Evil Owners Club

PB Forum :: Evil
Evil Owners Club
Posted: Mar 11, 2019 at 15:14 Quote
Has anyone put invisiframe on an evil insurgent LB in Freddie Mercury? I have the frame and it’s quite a rough finish and wondering if it will take as I know it doesn’t work on anodised frames...

Posted: Mar 20, 2019 at 6:45 Quote
So i've got a really good deal on an Insurgent frame the none LB one in black, I've already got a good wheelset with the correct spacing, and I don't need a water bottle mount so it makes sense to me to go with the earlier frame, a few questions to the owners, is there anything I should know prior to purchasing? what's the maximum width tyre I can run on the back? been using a DHR 2.4 WT would like to keep using that tyre. what fork travel do people recommend? I think i'm going to go 160mm but tempted by 170mm.

Thanks

O+
Posted: Mar 20, 2019 at 7:24 Quote
jamesstewart732 wrote:
So i've got a really good deal on an Insurgent frame the none LB one in black, I've already got a good wheelset with the correct spacing, and I don't need a water bottle mount so it makes sense to me to go with the earlier frame, a few questions to the owners, is there anything I should know prior to purchasing? what's the maximum width tyre I can run on the back? been using a DHR 2.4 WT would like to keep using that tyre. what fork travel do people recommend? I think i'm going to go 160mm but tempted by 170mm.

Thanks

I ran a 2.3 Highroller last year. It has plenty of clearance. I moved to an Aggressor 2.5 WT this year and it's a tight clearance but enough to still clear mud. Might catch a bit more debris but I plan on putting in some helicopter tape to protect from scratching.

As for a fork, I ran a 36 150mm/160mm. I'd usually start the season the on the XC trails with it in the 150 position and it makes for a great trail bike. Once all the snow was gone and had more access to elevation I'd set it at 160 which I think is the bike's sweet spot. The only thing you'd have to watch out for with a 170mm fork is slacking out the seat angle. It's already pretty slack with a 160mm fork. I have to slam the seat all the way forward to get in a comfortable pedaling position. But I've also been considering a 170 and sucking it up on the climbs.

Posted: Mar 20, 2019 at 7:35 Quote
That's interesting... I'm 5'10" on a medium Insurgent LB with a 180mm fork and find it rides great with the seat all the way back on the rails.

I've been running a DHRII WT 2.4" no problem on the rear.

chriskneeland wrote:
jamesstewart732 wrote:

Thanks

I ran a 2.3 Highroller last year. It has plenty of clearance. I moved to an Aggressor 2.5 WT this year and it's a tight clearance but enough to still clear mud. Might catch a bit more debris but I plan on putting in some helicopter tape to protect from scratching.

As for a fork, I ran a 36 150mm/160mm. I'd usually start the season the on the XC trails with it in the 150 position and it makes for a great trail bike. Once all the snow was gone and had more access to elevation I'd set it at 160 which I think is the bike's sweet spot. The only thing you'd have to watch out for with a 170mm fork is slacking out the seat angle. It's already pretty slack with a 160mm fork. I have to slam the seat all the way forward to get in a comfortable pedaling position. But I've also been considering a 170 and sucking it up on the climbs.

O+
Posted: Mar 20, 2019 at 7:39 Quote
keju wrote:
That's interesting... I'm 5'10" on a medium Insurgent LB with a 180mm fork and find it rides great with the seat all the way back on the rails.

I've been running a DHRII WT 2.4" no problem on the rear.

chriskneeland wrote:
jamesstewart732 wrote:

Thanks

Now that's interesting. I'm 6' on a large and a 50mm stem. I'm also long in the legs so the seat really sits over the rear tire. I upgraded to the XL for a little more front end balance and plan on running a 35mm stem to compensate for the top tube length.

Posted: Mar 20, 2019 at 8:14 Quote
I'm 6'1 and have long legs so I was thinking a 170mm dropper will work for me and will drop low enough to keep it out the way, my current Kona is a pain climbing so im pretty used to that.

Posted: Mar 20, 2019 at 8:43 Quote
jamesstewart732 wrote:
I'm 6'1 and have long legs so I was thinking a 170mm dropper will work for me and will drop low enough to keep it out the way, my current Kona is a pain climbing so im pretty used to that.

