Evil Owners Club

PB Forum :: Other
Evil Owners Club
Posted: Jul 25, 2019 at 10:06 Quote
Chris kovack makes that chain silencer that sits on your chain stay

might help

Posted: Jul 28, 2019 at 11:26 Quote
Hey guys! I have a few questions for ya'll.
Number 1: Has anyone had any issues with the bolt that screws in on the drive side crank coming loose gradually? I have tightened it to the spec 50 Nm 4 times and used loctite but to no success. Anyone else had this issue?

Number 2: I am a bigger dude (about 220 with pads) and was riding the other day and could not seem to keep my shock from bottoming out regardless of the pressure I pumped into it. I read something about rubber bands and spacers and larger canisters. Does anyone have a recommendations for this. I would not be opposed to a coil shock but I can't afford the ElevenSix as much as I would like it.

Posted: Jul 28, 2019 at 12:22 Quote
durango9 wrote:
Number 1: Has anyone had any issues with the bolt that screws in on the drive side crank coming loose gradually? I have tightened it to the spec 50 Nm 4 times and used loctite but to no success. Anyone else had this issue?

Number 2: I am a bigger dude (about 220 with pads) and was riding the other day and could not seem to keep my shock from bottoming out regardless of the pressure I pumped into it. I read something about rubber bands and spacers and larger canisters. Does anyone have a recommendations for this. I would not be opposed to a coil shock but I can't afford the ElevenSix as much as I would like it.
1) Cranks aren't bike/frame specific; and they're not all alike. You might want to specify what cranks you're using.
2) Volume spacers are what you're looking for. They're specific to the shock, but widely available for nearly all shock models.

Posted: Jul 28, 2019 at 12:48 Quote
keju wrote:
durango9 wrote:

1) Cranks aren't bike/frame specific; and they're not all alike. You might want to specify what cranks you're using.
2) Volume spacers are what you're looking for. They're specific to the shock, but widely available for nearly all shock models.

Good point on the cranks. I have Raceface Turbine cranks. Thanks for the answer on the spacers. I will look into that but just out of curiosity, what are the rubber bands used for?

Posted: Jul 28, 2019 at 14:12 Quote
durango9 wrote:
keju wrote:
durango9 wrote:

Good point on the cranks. I have Raceface Turbine cranks. Thanks for the answer on the spacers. I will look into that but just out of curiosity, what are the rubber bands used for?

Use blue loctite on turbine crank bolts. i had that issue but never again after loctite.

Posted: Jul 28, 2019 at 14:39 Quote
sosburn wrote:
durango9 wrote:
keju wrote:

Use blue loctite on turbine crank bolts. i had that issue but never again after loctite.

yeah I've tried that once. Maybe I'll strip it and give that another go.

Posted: Jul 28, 2019 at 17:30 Quote
durango9 wrote:
keju wrote:
durango9 wrote:

The rubber bands are used to take up volume in the canister allowing for you to run less pressure with a more aggressive ramp. This will make it so the shock will be harder to bottom out because the pressure will be higher than usual (shock w/o spacers) in the bottom of the stroke while still having your preferred sag

Posted: Jul 29, 2019 at 14:24 Quote
Maybe some helpful 'Flip Chip vs Angle Set' impressions to share.

Have a Wreckoning, ran it with a Works Components 1.5 degree angle (flip chip @ 'low') set for almost 2 years. Recently pulled it. I ride / live in the PNW, lots of trail riding, occasional XC races (yes on the Wrecker).. hence my inclination to steepen the steering up a bit. The experiment was just to see how I liked it with out the angle set.

Answer: I didn't. The unshakable DH confidence evaporated. I then thought, hey, I'll flip the chip to 'X-low' and maybe that will be a good compromise.

Answer: I wasn't. BB too low now (pedal strikes) and still nowhere close to how it felt with the angle set. Long story short, the angle set is going back in.

Summary:
-> No angle set, chip on 'low' - better for Blue trails, most Blacks too. Double black features.. worse.
->No angle set, chip on 'x-low' - not great at anything with the exception smooth flow. Standout was how much worse steep climbing was in addition to just marginally better DH manners.
->Angle set in and on 'low' -> perfect. Massive 'can do no wrong' DH / double black features and very respectable climbing. Sure I have to pick good lines well in advance on tight stuff.. but well worth it in the confidence safety department when pinning it.

Anyhoo.. hopefully this helps someone else that may be pondering these types of questions.

Posted: Jul 30, 2019 at 0:25 Quote
Hey guys anyone running boxxers on their wreckoning? Thinking of buying some

cheers

Posted: Jul 30, 2019 at 1:52 Quote
sosburn wrote:
durango9 wrote:
keju wrote:

Volume spacers will solve this issue.

