Evil Owners Club

PB Forum :: Other
Evil Owners Club
Posted: Jul 10, 2019 at 9:52 Quote
ColinFerguson wrote:

Looks rad! I'm right now in a mental wrestling match--do I want to sell my Bronson v3 and get an Offering? I'm leaning yes...

Why are you considering selling the Bronson?

Posted: Jul 10, 2019 at 10:22 Quote
mwolpin wrote:
ColinFerguson wrote:

Looks rad! I'm right now in a mental wrestling match--do I want to sell my Bronson v3 and get an Offering? I'm leaning yes...

don't

Posted: Jul 10, 2019 at 13:40 Quote
mwolpin wrote:

I love the Bronson, but sometimes I feel like it's a little too slack and 'bruiser-esque' for my local trails, or at least my everyday riding style (usually a bit more timid than I like to admit). A lot of times, especially when I'm not that comfortable on a new/difficult trail, I'm going pretty slowly and trying to pick my lines carefully. The Bronson with it's 65 degree HTA isn't always the best bike for that--I often feel like it only really shines when I'm bombing something.

I like the geometry of the offering, the fact that it's a 29er (sometimes I freak out when I think a hole is going to swallow my wheel), the coil shock compatibility for small bumps, and especially the promise of running different fork lengths. With a fork that is easily travel adjustable (MRP Ribbon or Cane Creek Helm), I could ride it as a 140/140 trail bike (66.6 degree HTA) most of the time. But if I was going to Whistler or doing something similarly big, I could bump the travel up to 160 in the front and flip the chip, reducing the HTA to 65.2, which sounds pretty good for a park bike.

Posted: Jul 10, 2019 at 13:46 Quote
apatipsychonaut4 wrote:
mwolpin wrote:
ColinFerguson wrote:

don't

What makes you say that?

Posted: Jul 10, 2019 at 15:18 Quote
ColinFerguson wrote:

I love the Bronson, but sometimes I feel like it's a little too slack and 'bruiser-esque' for my local trails, or at least my everyday riding style (usually a bit more timid than I like to admit). A lot of times, especially when I'm not that comfortable on a new/difficult trail, I'm going pretty slowly and trying to pick my lines carefully. The Bronson with it's 65 degree HTA isn't always the best bike for that--I often feel like it only really shines when I'm bombing something.

I like the geometry of the offering, the fact that it's a 29er (sometimes I freak out when I think a hole is going to swallow my wheel), the coil shock compatibility for small bumps, and especially the promise of running different fork lengths. With a fork that is easily travel adjustable (MRP Ribbon or Cane Creek Helm), I could ride it as a 140/140 trail bike (66.6 degree HTA) most of the time. But if I was going to Whistler or doing something similarly big, I could bump the travel up to 160 in the front and flip the chip, reducing the HTA to 65.2, which sounds pretty good for a park bike.

I have no experience on the Bronson, so I can only talk about the switch from Ibis HD3 (27.5 w/ 170F/150R travel).

I had a few requirements for the next bike: 29er, slightly less travel, steeper STA and more playful. I was originally trying to buy the Ripmo because I do love Ibis, but they were sold out in my size and preferred color until later this year. After some research, I considered the Offering and Yeti SB130 LR. The Yeti was really attractive, but it seems more race oriented and I don't race all that much. Everything I read about the Offering said it was close, if not on par, with the other two options.

After two rides on the Offering, there were two immediate areas of improvement:
- The Offering is fantastic in the air compared to the HD3. It feels more precise and stable, yet feels like you gain more distance.
- The STA has helped ease the impact on my lower back, which makes climbing more comfortable.

I'm still getting used to the monster wheelbase, but I think it's just a matter of getting more aggressive and proactive with my riding style. A few times on my first ride I had the front wheel get hung up or out of line because I was riding as if I was on the Ibis.

FWIW - after my first full run from top to bottom on a local trail, I crushed my personal best by 20+ seconds. While riding, I didn't feel like I was pushing as hard as I had on previous rides with the Ibis on the same trail. Maybe it was a good day, maybe it was the bike or maybe it was both.

Saw that you're in Bellingham (I'm just south in Kenmore) and I think the Offering would be awesome at Galbraith and Chuckanut. When it comes to Whistler, if I had the choice between my Commencal Supreme DH, Ibis HD3 or Offering, I'd choose them in that order. I had my Ibis at Whistler a few weeks ago and by the end of the day I was beat up and strongly believe that my DH bike would have lessoned that feeling.