The seat tube on the frame is really shallow on the Insurgent. I have a 125mm Fox Transfer dropper and with it crammed as far as possible into the frame I have to stand on my toes (on the floor) just to stand over the seat with the post fully compressed. I'm 5'10.

Posted: Mar 20, 2019 at 12:13 Quote
keju wrote:
jamesstewart732 wrote:

The seat tube on the frame is really shallow on the Insurgent. I have a 125mm Fox Transfer dropper and with it crammed as far as possible into the frame I have to stand on my toes (on the floor) just to stand over the seat with the post fully compressed. I'm 5'10.

This. I'm 5'11 on a large and could only fit a 125mm fox transfer, a 150mm couldn't sit low enough in the seat tube. I'd definitely check if you're wanting to run a 170mm dropper.

O+
Posted: Mar 20, 2019 at 12:43 Quote
kit-nz wrote:
keju wrote:
jamesstewart732 wrote:

This. I'm 5'11 on a large and could only fit a 125mm fox transfer, a 150mm couldn't sit low enough in the seat tube. I'd definitely check if you're wanting to run a 170mm dropper.

They sell the Large and XL with a 170mm dropper. I was on a 150mm on the Large with 40+ mm of lower post showing. If you're leggy you'll have no problems with a longer dropper.

Posted: Mar 20, 2019 at 13:26 Quote
My 125mm dropper post has about 85mm (edit: 65mm that can actually be inserted if the frame went deeper) of the lower post showing. And it's inserted as far as possible. Pic attached. The 150mm RockShox dropper post that came with the bike, was, as you can imagine, even taller when fully inserted.

125mm post fully inserted

chriskneeland wrote:
kit-nz wrote:
keju wrote:

They sell the Large and XL with a 170mm dropper. I was on a 150mm on the Large with 40+ mm of lower post showing. If you're leggy you'll have no problems with a longer dropper.

O+
Posted: Mar 20, 2019 at 16:39 Quote
keju wrote:
My 125mm dropper post has about 85mm (edit: 65mm that can actually be inserted if the frame went deeper) of the lower post showing. And it's inserted as far as possible. Pic attached. The 150mm RockShox dropper post that came with the bike, was, as you can imagine, even taller when fully inserted.

125mm post fully inserted

chriskneeland wrote:
kit-nz wrote:

What size frame? I can push my 150mm to full insertion. What's stopping it from going down further?

Posted: Mar 20, 2019 at 17:30 Quote
[Quote="chriskneeland"]
keju wrote:
What size frame? I can push my 150mm to full insertion. What's stopping it from going down further?

Haha... I even specified in the photo that it's a medium frame... It hits the cable guide. The 125mm dropper post lower section would take up 248mm to be able to be fully inserted... Which if possible to insert all the way, would be below the bend in the frame.

Fox Transfer Dropper Post Dimensions

O+
Posted: Mar 20, 2019 at 17:38 Quote
[Quote="keju"]
chriskneeland wrote:
keju wrote:

Haha... I even specified in the photo that it's a medium frame... It hits the cable guide. The 125mm dropper post lower section would take up 248mm to be able to be fully inserted... Which if possible to insert all the way, would be below the upper frame tube that the cable is internally routed through.

Haha...sorry, I see that now. Weird. They sell the medium insurgent with a 150mm dropper. Doesn't the dropper cable insert through the downtube and up through the seat tube? It shouldn't stop it at the upper frame tube.

Posted: Mar 20, 2019 at 18:10 Quote
[Quote="chriskneeland"][Quote="keju"]
chriskneeland wrote:
Haha...sorry, I see that now. Weird. They sell the medium insurgent with a 150mm dropper. Doesn't the dropper cable insert through the downtube and up through the seat tube? It shouldn't stop it at the upper frame tube.

I mistyped upper instead of lower -- brain fart. I'm going to pull the thing out later tonight and see if it's possible to maybe shave out some of what's in the tube and blocking the insertion from going any further.

As for what it's sold with, I don't see how that matters. Droppers don't have to be fully inserted. I also have a large Hightower LT and the dropper on it does fully insert, and at its lowest, the seat is only 1cm lower from ground to seat top than the same measurement on my medium Insurgent LB.

Posted: Mar 20, 2019 at 18:29 Quote
The cable guide is 200mm from the top of the seat tube on a MEDIUM Insurgent LB. Here is a photo.

Medium Evil Insurgent LB 2019 Cable guide is 200mm from the top of the seat tube

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016045
Mobile Version of Website