If I remember correctly, the Turbine cranks have a preload ring. I would look up how to use it. I had the same issue with my X01 cranks and then researched how to properly use the preload ring. Fixed the issue right away.

Posted: Jul 30, 2019 at 6:33 Quote
mwolpin wrote:
sosburn wrote:
durango9 wrote:

Volume spacers will solve this issue.

If I remember correctly, the Turbine cranks have a preload ring. I would look up how to use it. I had the same issue with my X01 cranks and then researched how to properly use the preload ring. Fixed the issue right away.

oh yeah thats right, the shitty plastic preload ring that lasts about 30 seconds before it breaks again. ive replaced mine about 4 times now, excited to get off of the turbines for that reason alone

Posted: Jul 31, 2019 at 14:57 Quote
HI everyone, i'm looking at buying 2 Evils and torn between the Wreckoning LB, Offering and then an Insurgent LB for my misses. Obviously with the saving on the 2 LB's bikes thats an incentive. But does anyone who bought a wrecker LB whsh they'd gone with an offering? I plan for it to be my everything bike with the intention of doing some Enduro races and perhaps some DH too as well as trail riding. I live in Australia so our mountains aren't exactly giant. I was thinking the wrecker as i'm more interested on the Downs but am worried this will be too much bike.

By the way i'm only about 5'10 in height so I don't think I'll run into the slack seat tube angle issue most taller riders seem to have with Evil. Should I go with Medium or Large? I am thinking large will defiantly avoid the above issue but the bike may not be as playful. Therefore I'm thinking a medium wrecker......advice will be much appreciated.

Posted: Jul 31, 2019 at 23:15 Quote
So what are the Evil boys and girls brewing in Belli? Surely there’s going to be a major update to the line soon. Don’t get me wrong, still love my of wreckoning. Just curious what’s coming next.

Posted: Aug 1, 2019 at 6:47 Quote
ornorton wrote:
HI everyone, i'm looking at buying 2 Evils and torn between the Wreckoning LB, Offering and then an Insurgent LB for my misses. Obviously with the saving on the 2 LB's bikes thats an incentive. But does anyone who bought a wrecker LB whsh they'd gone with an offering? I plan for it to be my everything bike with the intention of doing some Enduro races and perhaps some DH too as well as trail riding. I live in Australia so our mountains aren't exactly giant. I was thinking the wrecker as i'm more interested on the Downs but am worried this will be too much bike.

By the way i'm only about 5'10 in height so I don't think I'll run into the slack seat tube angle issue most taller riders seem to have with Evil. Should I go with Medium or Large? I am thinking large will defiantly avoid the above issue but the bike may not be as playful. Therefore I'm thinking a medium wrecker......advice will be much appreciated.

Hi, I am 5'10" ride AM, XC and some DH in the PNW on a medium Wrecker. They fit big, so a medium would be the 'right' size for you. Re the decision between the Offering.. thats a tougher call. I've considered trading in my Wrecker for an Offering, but at the end of the day - when things get sketchy DH, I am sure glad I have what I have (w a 1.5 angle set)...
Despite its beastly reputation, it climbs just fine. That all being said, if I wasn't in the PNW I might be more inclined to go with the Offering. At the end of the day, in comparison with the Offering, what I am giving up in a climbing platform I am taking back in the confidence department when things get serious. My 2 cents.

Posted: Aug 1, 2019 at 15:23 Quote
CDT77 wrote:
ornorton wrote:

Hi, I am 5'10" ride AM, XC and some DH in the PNW on a medium Wrecker. They fit big, so a medium would be the 'right' size for you. Re the decision between the Offering.. thats a tougher call. I've considered trading in my Wrecker for an Offering, but at the end of the day - when things get sketchy DH, I am sure glad I have what I have (w a 1.5 angle set)...
Despite its beastly reputation, it climbs just fine. That all being said, if I wasn't in the PNW I might be more inclined to go with the Offering. At the end of the day, in comparison with the Offering, what I am giving up in a climbing platform I am taking back in the confidence department when things get serious. My 2 cents.

I agree with CDT77 on the decision between Wreck vs. Offering. I think it mainly comes down to terrain being ridden and what you think will make you happier on the ride. I bring my Wreckoning on all day 30+ mile rides and it pedals great. A lot of bike to bring with you but not really any deal breaker. I have a Push shock and DH casing tires and I don't feel sluggish climbing at all. The geo of the Offering would be more comfortable if you're more concerned with the climbs than the downs. I'm stoked on the confidence my Wrecker gives me on any decent and can still turn around and climb back for more. I do feel over biked at times but once I point downwards it's just point and shoot. I am 5'11 on a Large Wrecker and I feel like a perfect fit. In the end, no bad choice between the Offering vs Wreckoning. Just comes down to what you think will make you happiest on your rides.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013125
Mobile Version of Website