Happy to answer any other questions.

Posted: Jul 10, 2019 at 18:38 Quote
mwolpin wrote:
ColinFerguson wrote:

I have no experience on the Bronson, so I can only talk about the switch from Ibis HD3 (27.5 w/ 170F/150R travel).

I had a few requirements for the next bike: 29er, slightly less travel, steeper STA and more playful. I was originally trying to buy the Ripmo because I do love Ibis, but they were sold out in my size and preferred color until later this year. After some research, I considered the Offering and Yeti SB130 LR. The Yeti was really attractive, but it seems more race oriented and I don't race all that much. Everything I read about the Offering said it was close, if not on par, with the other two options.

After two rides on the Offering, there were two immediate areas of improvement:
- The Offering is fantastic in the air compared to the HD3. It feels more precise and stable, yet feels like you gain more distance.
- The STA has helped ease the impact on my lower back, which makes climbing more comfortable.

I'm still getting used to the monster wheelbase, but I think it's just a matter of getting more aggressive and proactive with my riding style. A few times on my first ride I had the front wheel get hung up or out of line because I was riding as if I was on the Ibis.

FWIW - after my first full run from top to bottom on a local trail, I crushed my personal best by 20+ seconds. While riding, I didn't feel like I was pushing as hard as I had on previous rides with the Ibis on the same trail. Maybe it was a good day, maybe it was the bike or maybe it was both.

Saw that you're in Bellingham (I'm just south in Kenmore) and I think the Offering would be awesome at Galbraith and Chuckanut. When it comes to Whistler, if I had the choice between my Commencal Supreme DH, Ibis HD3 or Offering, I'd choose them in that order. I had my Ibis at Whistler a few weeks ago and by the end of the day I was beat up and strongly believe that my DH bike would have lessoned that feeling.

Happy to answer any other questions.

Thanks so much for all the information. Finding someone who both knows my local trails and made basically the same decision I'm thinking about (I put the Bronson and the HD3 in the same category) is really helpful.

Your comments about how it behaves in the air sound like exactly what I am hoping for.

Can you tell me your size, and what size HD3 you had and what size Offering you moved to? Your comments about the wheelbase make sense. I'm on a large Bronson, but Evil is actually recommending I size down to a medium. In that case, the wheelbase of the Offering would be shorter than that of my Bronson, in both the 140 and 160mm fork configs. The reach on the M Offering would also be slightly longer than my Bronson. How strange is that?

I looked up the geo of the HD3 and it looks like you likely increased wheelbase by ~50mm; that's a big jump.

Makes sense about Whistler, I'm sure a DH bike is always right (for a competent rider). Would your opinion change if you had a 160mm fork on the Offering?

Did you consider the Push coil shock upgrade?

When you refer to your local trails, which are you talking about? Tiger? Duthie?

You probably already know that Evil just moved their world HQ up here; just down the street from my house. That's kind of cool, but I wish they did factory demos. Fanatik has an offering that I'm going to demo next week.

Thanks again.

Posted: Jul 10, 2019 at 19:28 Quote
ColinFerguson wrote:

Thanks so much for all the information. Finding someone who both knows my local trails and made basically the same decision I'm thinking about (I put the Bronson and the HD3 in the same category) is really helpful.

Your comments about how it behaves in the air sound like exactly what I am hoping for.

Can you tell me your size, and what size HD3 you had and what size Offering you moved to? Your comments about the wheelbase make sense. I'm on a large Bronson, but Evil is actually recommending I size down to a medium. In that case, the wheelbase of the Offering would be shorter than that of my Bronson, in both the 140 and 160mm fork configs. The reach on the M Offering would also be slightly longer than my Bronson. How strange is that?

I looked up the geo of the HD3 and it looks like you likely increased wheelbase by ~50mm; that's a big jump.

Makes sense about Whistler, I'm sure a DH bike is always right (for a competent rider). Would your opinion change if you had a 160mm fork on the Offering?

Did you consider the Push coil shock upgrade?

When you refer to your local trails, which are you talking about? Tiger? Duthie?

You probably already know that Evil just moved their world HQ up here; just down the street from my house. That's kind of cool, but I wish they did factory demos. Fanatik has an offering that I'm going to demo next week.

Thanks again.

