a medium.

thanks

I've had my Undead since 2014 and its been the best DH bike I've ever owned. I'm about 200lbs and ride the bike hard with never a issue so far. BUT and this is a big BUT, you can not get parts for the bike directly from Evil anymore. So you will have to search for bearings from sources like www.realworldcycling.com Another problem is the derailleur hanger. I picked up a few for spares from evil before they stopped making them and luckily I've never broken one. I'm not sure where to buy the hangers from, but I bet there are sources out there that make aftermarket hangers. Also beware of the what year the Undead is, I would stick to anything manufactured around 2013/2014/2015 because the rear swingarm was manufactured without the metal insert which cause a bit of cracking around the mount, which was totally cosmetic anyways and nothing to worry about just a paint issue, but 2013/2014/2015 undead did not have this issue.

Here are a few images and videos of my undead:
2015 Evil Undead - Purchased from downcycles.com

Fredro in my view
  Fredro in my view

Blue Mtn PA
  Blue Mtn PA

Views: 269    Faves: 1    Comments: 9

Views: 252    Faves: 1    Comments: 0

I have the last year they made and it has the metal insert and it’s chipping so... but basically agree with everything else you’ve said. One of the best bikes I’ve owned. If you can get it for a good price and accept that it might break and be a wall hanger you’ll love it.

Thank you for the info, and if it's cosmetic then nothing to worry about as you said. hoping to sell my frame soon.

Posted: May 17, 2018 at 0:51 Quote
I just bought a black insurgent and noticed that I can see carbon fiber on the top tube. To me it looks like (assuming the paint is part of the lay up process in the mold vs painting the frame afterwards) the paint did not adhere to some areas on the top tube, so the carbon fiber base can be seen. The rest of the frame is solid flat black (no carbon can be seen). I have been told that this is not the case and it is done on purpose.

Any owners of flat black insurgents out there that are willing to comment on your paint? Is it 100% solid flat black or mostly flat black with areas where carbon can be seen?

Posted: May 17, 2018 at 8:49 Quote
Loki1981 wrote:
I just bought a black insurgent and noticed that I can see carbon fiber on the top tube. To me it looks like (assuming the paint is part of the lay up process in the mold vs painting the frame afterwards) the paint did not adhere to some areas on the top tube, so the carbon fiber base can be seen. The rest of the frame is solid flat black (no carbon can be seen). I have been told that this is not the case and it is done on purpose.

Any owners of flat black insurgents out there that are willing to comment on your paint? Is it 100% solid flat black or mostly flat black with areas where carbon can be seen?

Yeps its just something that it has. Someone told me that its actually a clear coat over the carbon and that the frame is not actually painted black.

Posted: May 17, 2018 at 8:50 Quote
Here is my insurgent btw
Insurgent Final

Posted: May 17, 2018 at 20:30 Quote
I saw this deal on PB, https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2310691/

and as you may see, it has cracks that appear to be cosmetic, as i'm only 120lb i'm not too worried but i want to know the opinion of you guys anyways.

O+
Posted: May 17, 2018 at 21:33 Quote
Save your money and spend it on something else. You are buying a 5 year old, DH, carbon frame that has well documented issues. You cannot get replacement parts and have no warranty of any kind. Also, you currently ride a small frame, and now want to buy a large?

Posted: May 17, 2018 at 21:41 Quote
shoreboy1866 wrote:
Save your money and spend it on something else. You are buying a 5 year old, DH, carbon frame that has well documented issues. You cannot get replacement parts and have no warranty of any kind. Also, you currently ride a small frame, and now want to buy a large?

I am selling this one because i grew out of it. i read that these undead frames run smaller than most and i really like how it looks, but if you recommend just passing then i guess i should pass

Posted: May 18, 2018 at 1:34 Quote
Thank you for the feedback. Your bike is awesome. Granted I am partial to orange, but that is nicely spec'd and built as well.
xan-x wrote:
Here is my insurgent btw
Insurgent Final

O+
Posted: May 18, 2018 at 4:49 Quote
I saw this deal on PB, https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2310691/

and as you may see, it has cracks that appear to be cosmetic, as i'm only 120lb i'm not too worried but i want to know the opinion of you guys anyways.

That seems like one of the older ones, i would pass on that and i see a crack at the main pivot, thats not cosmetic. The ones by the 3 bolts that attach to the shock link are.

Posted: May 20, 2018 at 23:27 Quote
xan-x wrote:
For the guys who are running the SKS anywhere mount on their Insurgents, how big are the bottles you guys are carrying ? I'm using a M size frame and i can't seem to fit anything more than a 500ml bottle.

Please give me some advice.

On a Large frame, but I can fit a 750ml bottle (and have room for a tube, tools, CO2 in a Mutherload Strap)

photo

Posted: May 20, 2018 at 23:30 Quote
beeboo wrote:
Life-behind-bars-17 wrote:
beeboo wrote:
Here is Luke's DH Wreckoning weapon from last season. I'm thinking about selling my DH bike and trail bike to build myself up the same bike for my local mountain. Am I crazy for wanting to build up this same bad ass gnar shredding machine? I have a few ideas as to how to get a boxxer to fit the 29er wheels and how to get a few more millimetres of travel out of the rear end Pimp

Evil Wreckoning 29 er set up as a DH plow machine Been thinking about this set up for a while now and might run with it this summer Decisions decisions

How would you get more travel out of the rear end and fit a rockshox boxer for box fox 40 on it I am looking to do the same but I don't know these tricks

My plan is simple; I could fit in an 8.75x2.75" shock with offset bushings to gain more travel. An 8.75 shock is the same size as the stock 8.5x2.5" shock when it's compressed. By just guessing, I hope to gain another 10-15mm of travel.

The main issue I'll run into is that Rockshox doesn't offer a 29er boxxer yet, and you won't be able to fit a 29er in the 650B model. Your better off buying a 650B Fox 40 and squeezing in the 29er wheel. That only if you want a dual crown fork.

My plan is to build up a Wreckoning this winter, but instead of a boxxer I'll have a dual position 180mm lyrik. I can drop the travel down to 150mm for when I ride trail and XC. I want one bike that can do it all Big Grin

Fitting an 8.75 x2.75 shock won't work and will actually destroy your frame. The reason is, if you use offset bushings to make the shock "fit" the shock eye to eye is now reduced to a similar length to the stock 8.5 but you now have 2.75" stroke. The other issue is you'll most likely get frame top out while the bike is static or off the ground (i.e jumping)

If you want to do this kind of thing, just buy a YT Capra 29 race with 170mm and run the Fox 49 on the front in what ever travel, It's rated to handle it.

Posted: May 21, 2018 at 6:00 Quote
kit-nz wrote:
xan-x wrote:
For the guys who are running the SKS anywhere mount on their Insurgents, how big are the bottles you guys are carrying ? I'm using a M size frame and i can't seem to fit anything more than a 500ml bottle.

Please give me some advice.

On a Large frame, but I can fit a 750ml bottle (and have room for a tube, tools, CO2 in a Mutherload Strap)

photo

Damm I need to figure out how to put a bigger bottle. You guys think a Fidlock bottle will fit since it has a lower profile mount

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.027685
Mobile Version of Website