Re: size, the Offering and HD3 are both larges. I'm 6'0" to 6'1" depending on the day, which put me right in the middle of Evil's sizing guide. After talking with Evil - who is awesome through their chat window - and @nelads, I went with the Large. I was skeptical, but as they both pointed out, the Reach numbers are misleading because of the STA. I know it's crazy, but I never sat on an Offering until mine was delivered and I built it up. You could say I got lucky. The fact you're demoing with Fanatik should provide plenty of comfort when you make a decision.

Re: wheelbase jump, it is indeed. That's why I said I need to change my riding style a bit to be more proactive in certain areas.

Re: Whistler, no, I would still go with the order I shared earlier -> DH, Ibis, Offering. For me, it's more about all-day comfort and having enough travel to save my a** from time to time. The Offering will still have 140 in the rear, which feels light for many of the trails up there, especially later in the season when all of the brake bumps are massive.

I built my Offering with the 150mm Fox 36 and DPX2. I know its only 10mm, but the idea of 160mm felt like I was defeating the purpose of buying another bike since my Ibis originally came with a 160mm fork. I can never really get into RockShox, hence the full Fox build (even seat post). As for the Push, I wanted to keep the bike light and like the DPX2 since I have it on my Ibis.

Tiger and Raging River/Exit 27 are my regular rides. I throw Duthie in the mix when I want to work on something, e.g. jumps. I try to get up to Galbraith and Chuckanut at least once a quarter.

I seem to recall Evil saying that their showroom will be opening in August or October. I forget which one.

Posted: Jul 10, 2019 at 22:06 Quote
Cool, thanks. I'm 5'10", maybe 5'10.5". They have me solidly in the medium camp. That's all good with me, I just find it funny that I'm a large for literally every other bike (now and old-school geo) that I've looked at (SantaCruz, Norco, Ibis, Specialized, Spot, Salsa, Yeti, I should stop listing bikes I've looked at recently...)

Posted: Jul 12, 2019 at 16:06 Quote

built this insurgent LB this year. transferred over some parts from my old bike, a few things left to update. been loving how it rides, only complaint is the knocking noise through rough stuff, I think the chain? I'm running a 30t sprocket so I'll try a slightly bigger one, maybe that will help. the matte paint is way harder to clean than gloss.

Posted: Jul 12, 2019 at 16:17 Quote
jaycagney wrote:

built this insurgent LB this year. transferred over some parts from my old bike, a few things left to update. been loving how it rides, only complaint is the knocking noise through rough stuff, I think the chain? I'm running a 30t sprocket so I'll try a slightly bigger one, maybe that will help. the matte paint is way harder to clean than gloss.

Mud is my favorite color.

Posted: Jul 12, 2019 at 18:53 Quote
jaycagney wrote:

I’ve had the same issue with my Offering. Even though I have X01, it sounds like I left the clutch off a Shimano derailleur. I think it’s the chain against the chain guide, but need to ride more to confirm.

Posted: Jul 12, 2019 at 23:53 Quote
mwolpin wrote:
jaycagney wrote:

I’ve had the same issue with my Offering. Even though I have X01, it sounds like I left the clutch off a Shimano derailleur. I think it’s the chain against the chain guide, but need to ride more to confirm.

It is against the chain guide, Mine does the same. You need to keep an eye on the seat stay as well that gets a lot of chain slap as well

Posted: Jul 13, 2019 at 5:27 Quote
wellbastardfast wrote:
mwolpin wrote:
jaycagney wrote:

It is against the chain guide, Mine does the same. You need to keep an eye on the seat stay as well that gets a lot of chain slap as well

I had the same problem in my Slime Insurgent... I instaled a pair of small washers between the two plates... and voila!!! no more rubbing!!

Posted: Jul 13, 2019 at 11:47 Quote
jamontero wrote:
wellbastardfast wrote:
mwolpin wrote:

I had the same problem in my Slime Insurgent... I instaled a pair of small washers between the two plates... and voila!!! no more rubbing!!

It’s not rubbing for me, but chain slap in bumpy stuff.

Posted: Jul 13, 2019 at 12:55 Quote
mwolpin wrote:
jamontero wrote:
wellbastardfast wrote:

It’s not rubbing for me, but chain slap in bumpy stuff.

Sugru is the answer.....put some on the chain stay and the noise goes away. Picture of my Wreckoning

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016574
Mobile Version of Website